100 Holes of Hope
+ Reply to Thread
    Lob Wedge j-dog is on a distinguished road

Roughly how many balls do you lose/use per round???

I've been reading some posts on this site, and many of the users have mentioned that "after 25 holes, the cover of the ball starts to get scuffed and I have to replace it".

Is it common for somebody to finish a round of golf with the same ball they started with??

I've been playing for roughly 2 years now, and I lose about 8 balls per round of golf. I cannot even imagine being good enough to play all 18 holes with only 1 or 2 balls.

Major Poster EDSGOLF is on a distinguished road
    Quote Originally Posted by j-dog
    I've been reading some posts on this site, and many of the users have mentioned that "after 25 holes, the cover of the ball starts to get scuffed and I have to replace it".

Is it common for somebody to finish a round of golf with the same ball they started with??

I've been playing for roughly 2 years now, and I lose about 8 balls per round of golf. I cannot even imagine being good enough to play all 18 holes with only 1 or 2 balls.

I guess my average would be 1 ball/round, but it happens often where the same ball will last me 2 or 3 rounds, I had 1 ball one year with a Caisse Populaire logo on it, I think it lasted me 10 rounds !!!
    http://www.EatDrinkSleepGolf.com
    Myrtle Beach Golf

Hall of Fame jvincent is on a distinguished road jvincent's Avatar
    Depends on the kind of day/course.

If you're having a bad day at Stonebridge, count on losing at least 6. The same bad day, ball striking wise, at Loch March might only mean 1 or 2.

Lost 2 today, both of them in the cabbage, one on a ball that went too far and ran through the fairway. :mad

Founder Kilroy is on a distinguished road Kilroy's Avatar
    I average 1 or 2 lost or water balls. If I lose 4 it is a really bad day. If I play a ball for 18 holes I am smiling.

I like to have at least 6 balls in the bag, more if going to The Dome (Haute Paines now) I usually put in a dozen, and add a sleve or two when I get down to 6.

Must be Single dbleber is on a distinguished road dbleber's Avatar

dbleber:
    1-2 balls per round. Unless its a bad day, but I find if I talk to my ball and yell at it a bit it will eventually do as its told!
    Denny

Need a Caddy rockford35 is on a distinguished road rockford35's Avatar
    I lost one all of last year.

I've lost three already this year. Yet my scoring has stayed relatively the same.

Go figure.

rockford35

Hopelessly Addicted broken27 is on a distinguished road broken27's Avatar
    Have lost as many as 12 in a round, usually because of "Tin Cup" defining moment shots. This year, I find I generally come out ahead in the number of balls in my bag. Average round for me means about 2 lost balls, but if there's any question as to pace of play, I'll lose up to 4-6. I don't believe in spending really long periods of time looking for a ball that obviously doesn't fly true and goes in the bushes....

Dan
    [URL=http://www.sportsfiend.ca/]Sportsfiend.ca - Make You Opinion Into News...

Major Poster EDSGOLF is on a distinguished road
    Quote Originally Posted by rockford35

I've lost three already this year. Yet my scoring has stayed relatively the same.

Go figure.

rockford35

1 ball for the entire year? Kind of hard losing balls on a mini-putt course
    http://www.EatDrinkSleepGolf.com
    Myrtle Beach Golf

Hall of Fame NoBack is on a distinguished road NoBack's Avatar
    Used to be about 1 ball every 2 or three rounds. Saturday was 5 on 2 holes.
    I've spent most of my life golfing .... the rest I've just wasted"
    www.nationalcapitalgolftour.com

Way Beyond Help Colby is on a distinguished road Colby's Avatar
    I usually go through 1-2 a round. Either they get lost, mucked up by the cart path, or my forged irons and wedges chew them up, especially out of the sand.
    It could be that the purpose of your life is only to serve as a warning to others.
    Colby

Quote Originally Posted by EDSGOLF
    1 ball for the entire year? Kind of hard losing balls on a mini-putt course
    I tend to shank the putter.....it comes and goes.

Two in the bush this weekend, it was like getting sacked by Mike Tyson, without the biting. It's been a while since i've lost two in a round.

It also helped that both were Nike TA2LNG's. Those balls suck, they're obviously not good if I hit them in the trees. Right?

rockford35

I tend to shank the putter.....it comes and goes.

Two in the bush this weekend, it was like getting sacked by Mike Tyson, without the biting. It's been a while since i've lost two in a round.

It also helped that both were Nike TA2LNG's. Those balls suck, they're obviously not good if I hit them in the trees. Right?

rockford35
    Isn't there a saying that balls from the same sleeve like to follow each other to the same demise?!?
    It could be that the purpose of your life is only to serve as a warning to others.
    Colby

Go figure.

rockford35
    Was that at Deer Valley??
    I played Emerald Park this past Friday and lost 9 friggin balls!!!

Was that at Deer Valley??
    I played Emerald Park this past Friday and lost 9 friggin balls!!!
    Nope. Played White Bear Thursday, Friday and Saturday. Had to use the backup set of irons, as I had sold my playing set before my new ones had arrived. Talk about backwards thinking!

9 balls, that's a feat. I think the driving range is calling your name!

Nice weather this weekend too. Hit 30 out in Moose Mountain on Saturday.

Emerald Park? Where you from?

rockford35

Go figure.

rockford35
    I just noticed that you are in Saskatchewan. Pretty tough to lose a ball in the middle of a field!
    Colby

3 Wood mkemila is on a distinguished road mkemila's Avatar
    I found it!!........just provide a reasonable description of the lost ball and I will FedEx it to you

Go figure.

rockford35

Nope. Played White Bear Thursday, Friday and Saturday. Had to use the backup set of irons, as I had sold my playing set before my new ones had arrived. Talk about backwards thinking!

9 balls, that's a feat. I think the driving range is calling your name!

Nice weather this weekend too. Hit 30 out in Moose Mountain on Saturday.

Emerald Park? Where you from?

rockford35
    I'm in Regina.....just moved here from Calgary.

3 Wood LongHitta is on a distinguished road LongHitta's Avatar
    On average, I lose about 1-2 balls/round, which is good enough for me, thats like $6-$10, gets expensive after a while. Atleast when i lose them, its a huge 300 yard slice into the forest!.....enjoy the LADDIE you squirrel $##@$%$@#
    :reallymad

Quote Originally Posted by mkemila
    I found it!!........just provide a reasonable description of the lost ball and I will FedEx it to you
    It's white, may have burn marks on it from my driver slashing it into the trees. Failing that, it may have some pieces of poplar or perhaps birch stuck into it.

Please provide a pic, that way i'll know forsure.

As for Saskatchewan, come on down and play some of the hidden treasures we have. You'd be more than suprised what this province has to offer in terms of beautiful, challenging courses.

You can stay at my place. I make a mean breakfast.

rockford35

Forum Jedi Weazl is on a distinguished road Weazl's Avatar
    I usually lose 2-3 a round, sometimes in the fairway ( or so I think ) . Oh well if I lose the ball it's because it sliced, I didn't slice, the ball did!
    Lots of yoga pants these days, not enough Yoga!

Getting Exemptions The Shtick is on a distinguished road The Shtick's Avatar
    I don't lose golf balls..... I just tend to misplace them unwillingly....

Big_duck
    Quote Originally Posted by The Shtick
    I don't lose golf balls..... I just tend to misplace them unwillingly....
    There shall be *no such thing* as a lost ball. The missing ball is somewhere nearby and will eventually be found by someone. It thus becomes a *stolen* ball and the player should not compound a felony by charging himself with a penalty stroke.
    http://www.golfresource.net/jokes/tenrules.htm (link from Ottawagolf joke page).

3 Wood mkemila is on a distinguished road mkemila's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Big_duck
    http://www.golfresource.net/jokes/tenrules.htm (link from Ottawagolf joke page).

I look it as more like a golf ball adoption agency.....obviously the ball was not happy with its previous owner......and just remember the happy face people make when they adopt (find) one of these orphan balls

Must be Single 1972Apex is on a distinguished road 1972Apex's Avatar
    Over the years I have found that in most cases the ball replaces itself long before it gets tattered enough for me to change it...
    When a ball does stick around long enough to get beat up, I am reluctant to take it out of play because I almost start to think of it as a "lucky ball". Eventually it's disappearance into the woods or a hazard will solve the problem for me.

Bogie Marmotte is on a distinguished road Marmotte's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Proforged
    Over the years I have found that in most cases the ball replaces itself long before it gets tattered enough for me to change it...
    When a ball does stick around long enough to get beat up, I am reluctant to take it out of play because I almost start to think of it as a "lucky ball". Eventually it's disappearance into the woods or a hazard will solve the problem for me.
    You whack at the poor little thing with a stick all day long and you are suprized that it runs away from home. First thing you know, you will put its photo on the side of a milk carton... MISSING !!! ProV next to the Nike ONE.
    Sad, sad, sad....
    [COLOR=Sienna][SIZE=2][FONT=Palatino Linotype]If you bury my ashes on a golf course, just make sure that they are out of bounds, that will be a natural continuation to my life[/FONT][/SIZE][/COLOR]

Eagle Deep Woods is on a distinguished road

I lose quite a few per round, due to 2 things: one, I have hack/slash days where nothing goes right, and two, when I lose one, unless its easily findable, I don't really care to find it...I spend an average of 2.3 seconds looking for balls.

But i imagine the single digit handicappers rarely lose a ball ...another unfair benefit of being good.

Birdie mr shank is on a distinguished road

To answer your question - no, it isn't common to finish the round with the same ball you begin with. Depending on your ability - if you are a low handicap, you may not lose many balls but may be replacing a ball because it is unplayable.
    The rest of us just lose them.

If someone posts a thread saying they have had to replace the ball after 25 holes IMO this is just blowing your own horn. We can all read between the lines, and what is really being said is "man, I'm soooooooo damn good that I have to replace my balls because I just can't seem to lose them."

Most scratch or pro golfers won't play the same ball for more than 18 holes anyway.

guyinottawa

all depends

it all depends on what course and how well I am playing. SOme days I will not lose any and others I will lose 10!

Gotta love the game of golf!

8 Iron Pops is on a distinguished road Pops's Avatar
    With all the discussions about how many are lost / worn out in a round I have come up with an innovative idea, I don't buy golf balls I just rent them for a while.
    "The golf swing is like sex. You can't be thinking about the mechanics of the act while you are performing." Dave Hill

Thread Information