100 Holes of Hope
+ Reply to Thread
    Bogie Marmotte is on a distinguished road Marmotte's Avatar

Scores in match Play

In match play you normally count the wins/losses/even for each hole against each opponent. At least this what I understand of the rule.
    In Slammer Tour, the practice is also to record the score for each hole. The score is used for statistics only, the match play scores are used for establishing the final result for the day.

When you decide to "concede the hole" to speed up the play when you have no chance of winning the hole, how do you record the score ? Is there such thing as a maximum score ? I am not clear on which rules should apply.
    [COLOR=Sienna][SIZE=2][FONT=Palatino Linotype]If you bury my ashes on a golf course, just make sure that they are out of bounds, that will be a natural continuation to my life[/FONT][/SIZE][/COLOR]

Way Beyond Help Colby is on a distinguished road Colby's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by 3295
    In match play you normally count the wins/losses/even for each hole against each opponent. At least this what I understand of the rule.
    In Slammer Tour, the practice is also to record the score for each hole. The score is used for statistics only, the match play scores are used for establishing the final result for the day.

When you decide to "concede the hole" to speed up the play when you have no chance of winning the hole, how do you record the score ? Is there such thing as a maximum score ? I am not clear on which rules should apply.
    From the RCGA Handicapping Manual:

4-1. Unfinished Holes and Conceded Strokes
    If a player starts but does not complete a hole or is conceded a stroke, that player shall record for handicap purposes their most likely score. The most likely score consists of the number of strokes already taken plus, in the player's best judgement, the number of strokes that the player would need to complete the hole from that position more than half the time. This number may not exceed the player's Equitable Stroke Control limit, defined in Section 4-3. This most likely score should be preceded by an X, such as X6.

There is no limit to the number of unfinished holes a player may have in a round provided that failure to finish is not for the purpose of Handicap Factor manipulation.

Example 1: A and B are partners in a four-ball stroke play competition. On a hole on which neither player receives a handicap stroke, A lies two, 18 feet from the hole. B lies two, 25 feet from the hole. B holes a putt for a three. A picks up their ball because they cannot better B's score. A records X4 on the score card because 4 is their most likely score.

Example 2: A and B are playing a match. On a hole on which neither player receives a handicap stroke, A has holed out in 4; B has a 30 foot putt for a 5. B has lost the hole, and picks up. He records X6 on the score card because 6 is their most likely score.

Example 3: A and B are playing a match. On a hole on which neither player received a handicap stroke, A is one foot from the hole, lying 4. B is 10 feet from the hole, lying 3. B putts and misses. They agree to a half. Both players record 5 because that is the score they most likely would have made.

More info is here: http://www.rcga.org/english/Handicapping/manual4.asp

It could be that the purpose of your life is only to serve as a warning to others.
    Colby

Bogie Marmotte is on a distinguished road Marmotte's Avatar
    Thanks.
    It still hinges on the use of the E.S.C. to define the "maximum".
    [COLOR=Sienna][SIZE=2][FONT=Palatino Linotype]If you bury my ashes on a golf course, just make sure that they are out of bounds, that will be a natural continuation to my life[/FONT][/SIZE][/COLOR]

Way Beyond Help Colby is on a distinguished road Colby's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by 3295
    Thanks.
    It still hinges on the use of the E.S.C. to define the "maximum".
    The maximum score for the hole, but not the winner of that hole.
    It could be that the purpose of your life is only to serve as a warning to others.
    Colby

Thread Information