100 Holes of Hope
+ Reply to Thread
    Putter NOVA79 is on a distinguished road

Hybrid Irons - question...

Hey all,

Was looking for some advice..

I just purchased a set of Cleveland HiBore XLi hybrid irons (3-PW) set with steel shafts. However, after my purchase, I noticed that the same exact set is available in graphite at the same price ($400 at Golftown).

Now I'm in a dillema...

I'm currently fairly new to golf (only been playing very casually for about 4 years now) and have always had problems hitting irons of any kind (currently own a crappy generic set of steel irons). My brother-in-law gave me a Goliath hybrid 19 degree and 22 degree clubs with graphite shafts and I have been able to hit it no problem and am very comfortable with it. I love the fact that it's light, easy to hit and I can get good distance with it. This, combined with my frustration with hitting irons, has caused me to make the decision of moving onto hybrid irons as I think it'll help me enjoy the game a whole lot more.

Accuracy has never really been a problem for me (besides when I use my irons) and I can usually hit the ball fairly straight with the graphite clubs I currently own (driver and hybrids).

I decided this morning to call Golftown and asked if it would be possible to swap sets to get the graphite shafts instead. They said there wouldn't be a problem.

Do you think I made a good choice to exchange them? I personally prefer the feel of the graphite clubs I do own and seem to have a very bad track record with steel.

Any thoughts?

PS: I'm only 31 and I've heard that graphite is for old people...at the end of the day, I'm just looking for casual fun with friends, am not too serious and want to enjoy the game.

Thanks!

Hall of Fame jvincent is on a distinguished road jvincent's Avatar
    If you play better with the graphite, go with it.

Plenty of good players (tour level) have graphite in their hybrids and there are some who have them in all their irons because of elbow pain or other reasons.
    Not fat anymore. Need to get better at golf now!

Singles Match Play Champ 2011 John is on a distinguished road John's Avatar
    Yep definitely go for it.

Gotta Post Break68 is on a distinguished road Break68's Avatar
    My first set of real irons were graphite, they work great.
    I have steel shafts now, graphite is an excellent choice. If it feels right to you then go with the graphite.
    Obviously you're not a golfer.

Bill Wood
    No brainer. Graphite. I love the feel of graphite and with my tennis elbow graphite is the way to go. With the Graphite shafts on the market now - especially with the shafts higher in weight - graphite is a good selection. Pro's play a lot of steel and the LPGA play a lot of graphite.

Thread Information