100 Holes of Hope
+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Twilight Rates

steve

Lightbulb Twilight Rates

We all know that golfing 3-4 times a week can get costly. Here are a few twilight rates at some good golf courses around the Ottawa region (within 40 minutes).

Pakenham: $21 after 4pm Mon-Thur ($24 on the weekend)
    Casselview: $16 after 4pm Mon-Thur and $25 after 2pm
    Meadows: $21 after 4pm

If you know of any other golf course twilight hours or specials let me know. allears

Hopelessly Addicted el tigre is on a distinguished road el tigre's Avatar

Lightbulb

The best twilight rate (at a decent course) that I've come across is at Hammond - $15 after 2 pm and only $10 after 5 pm. Jeez, at those rates I can go golfing with the money I find in the couch!

steve

Thumbs up A good course?

El tigre,

Where is Hammond? Is it a good course?

Hammond is east of Ottawa. Take Navan Road to the village of Navan, and head east out of Navan on Joanisse Rd. The golf course is past Sarsfield and north of the village of Hammond. It is quite a nice course - most of the fairways are lined with pine trees (so there is a premium on accuracy), the greens are good, and there is a large hill that comes into play on several holes (a steep, uphill dogleg right par-4, followed by a 200yd+ par 3 from a high elevated tee). Worth the regular price, and a steal at twilight!

BTW, if you golf 3-4 times a week, then you should seriously look into the OttawaGolf club on this site. With the 50% discount you are generally golfing for less than twilight rates, but playing in prime times (and thus, assured of getting in all 18 holes!)

Pitching Wedge MooseKnuckle is on a distinguished road
    I have only played the front nine at Hammond, and it is a nice course. It kinda reminds me of Eidelweiss, but with not as much elevation.

If they are charging only $15 after 2pm, you will see me there on Saturday.
    Playing golf is very similar to life.

You gotta have lots of spare balls in your bag to make the perfect score, cause over time, your going to lose some of them...:shot

7 Wood chad is on a distinguished road

Hammond Twilight

There is only one Problem with the twilight rate at Hammond, If you are not there right at 5:00 pm you are in for a pretty long wait to tee off. 10$ is a great deal but some nights you will only be able to play 6 or 7 holes because you have to wait for an hour and half to tee off!

Sand Wedge michaeld is on a distinguished road

What about free?

Okay, I'll never steal a round of golf. But, yesterday I stopped at a local course after six p.m. to play a late nine holes. The shop was locked up. What did I do?

Went back to the car, threw on my shoes and played nine, of course! Played three balls, no putting, in 1 hour and 20 minutes. Of course, if someone would have asked, I'd have paid

steve

Talking Thanks

Thanks for the info El tigre and Moose Knuckle...I will definitely have a look.

Hybrid clankoffdatee is on a distinguished road
    [QUOTE]Originally posted by el tigre
    [B- most of the fairways are lined with pine trees (so there is a premium on accuracy), the greens are good, and there is a large hill that comes into play on several holes (a steep, uphill dogleg right par-4, followed by a 200yd+ par 3 from a high elevated tee).

I have been playing Hammond for years and am very familiar with the course. It has been a course that i have used often as a good practice place. At $10 after 5 it is a much better place to practice than any driving range. But to suggest it puts a premium on accuracy is stretching it a bit. It is wide open. Those who bomb it will score very well.Sometimes you even have to wait to tee off as someone is coming the other way from the middle of your fairway. Fine etiquette!! Beware for errant shots when putting and waiting to t, as almost every green or t box is within range of another hole.Wear a helmet as it the course doesn't exactly attract the single digit handicapper so ther are alot of bananas coming off $600 stix. The greens are fair a majority of the time. The course is not always kept in the best of conditions and has been known to be poorly marshalled. No offence el tigre but this is not Pine Valley. It is however a good value for the dollar. Kind of like the Giant Tiger of golf courses.

No offence taken. I wasn't trying to imply that it was on par with Eagle Creek or Stonebridge, but it has always been in good shape when I've gone.

And yes, I've also seen people hit their ball over the pine trees to the next fairway - but that is a reflection on the golfer rather than the course. At $10 a round you get all kinds! It's not a true shot-making course like Emerald Links, but unlike truly wide open courses like Cloverdale, Casselview, and Manderley, you'll be chipping out of the pine trees all day if you're not straight.

Marshals? They have marshals? You're right, I don't think I've ever seen one there. It must be a 9 to 5 job!

Green Jacket GarthM is on a distinguished road GarthM's Avatar

Thumbs up

Come on now Steve (or should I say Salty??) don't forget the Dome....

5 hours before dark $25
    3 hours before dark $16 (you can play the front twice in less than 3 hour no dooubt!)

Good bang for you buck at those prices...

Later,

G.

Way Beyond Help Colby is on a distinguished road Colby's Avatar

Stonebridge

I was out at Stonebridge last night for their twilight. $25.00 after 5:00. I started about 5:15-5:20 and I was done 18 before dark, walking, at 8:10.

The course is in fantastic shape, and with the fescue cut down, no lost balls!

Cheers
    Colby

In the Zone 4jag is on a distinguished road 4jag's Avatar

I was there too.

Played stonebridge last night too, our 4some teed off just after 4pm and finished at 8pm.

colby, you must've been right behind us - fairway were great but I was a little disappointed in the greens or should I say browns. Maybe I'm spoiled by Cloverdale's fantastic greens but I expected more from Stonebridge.

Greens

The greens are just trimmed down, there was nothing dead there. If you watch on the tour, the greens are never really green, but seem to be on the brownish shade. I found them to be in great shape, my ball was rolling really well. Well, always to the right it seems. Is that me, or the ball? Stupid Wilson ads!

Cheers
    Colby

Maybe I'm just pissed at the 33 putts I took but..

Based on the five rounds I've played so far on 4 different courses I'd rank the Stonebridge greens dead last, no question.

I know it is early but compared to the other courses which were trimmed and green (cloverdale's had to be rolling to about a 10 on the stimp meter last sun. - short, rolled and wind dried and yes very green).

I have a bentgrass green in my backyard and I'd be a little concerned if my green was as brown and dry as the ones at stonebridge last night.

Many of the brown greens you see on tv are bermuda grass or excessively trimed and dried to increase their speed for the pros.

Dont get me wrong they are not terrible and I'm sure they are not the worst in the area by far and they were very playable just not what I expected from a premier facility.

Hall of Fame NoBack is on a distinguished road NoBack's Avatar

Angry off the subject but.....

4jag...........If you think your 33 putts was bad...............what would you say if you had 19 three putts after 5 rounds? Oh yeah one round had zero three putts so really in 4 rounds....7 three putts at Manderley today.......was ready to snap the putter but didnt
    I've spent most of my life golfing .... the rest I've just wasted"
    www.nationalcapitalgolftour.com

Sand Wedge michaeld is on a distinguished road

Re: Greens

Originally posted by Colby
    [B]The greens are just trimmed down, there was nothing dead there. If you watch on the tour, the greens are never really green, but seem to be on the brownish shade.
    I like brown greens, that have been dressed and rolled well. Around here, the muny-type greens are mostly carpets. They don't aerate enough and the grass gets thick and nappy. Even the better courses I find.

Greens that I like: Dome. These guys put alot of money into the moss.

Greens that I usually don't : Emerald links or the Meadows. No dressing, not aerated enough.

It could be me...

I thought the greens (browns?!?) played very true. They were hard enough that your ball, even on a high 9 or wedge, barely made a dent, but not hard in the way that the ball bounced stupidly. The shot came down and reacted the way I thought it should.

I have had some high shots on other greens make a ball mark so big, repairing it leaves a hideous mark. At Stonebridge, a nice couple of twists of the repair tool, a pat or two with the putter, and you could hardly tell that the ball had hit there.

I guess I will have to try Cloverdale again, I haven't been out there for a few years, it was when they still were not rated, and I wasn't very impressed. Lots of wind and not much variety to the course. Easy with the flames, that's what I remember from being there once a long time ago. I had also played Eagle Creek the day before, so it's a tough comparison.

Cheers
    Colby

no flame here

My buddies and I call Cloverdale the "confidence boosting course". If your game is lagging go play the 'dale and get a lift.

It is the only course I have ever broken 80 on and I'm regularly 74-76 from the tips. For comparison, I was 94 at Stonebridge on Tues.!

This time of year with virtually no tall fescue it is hard to loose a ball even if you try. And the greens provide huge targets.

I'll be back to the 'bridge next week for some revenge! I better get to like it - I bought a package.

Fairways

At Stonebridge, you have to hit fairways. I have had good rounds there, and I have had terrible rounds there :crying

It's not as bad this time of year, the fescue is cut down, but when it is grown in, scores sky rocket when you don't hit the fairway. I've shot low 80's to low hundreds depending on my accuracy, and my "I can hit it out of here!!" attitude

Cheers
    Colby

Thread Information