100 Holes of Hope
+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Cart Path Rule

Hybrid View

Golf Canada Rules Official L4 LobWedge is on a distinguished road LobWedge's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by nokids View Post
    you know what's confusing? when would the NPR not be the area which the ball is closest to? would that be a situation where the closest area is an out of bounds area, water, or something unplayable like that?

thanks
    Sure, for a right-handed player, say your ball was laying on a cart path very close to the right-hand edge, and there is an area through the green, right next to that right edge of the path, but it's only a couple of feet wide, and then to the right of that is the margin of a water hazard. There may be "relief" for the ball to the right of the path, but there is not enough room for the ball and your stance. The rule says that your NPR cannot be in a water hazard, so your nearest point of complete relief would now be to the left of the path. There are areas on the right side of the 10th & 15th holes at Loch March where this can happen.
    When applying the Rules, you follow them line by line. You don't read between them.

Golf Padawan nokids is on a distinguished road nokids's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by LobWedge View Post
    Sure, for a right-handed player, say your ball was laying on a cart path very close to the right-hand edge, and there is an area through the green, right next to that right edge of the path, but it's only a couple of feet wide, and then to the right of that is the margin of a water hazard. There may be "relief" for the ball to the right of the path, but there is not enough room for the ball and your stance. The rule says that your NPR cannot be in a water hazard, so your nearest point of complete relief would now be to the left of the path. There are areas on the right side of the 10th & 15th holes at Loch March where this can happen.
    it's starting to make sense. does this relief rule apply to a ball sitting on grass but which is very close to a man-made artificial thing in your way? i had the misfortune on 11th hole at LM to have my ball sit next to the bricks along the cart path. i couldnt make a normal chip shot, so i hacked at it with a sandwedge. could i have moved it without a penalty?
    You only get out of something what you put into it

Golf Canada Rules Official L4 gbower is on a distinguished road
    At the Citizen tournament we had added in the notice to competitors that the bricks are part of the cart path which would allow you free relief for an immovable obstruction. This is the only fair thing as it is a man made obstruction as the cart path is.

Quote Originally Posted by gbower View Post
    At the Citizen tournament we had added in the notice to competitors that the bricks are part of the cart path which would allow you free relief for an immovable obstruction. This is the only fair thing as it is a man made obstruction as the cart path is.
    NICE! next time i'll take my relief and avoid getting a 7 on that hole!

England Golf Referee AAA is on a distinguished road
    Quote Originally Posted by nokids View Post
    it's starting to make sense. does this relief rule apply to a ball sitting on grass but which is very close to a man-made artificial thing in your way? i had the misfortune on 11th hole at LM to have my ball sit next to the bricks along the cart path. i couldnt make a normal chip shot, so i hacked at it with a sandwedge. could i have moved it without a penalty?
    Bricks lining a cart path are by definition an immovable obstruction. They are artificial and almost certainly cannot be moved.

May I suggest that before you play in any tournaments (or even before you play another game) that you read the Definitions. It will make life much easier.

http://www.usga.org/bookrule.aspx?id=14253

Quote Originally Posted by AAA View Post
    Bricks lining a cart path are by definition an immovable obstruction. They are artificial and almost certainly cannot be moved.

May I suggest that before you play in any tournaments (or even before you play another game) that you read the Definitions. It will make life much easier.

http://www.usga.org/bookrule.aspx?id=14253
    you're right, i should flip through that RCGA rules of golf book from time to time.

Thread Information