CorporateGolfXtra 2024
+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Ottawa Drivers

Team Match Play Champ 2010 Singles Match Play Champ 2013 Hearzy is on a distinguished road Hearzy's Avatar

Ottawa Drivers

One of the biggest things I have noticed about living in Ottawa is how SLOW people drive! Coming from Toronto area (an hour east) the speed limit on the 401 there seems to be 120. you barely see anyone driving 100. Here... everyone obeys the speed limit! Not that it is a bad thing... Just surprising is all.
    Anyone else notice this?
    Not to mention how slow everyone drives as soon as there is a bit of rain

Uber Poster LBH is on a distinguished road LBH's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Hearzy View Post
    That's the part that drives me crazy!!!

Hybrid Gary Madore is on a distinguished road
    The number of people putting along the 417 at 70kmh or so make me want to buy a gun. A BIG gun...

Argh!

And don't get me going on people who have NO clue as to basic driving rules: People here can't merge, they block intersections, take their sweet time going through advance-greens.... ARGH!

OK, well, I'd like to say that I feel better now, but I don't really... heh

Cheers!

Gary

NFL Guru fundonny is on a distinguished road fundonny's Avatar
    I suffer road rage on a daily basis.
    Donny Vantage NFL Guru, since 1974
    Money won is twice as sweet as money earned

Way Beyond Help rezadue is on a distinguished road rezadue's Avatar
    You said it brother! Ottawa drivers are generally clueless.

I drive from Kanata to Blair road for work each day. And I see it all.

People seem to think the left lane on the 417 is for reading, pondering their future, talking on the phone, lounging on the bench seat of their truck or just cruising along. Like Gary said, 95% people in this city don't know what a merge lane is for and don't know what merging is; or how to do it.

Grrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr

Quote Originally Posted by Gary Madore View Post
    The number of people putting along the 417 at 70kmh or so make me want to buy a gun. A BIG gun...

Argh!

And don't get me going on people who have NO clue as to basic driving rules: People here can't merge, they block intersections, take their sweet time going through advance-greens.... ARGH!

Cheers!

Gary
    Proud member of the 2009 Ryder Cup winning team

Team Match Play Champ 2010 Singles Match Play Champ 2013 Hearzy is on a distinguished road Hearzy's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Gary Madore View Post

Argh!

Cheers!

Gary

That's another thing... Who the hell slows down in the MERGING LANE? My favourite one is where there is a merging lane... For example... Centrepointe and Baseline. And people stop... in a merging lane, waiting for a break in the traffic... And yes, I have seen that once on the 417.. Actually That was in Quebec... But we expect that

Hall of Fame Hacker is on a distinguished road Hacker's Avatar
    My pet peeve are the A**holes that use the bus lanes to speed ahead of a huge line of traffic. Richmond at Carling West bound just before the Tim Horton's is the worse one. I want to do grave bodily harm to every idiot that pulls into that lane

Quote Originally Posted by Hacker View Post
    My pet peeve are the A**holes that use the bus lanes to speed ahead of a huge line of traffic. Richmond at Carling West bound just before the Tim Horton's is the worse one. I want to do grave bodily harm to every idiot that pulls into that lane

One of the worse is also right after the split of the 416/417. Just before moodie westbound. It seems there is one guy who will use it. Then you get some other 'heroes' who were too chicken to do it alone to follow... LOL

Monday Qualifier 314314 is on a distinguished road
    What's the rush!... You are no longer in TO. Most of the people respect driving limits and that what I like about Ottawa...and yes, there are a lot of bad drivers but I do no think is limited to Ottawa.

There are few that they think they are Fittipaldi but in fact driving faster does not make you a better driver.

Take some time to learn the streets so you can avoid traffict and change your route from time to time....if you leave early enough, you can avoid traffict during rush hour.

One of the biggest things I have noticed about living in Ottawa is how SLOW people drive! Coming from Toronto area (an hour east) the speed limit on the 401 there seems to be 120. you barely see anyone driving 100. Here... everyone obeys the speed limit! Not that it is a bad thing... Just surprising is all.
    Anyone else notice this?

Arrow shooter Chieflongtee is on a distinguished road Chieflongtee's Avatar
    In Ottawa people yield when there is yield sign. Not so in Montreal or the GTA
    Live as if you were to die tomorrow. Learn as if you were to live forever.
    Mahatma Gandhi

Par moochie is on a distinguished road moochie's Avatar
    The problem is that at rush hour everyone gets on the queensway and heads straight for the far left passing lane. I stay in the slow lane and move faster at rush hour.

Otherwise, they drive in the passing lane at 100 kph and won't move over regardless of what is lined up behind them like it's their God given right to be there. We need a mad max type vehicle to shove them out of the way. I was just in the UK. They drive the M series highways at 90 mph (yes, miles). When you come up behind someone, they almost roll their vehicle getting out of your way.

Playing Winter Rules Foddz is on a distinguished road Foddz's Avatar
    Drivers here are waaaaaay better than from back in my hometown of Winnipeg.

Nothing like Farmer Joe coming into town and bringing his rural driving habits with him. Don't even get me started on the soccer moms, or the type-A personalities who feel the need to swerve in and out of bumper-to-bumper traffic at 80km in a 60km zone. Heaven help you if you ever want to merge, you'll have to force your way in.

Let me tell you, the old 'Friendly Manitoba' slogan on all the license plates only applies once you're off the roads

Granted, I still avoid the 417 like the plague at rush hour unless I'm travelling upstream.
    Wannabe Golf

Hall of Fame jvincent is on a distinguished road jvincent's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Chieflongtee View Post
    In Ottawa people yield when there is yield sign. Not so in Montreal or the GTA
    What really burns me is people who STOP at a yield sign. If there's no traffic coming, just go!!!!! You should have been looking for the oncoming traffic before you entered the intersection.
    Not fat anymore. Need to get better at golf now!

Hybrid Gary Madore is on a distinguished road
    And people stop... in a merging lane, waiting for a break in the traffic... And yes, I have seen that once on the 417
    The only traffic accident I have been in in my adult life:

- Doofus in front of me STOPS at a yield in a dedicated right-turn lane.

- I stop behind him (yes, it was a "him") and silently curse the doofus

- Doofus waits until 3 lanes of traffic are clear before deciding to turn right, and begins to roll

- I do my shoulder check, see that the way is clear for me too, and begin to roll

- WHAM! - Doofus changed his mind and stopped AGAIN, this time in the merge lane. I am now parked in Doofus's trunk

Guess who's at fault? That's right: Me (!) ... The only one of us who knew how to drive and who was obeying traffic regulations.

$#%$%^$%$&^$$#&%*^$#%$#^(*&_(*&*%$

(ahem)

Cheers!

Gary

Golf Guru justsomeguy is on a distinguished road
    _________ drivers are absolutely terrible!!!! You can fill in the blank with whatever city you want, because they're all the same!

Having said that, I'll take the Ottawa "rush hour" over Toronto any day. I had the Burlington to Etobicoke commute for 4 years and a killer Burlington to Markham commute for one year - nothing in this town even comes close! Its good to be home.

Founder Kilroy is on a distinguished road Kilroy's Avatar
    Here... everyone obeys the speed limit!
    Sounds like a good thing.
    The safe and recommended way to drive.

These are strange complaints you have.
    Life dinnae come wit gimmies so yuv got nae chance o' gitt'n any from me.

Quote Originally Posted by Kilroy View Post
    Sounds like a good thing.
    The safe and recommended way to drive.

These are strange complaints you have.

I....... Got nothing to that... lol...

Competitor Golfer_Gofer is on a distinguished road Golfer_Gofer's Avatar
    I grew up and learned to drive in Toronto on the 401/427/410/403 etc. 120 was always my highway cruising speed, and not once did I have a "oh sh@t!" moment or a near miss. Now living in Ottawa and using the 417 I have a number of very close calls caused by drivers traveling much too slow. Slow drivers (anything below the speed limit) are a danger mainly because they create such a hazard on the inside lane and merging lanes.

My theory the 401 is safer within the GTA is that poor or nervous drivers avoid the 401 because the 16 lanes can be so scary. My 2 cents anyway.

I didn't even say anything about cars with quebec plates. LOL.
    Last edited by Golfer_Gofer; 06-12-2009 at 06:41 AM.
    Scott - Golf...Fail.

Hall of Fame mpare is on a distinguished road mpare's Avatar
    I can't help but express the frustration that I have experienced with Ontario drivers since moving to this lovely province in 1999. Are they not taught that the left lane is for passing or turning? It is not simply an additional lane on which one can motor along while driving at a reduced speed! You rarely see this in the Maritimes. You always see it in Ontario. Come on drivers, wake up, and get out of the left lane unless you are about to turn, or you are passing.

Thanks. I feel better for having gotten that off my chest.

Thread Information