100 Holes of Hope
+ Reply to Thread
    Fairway Junkie dasnutz is on a distinguished road dasnutz's Avatar

9 hole rates????

My fiance has a hard time playing 18 holes so she plays 9 and then rides along for the final 9. Called Greensmere yesterday to book a tee time and asked if they have 9 hole rates. Nope! That's ridiculous, why should we have to pay full pop for 9 holes? I guess it would just make sense!

Hopelessly Addicted broken27 is on a distinguished road broken27's Avatar
    I can understand your frustration, but at the same time, I believe that a course should be able to determine what kind of "package" they wish to sell. Some courses are laid out in such a way that if they had 9-hole pricing, people would just pay for 9 then continue to play 18.

Call Canadian! They have 9.

Dan
    [URL=http://www.sportsfiend.ca/]Sportsfiend.ca - Make You Opinion Into News...

Hopelessly Addicted el tigre is on a distinguished road el tigre's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by dasnutz
    My fiance has a hard time playing 18 holes so she plays 9 and then rides along for the final 9. Called Greensmere yesterday to book a tee time and asked if they have 9 hole rates. Nope! That's ridiculous, why should we have to pay full pop for 9 holes? I guess it would just make sense!
    Many 18-hole courses do not have 9-hole rates - those that do usually restrict them to very early in the morning or late in the day. Whether you book for 9 or 18 holes, you are still taking up a tee time.

I find it very unusual that ANY public course would allow you to play 18 holes while your partner only pays for 9 but accompanies you for the entire 18 (playing or not). Generally speaking, if your fiance did not pay for the final 9 holes, then the policy at most courses I've been to is that she is not entitled to be on the course for the final 9 holes. A private or semi-private course might make an exception for members, but in my experience most public courses do not allow this.

I think your best bet is to book twilight rounds when playing with your fiance. That way you BOTH pay rates similar to 9-holes, but you can each play as many as you want. At this time of year, you can still get in 18 if you start at 4:00 pm.
    [COLOR=green][B]Golf is a game invented by the same people who think music comes out of bagpipes.[/B][/COLOR]

I'm a regular em69 is on a distinguished road em69's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by broken27
    I can understand your frustration, but at the same time, I believe that a course should be able to determine what kind of "package" they wish to sell. Some courses are laid out in such a way that if they had 9-hole pricing, people would just pay for 9 then continue to play 18.
    That is the marshalls job of verifying who paid for 9 and who paid for 18. I've been on a course where the marshalls have asked to see our receipt.

3 Wood LongHitta is on a distinguished road LongHitta's Avatar
    I find it very unusual that ANY public course would allow you to play 18 holes while your partner only pays for 9 but accompanies you for the entire 18 (playing or not). Generally speaking, if your fiance did not pay for the final 9 holes, then the policy at most courses I've been to is that she is not entitled to be on the course for the final 9 holes. A private or semi-private course might make an exception for members, but in my experience most public courses do not allow this.

I see people doing that all the time. A friend of mine does that sometimes, pays for 18, plays 9, gets tired or pissed off, then she rides along for back 9. I don't see why the course would care, its still Money in the pocket. And its one less person hacking up the course.

Hopelessly Addicted el tigre is on a distinguished road el tigre's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by LongHitta
    I see people doing that all the time. A friend of mine does that sometimes, pays for 18, plays 9, gets tired or pissed off, then she rides along for back 9. I don't see why the course would care, its still Money in the pocket. And its one less person hacking up the course.
    If you pay for 18, they don't care. You paid for 18 holes, so you are entitled to be on the course for all 18 holes. The original poster in this thread wanted to only pay for the front 9, but still ride along for the back 9.

Quote Originally Posted by em69
    That is the marshalls job of verifying who paid for 9 and who paid for 18. I've been on a course where the marshalls have asked to see our receipt..
    You must be one of the few. In over 200 rounds at 50 different courses, I've never been asked by a marshall to show my receipt after the first tee. Of course, many courses give you a bag tag so they don't have to ask. Personally, I don't think I would appreciate being asked to show my receipt every time I saw a marshall on the back 9.

As I said, many 18-hole courses do allow 9-hole play early in the mornings - that's because they can start these people on the back 9 while the first groups are teeing off on the front. That also makes the marshall's job easier, because everyone on the course finishes at 18. This scenario doesn't really work that well when one person wants to play the full 18 though.
    [COLOR=green][B]Golf is a game invented by the same people who think music comes out of bagpipes.[/B][/COLOR]

That is the marshalls job of verifying who paid for 9 and who paid for 18. I've been on a course where the marshalls have asked to see our receipt.
    Huh, can't say that this has ever happened to me. I've been asked to show a receipt to the starter at #1 (or #10 in shotgun situations), but never after I've teed off on my first hole.

Dan

Huh, can't say that this has ever happened to me. I've been asked to show a receipt to the starter at #1 (or #10 in shotgun situations), but never after I've teed off on my first hole.

Dan

Oh then I guess it's never happened before...my bad. I must have lied.

Oh then I guess it's never happened before...my bad. I must have lied.
    Don't get irritable, I wasn't accusing you of lying. As you can tell, I'm not the only person who hasn't had it happen to them (see El Tigre's post above). I was just commenting on the rarity of the situation you described.

Dan

I'm still not understanding your point. You've lost sight in the topic.

Must be Single Sakuraba is on a distinguished road Sakuraba's Avatar
    How about asking at the pro shop if they will allow your fiance to caddy for you on the back 9? Its better than saying she's just along for the ride.

I had my wife come along with me in the cart for a late 9, and all I had to pay was her cart rate, as she had no clubs. maybe if you put her clubs back in the car at the turn it might work.

5 Wood golfmania is on a distinguished road
    Its very simple. Some courses allow 9 hole play, some don't. Go to the ones that do. Problem solved. Like the 18 course better? Shell out.

Getting Exemptions The Shtick is on a distinguished road The Shtick's Avatar

9 hole rates vs 18

Most courses offer only 18 hole rates because they want to fill up the tee-off sheets. Whether you play 9 or 18, it's up to you. But don't think that you can take a "prime time" and pay half the price. Bottom line is the course ends up losing money. It only makes sense on their part. Best solution is to play later in the day when rates are cheaper OR at most courses you can pay the late day fee and hop on the back nine early in the morning (but you can ONLY play 9 holes).

Birdie mr shank is on a distinguished road
    I would probably be irritated if this had ever happened to me. Which course?

Pitching Wedge Vulcan is on a distinguished road

Lost $$$

If a course allows 9 hole rates on an 18 hole course, they will lose money overall.

However, if you have 4 golfers and only 3 want to play 18, odds are the course didn't have another 18 hole golfer to add to the group instead of the 9 hole golfer, so it would make sense to allow it.

The problem strats when groups call to book 9 holes. A foursome booking9 holes on a Saturday morning will cost the course money.

In terms of the "caddy" statement, I was at a course this year and they charged my friends wife one full green fee price to caddy. We had a foursome and four sets of clubs. She was the fifth and was going to be his caddy. They were in town for the weekend and she had to pay full price.

I thought that was a bit much. I realize that for insurance purposes, everybody on the course has to have paid something, but full price???

Too much!

Getting Exemptions The Shtick is on a distinguished road The Shtick's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Vulcan
    In terms of the "caddy" statement, I was at a course this year and they charged my friends wife one full green fee price to caddy. We had a foursome and four sets of clubs. She was the fifth and was going to be his caddy. They were in town for the weekend and she had to pay full price.
    That is wrong (on the club's part). My caddy has never paid before but I do let the proshop know in advance just to make sure that they don't charge her. Mind you, I do this in tournament situations only but it's always helpful to let the staff of the course know what you're intentions are BEFORE you go there.

Birdie mr shank is on a distinguished road
    Quote Originally Posted by The Shtick
    That is wrong (on the club's part). My caddy has never paid before but I do let the proshop know in advance just to make sure that they don't charge her. Mind you, I do this in tournament situations only but it's always helpful to let the staff of the course know what you're intentions are BEFORE you go there.
    I had this same thing happen at GlenMar. I brought along my then girlfriend who was not a golfer & just wanted to walk the course & caddy. The proshop informed me due liabilities she would need to pay a green fee. Since we had driven a fair distance to get there we grudgingly paid the green fee for her.
    Here's the kicker - the following year I played intersectionals at GlenMar & just about every player there had a caddie. Neither my caddy nor any of the other caddies were required to pay green fees to be able to caddy.
    Obviously the liabilities line the guy in the pro shop fed me was a pile of B.S.
    Needless to say I haven't since golfed at GlenMar.

Thread Information