CorporateGolfXtra 2024
+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
    Golf Guru justsomeguy is on a distinguished road
    Blows to the head should be penalized, period. Body-checking is supposed to be about taking the man off the puck - not taking the man's head off of the rest of his body. Legal or not, it was a cheap shot and I'm glad that Spezza stood up for his teammate.

IMHO, the only difference between leading with the elbow into the head vs hitting with the shoulder first and then bringing the elbow up to the head is whether the penalty is for elbowing or roughing. Either way it should be called. To let that go and then give Spezza an instigator penalty was totally bush-league.

Competitor Golfer_Gofer is on a distinguished road Golfer_Gofer's Avatar
    That wasn't a blow to the head, that was a blow to the body, the only reason he got his bell rung was because he was looking at this skates like a PeeWee player. He has to be aware of who's on the ice with him..

They arn't figure skating out there.
    Scott - Golf...Fail.

Sleeps here davevandyk is on a distinguished road davevandyk's Avatar
    should be an interesting next few games at Scotiabank... Sabres with Lalime starting and then leafs with Gerber starting. Goin to the game tonite expecting a good game which they always seem to be between these two teams.

Singles Match Play Champ 2009 Team Match Play Champ 2013, 2014 leftylucas is on a distinguished road leftylucas's Avatar
    I guess Spezza is pleased that the deadline has passed, he has reverted back to his old style again although I saw one rush when he entered the O zone and there were 4 defenders between him and where he wanted to pass he thought twice and did not pass! Good one there but then he was quickly knocked-off the puck.

We will see what the rest of the league and Murray think about him this summer, if he gets traded and it looks like a mediocre deal then we know Murray has had enough. I must say I liked Shannon with Alfie and Heatly.

I thought that Elliot palyed really poorly again, 3 of the goals were weak. He seems to react late and I am really happy we got Leclair, Auld is a great back-up
    Lefty Lucas
    I am abidextrous, I once golfed right-handed and now I shoot left-handed just as badly!

Sleeps here davevandyk is on a distinguished road davevandyk's Avatar
    Spezza is what Spezza is... period. Ya he gives up the puck a lot, but he also makes passes that nobody else on the team can make. What the average fan doesn't realise is that most of the best players in the league have a TON of giveaways, but also a TON of amazing plays.

Yes I know, Spezza is #7 in the league in giveaways.... but you know he is ahead of him:

1. Kovalchuk - Points: 36-40=76
    2. Wideman 12-32=44
    3. Crosby 25-57=82
    4. Malkin 29-65=94
    5. Savard 21-52=73
    6. Kozlov 21-33=54
    7. Spezza 23-30=53

Crosby and Malkin both have nearly 20 giveaways each more than Spezza, so I think its just a case of people in Ottawa seeing Spezza everynight.

It is also the fact that he is not setting up as many goals as the last few years to offset the giveaways. He's actually averaging less giveaways/game than last year.

Eagle golfott is on a distinguished road
    Interesting, but if you look at salaries of those players, and the point totals you reference, spezza is way out of his league.

Spezza wil be the 10 highest paid player next year , barring any really aggresive UFA signings, that is way to high for what he brings to a team.

Ottawa has 3 players in the top 10 of highest paid for next year,
    Quote Originally Posted by davevandyk View Post

1. Kovalchuk - Points: 36-40=76 7.5 million
    2. Wideman 12-32=44 Defense $3.75
    3. Crosby 25-57=82 9.0 million
    4. Malkin 29-65=94 9.0 million
    5. Savard 21-52=73 5.0 million
    6. Kozlov 21-33=54 UFA (2.5 million in 08-09)
    7. Spezza 23-30=53 8.0 million

Singles Match Play Champ 2009 Team Match Play Champ 2013, 2014 leftylucas is on a distinguished road leftylucas's Avatar
    Give aways is one thing, complete lack of any back checking and using the poke check to its maximum usage is what drives me crazty. Clouston is just as nuts putting Spezza out for the last minutes of tight games, he almost cost them the game Thursday night with less thana minute to go, Spezz gets the puck and instead of firing it off the boards he deeks out 2 of the 3 guys before they get the pcuk back and almost score. Same thing last night. He is a liability so just put him out when your ahead and not in the last 5 minutes.
    Lefty Lucas
    I am abidextrous, I once golfed right-handed and now I shoot left-handed just as badly!

Thread Information