100 Holes of Hope
+ Reply to Thread
    9 Iron Chanter is on a distinguished road

Major swing rebuild?

Has anyone here ever completely rebuilt their swing? I just did a clinic this morning on the hopes of maybe eeking a a bit more reliability (sometimes cut it) and a few more yards out of my driver (hit it normally around 260ish).

So I'm thinking, ok, here's where the instructor will tweek a couple of things and away we'll go. Not so. The swing I left with is absolutely nothing like what I've done all my life

This is not something that I will be able to convert to immediately; it's gonna take months.

Three things became immediately apparent:

1. It feels awkward as right now, as it is so radically different to how I've hit all my life. That is going to take a major amount of practice and repetition.
    2. The ball flies like now, which I understand will happen until all my timings and body parts are in the right place at the right time.
    3. When I did hit the ball - even though it would slice, (see #2) there was no effort required at impact - the club just tore through the ball. ***good***

No effort at impact = good.
    Way more effort to rebuild swing from scratch -

Any of you who have done this, was there a happy ending?

Thanks,

Allen

Must be Single dbleber is on a distinguished road dbleber's Avatar
    I would never go to a pro that wanted to completely change my swing. Who has the time for that? Unless all of you basics such as grip and setup are completely out to lunch and you have a real groofy homemade swing that you can't hit the broad side of a barn with, I see no reason for a pro to change everything. I good pro will work with your natural swing and give you the basics to ensure proper impact. Alot of good players on tour have very different swings. I hate pros who can only teach text book swings. I'd go see a new pro unless your old swing was completely messed up where you could barely hit the ball.

Pitching Wedge Jayuqo is on a distinguished road
    I took a golf lesson at Golftown in Gatineau not that long ago and it really helped. The instructor (Yvan) didn't change entirely change my swing but took away a lot movements in my swing (my knees were flexing just enough to have a crappy impact with the ball).

The biggest thing was when he told me to swing only at 50% than how I was swinging the club before. I was surprised to see that I wasn't loosing any distance (on the screen at least!!) and the ball was going straight at the target. Result.......played my best game last Sunday at Le Sorcier and I hit my irons like never before.

Lessons aren't cheap, but they definitely help. It took me a while to realize that no drivers/irons will fix your swing........

Singles Match Play Champ 2010 Ruskie is on a distinguished road
    Well, I go through this every year around mid-season. Start of the season is usually nice and relaxed, but by end of May I start trying to "improve" my swing, end up messing it up completely and have to go for a rescue lesson. What I usually get is a couple of swing thoughts that feel completely unnatural, but by practicing them on the range and just swinging on the course I usually end up with something half-way between old and new and finish the season with a nice stable swing. Then, of course, the winter comes and history repeats itself...

Good luck!

9 Iron Chanter is on a distinguished road
    I've done a fair bit of Googling since yesterday on this. I'm pretty sure it was Stack and Tilt that was being presented. I think I'll just stick to what I'm familiar with, remember that I'm back this year from an 8 year lay off from the game, and not be in a rush to be where I was before I took the break. That means lots of range work and lots of rounds...which isn't all that bad.

Golf Canada Rules Official L4 BC MIST is on a distinguished road
    Quote Originally Posted by Chanter View Post
    Has anyone here ever completely rebuilt their swing?
    YES!!. About 15 years ago I converted to a single axis swing, (Natural Golf) starting indoors over the winter and while it felt different/awkard for a short time, they were only feelings and within a short time, it felt natural, pun intended. The net result was improved ball striking.

While my current swing is a little more conventional, it still contains some elements of the SA swing.

Before doing anything radical, I would suggest that you study the various swing methods and find one that will get you into the three essential positions, in the shortest time( hands ahead of the ball at impact, square club face at separation, inside club head path to the ball.) Swinging through the ideals planes going back and returning to the ideal plane at the transition while sounding too technical to some, is actually very easy to achieve, but you must understand what this means before you start changing. To achieve this ideal it takes as long as it takes, but realistically, and if you are an average athlete, you can have a new swing that yields straight or slightly drawing shots with a year of outdoor and indoor practice. Perhaps many would not have the patience to do this but the ball striking journey is worth it.

http://www.golfbetterproductions.com/the-swing.asp

"The Secret of the Golf Swing" will give you an understanding of what of what you are trying to achieve and the Bertholy Exercises will help you achieve it.

7 Iron mikec222 is on a distinguished road
    I've done a fair bit of Googling since yesterday on this. I'm pretty sure it was Stack and Tilt that was being presented. I think I'll just stick to what I'm familiar with, remember that I'm back this year from an 8 year lay off from the game, and not be in a rush to be where I was before I took the break. That means lots of range work and lots of rounds...which isn't all that bad.

geeezz don't change to stack and tilt, I can't even believe a teacher would start teaching you that without even discussing what he was intending to do. Weir and baddely have ditched the creators of the swing as coaches. I think certain aspects of the swing have some merits, but I wouldn't consider changing to it unless you are absolutly brutal with a traditional and you have a ton of time and desire to practice.

I would do a little research and asking around and find another pro.

Putter DavidGass is on a distinguished road

Stack & Tilt

I've done a fair bit of Googling since yesterday on this. I'm pretty sure it was Stack and Tilt that was being presented.
    Hi Allen,
    I have been looking for Stack & Tilt teacher in the Ottawa area, do you have the name of this golf instructor?
    Thanks!
    -Dave

Thread Information