CorporateGolfXtra 2024
+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
    Forum Idiot Indio is on a distinguished road Indio's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by GolfMomma View Post
    I gotta go with BillD on this one. I think Boo is an absolute idiot. I can't stand to watch that man - to the point that I don't even watch his golf. I think he made a complete A** of himself yesterday. I'm shocked that so many of the US players played up to it. Funny you didn't see the likes of Mickelson, Furyk or Stricker playing up to his antics - i think that's because those three have too much class - I can imagine how embarrassed they must have been.
    I guess I better not tee it up with GolfMomma anytime soon
    Proud member of the 2009 OG/TGN Ryder Cup Champions

Forum Idiot Indio is on a distinguished road Indio's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by sillywilly View Post
    didn't realize you had to be smart to play this sport. Someone should tell indio
    I already know you don't have to be smart..... you took up the game didn't you?
    Proud member of the 2009 OG/TGN Ryder Cup Champions

Hybrid DaleLeo is on a distinguished road DaleLeo's Avatar

Ryder Cup

Any Tiger fans, and there are lots, know why he wasn't there to cheer on the US team?

6 Iron McG is on a distinguished road
    Quote Originally Posted by GolfMomma View Post
    I gotta go with BillD on this one. I think Boo is an absolute idiot. I can't stand to watch that man - to the point that I don't even watch his golf. I think he made a complete A** of himself yesterday. I'm shocked that so many of the US players played up to it. Funny you didn't see the likes of Mickelson, Furyk or Stricker playing up to his antics - i think that's because those three have too much class - I can imagine how embarrassed they must have been.
    Boo was being Boo. He's a natural clown and he loves to make people laugh. I don't see how that makes him an idiot or an ass. The Kentucky crowd loved him and the reactions online were pretty much the same.

Competitor Hank Hill is on a distinguished road Hank Hill's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by DaleLeo View Post
    Any Tiger fans, and there are lots, know why he wasn't there to cheer on the US team?
    I guess he didn't want to create a sideshow.

Also, why would he go anyway? He is probably enjoying time with his family.

9 Iron N.V.M. is on a distinguished road
    there will be an asterisk attached to the victory as Tiger was not in the field.

Sand Wedge GolfMomma is on a distinguished road GolfMomma's Avatar
    I admit - I'm a traditionalist when it comes to golf - golf is the ultimate gentleman's game (even though us ladies play it . . .) and riding your golf club like a horse is, in my opinion, pretty idiotic.

There is absolutely a time and place to horse around (no pun intended) but on the first hole IS NOT the place.

Can anybody see anyone like Arnie, Jack, Seve, Greg (I could go on and on) acting like that . . . even, dare i say it John Daly - i think NOT!!!!

Forum Jedi Weazl is on a distinguished road Weazl's Avatar
    That's because with the exception of John the rest of them were all business on the course and boring.
    Lots of yoga pants these days, not enough Yoga!

Golf Canada Rules Official L4 LobWedge is on a distinguished road LobWedge's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by N.V.M. View Post
    there will be an asterisk attached to the victory as Tiger was not in the field.
    Good one!
    When applying the Rules, you follow them line by line. You don't read between them.

Golf Guru justsomeguy is on a distinguished road
    Quote Originally Posted by Weazl View Post
    That's because with the exception of John the rest of them were all business on the course and boring.
    Watching exceptionally-talented golfers play some amazing golf is NOT boring!

I don't mind people having a bit of fun, but if I want to see a comedy act I'll go to Yuk-Yuk's.

Hall of Fame Hacker is on a distinguished road Hacker's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by N.V.M. View Post
    ALL events this year after the US Open will have an asterisk..........................

Out of Bounds rancherJ is on a distinguished road rancherJ's Avatar
    I can see this being a calculated ploy by Azinger. The US team has been criticized in the past for being too tightly wound and serious. Weekley's job was to keep the guys loose, and he did it in spades.
    In retrospect the "ploy" worked perfectly. I would imagine Azinger undoubtedly was aware of what was going to happen and endorsed it!
    Anyone taking shots at the captain on this issue?

7 Wood speeler_kda is on a distinguished road
    A few thoughts:

- I was glad to see short rough and easy hole locations to encourage lots of birdies.

- IMO, Boo went overboard with the whole raise the roof thing and other antics... he'll face the wrath of the European fans if he makes the 2010 team. Then again, Westwood calling him out in the media was whiney. Why can't these guys learn from Jack and Arnie?

- I agree with golf writer John Hawkins. Boo's country bumpkin routine is turning into an act...

- Maybe Sergio is finally growing up. Since the 2007 British Open suck-fest, he has showed class after losing the PGA and now after going winless at the Ryder Cup

- I didn't know much about him before but Graeme McDowell has a ton of guts. His play in the Saturday four-ball match was outstanding. Hopefully it's not a one-time deal.

- Monty hasn't done anything in two years. IMO He didn't belong on the team.

- IMO, Faldo's massive ego hurt his captaincy big-time:

1. Darren Clarke represented a threat to Faldo's leadership. That's why he was left off the team. Big mistake.
    2. With all due respect the JM Olazabal, Bernhard Lager was right... He needed more than one vice-captain. I think Ray Floyd et. all made a big difference for the U.S. side...
    3. You bring your kid inside the ropes at the Masters Par-3, not the Ryder Cup. The site of him riding around with his son during crucial matches must have been irritating to the European team.
    4. What trailing captain doesn't front-load in singles? He goofed there too.

Hall of Fame Hacker is on a distinguished road Hacker's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by speeler_kda View Post
    A few thoughts:

- Maybe Sergio is finally growing up. Since the 2007 British Open suck-fest, he has showed class after losing the PGA and now after going winless at the Ryder Cup

- I didn't know much about him before but Graeme McDowell has a ton of guts. His play in the Saturday four-ball match was outstanding. Hopefully it's not a one-time deal.

- Monty hasn't done anything in two years. IMO He didn't belong on the team.

- IMO, Faldo's massive ego hurt his captaincy big-time:

1. Darren Clarke represented a threat to Faldo's leadership. That's why he was left off the team. Big mistake.
    2. With all due respect the JM Olazabal, Bernhard Lager was right... He needed more than one vice-captain. I think Ray Floyd et. all made a big difference for the U.S. side...
    3. You bring your kid inside the ropes at the Masters Par-3, not the Ryder Cup. The site of him riding around with his son during crucial matches must have been irritating to the European team.
    The Boo stuff aside (I'm still not fully decided on that) I have to say that you've made some very astute observations and I agree with them all

Hall of Fame sillywilly is on a distinguished road sillywilly's Avatar
    tiger wasnt playing so i didnt watch it. i knew the US would win without him. he is to much of a side show and distraction... the reason his FC doesnt do well on sundays. asterix??? you bet there is. had he been playing the euro team would have won
    willy
    email change to [EMAIL="depe.juneja@gmail.com"]depe.juneja@gmail.com[/EMAIL]

Hopelessly Addicted Shivas Irons is on a distinguished road Shivas Irons's Avatar
    - IMO, Boo went overboard with the whole raise the roof thing and other antics...
    he'll face the wrath of the European fans if he makes the 2010 team. Then again, Westwood calling him out in the media was whiney.
    Good call on both counts.
    In Boo's defense he did tone it down a little after that, up until the now infamous 'horsey-driver' . I was one of the many who cringed. That just looked plain stupid and reminded me of Tie Domi riding his stick. Good job perpetuatng the southern American stereotype Boo.

Boo's country bumpkin routine is turning into an act.
    Is turning into an act? This has been his act from the moment he fell off the turnip truck. He plays up the hillbilly-redeneck-country-bumkin-just-married-my-cousin act beautifully.

Agreed.
    Great post speeder, and just to add to that; JB Homes surprised me, I didn't think that swing of his would stand up to Ryder Cup pressure, but it did.
    Anthony Kim & Robert Karlson were both great to watch.
    For my money this was the most enjoyable Ryder Cup since Brookline.
    Al Gore didn't invent the internet, but he did invent global warming.

Championship Cup sensfan63 is on a distinguished road
    This is like a political debate where all they do is hit the talking points...

Front-load? Garcia is supposed to be the all-World Ryder Cupper, so him going out first was a good call. Then Casey...ok, an iffy pick, but he got a half-point.. And then Karlsson drummed Leonard and Rose played awesome and beat Mickelson. So in the first four matches Europe was 2-1-1, and gained a full point. What the hell else do you want?

Faldo is getting a HUGELY raw deal out of this...everything the media and those critical of him pick on are invalid arguments. Poulter took four points, Casey had a winning record, and Europe won the session when Faldo benched Garcia and Westwood.

When the leaders and stars of your team fail to win ONE match outright, it ain't the captain's fault.

GolfPig of the Year 2006 Golfbum is on a distinguished road
    If you have watched the last 5 Ryder Cups you know why Europe did not win this one.

PUTTING. In the past the Euro's have made putts from every where. That did not happen this time around. However the US Team made a lot of putts. For instance Hunter's putt on the 17th hole on Sunday.

In the past wins by Europe those putts did not fall for the US Team. Those putts fell for the Euro's.

It all comes down to what happens on the greens when you have the talent that both teams had.

As for Boo, when he rode the driver off the first tee I thought it was a bit over the top. However you have to give the guy credit, 6 birdie and an eagle in 16 holes is pretty impressive IMO.

The English press would have had a ball tearing Faldo apart. However Faldo did not hit a shot, his team failed to come through. Garcia, Westwood and Harrington were the downfall of the team.

As for Faldo's son riding around with him in the cart. I see no problem with that. Considering the fact Nick will not likely Captain another Ryder Cup Team. He brought his son along and how would that be distracting to the European Team?

Let's face it, if the US had lost again the Ryder Cup might have lost some of its edge. Now the event will have some hype when it goes back to Europe in 2010.

Putter dongodfrey is on a distinguished road
    Hi everyone,
    enjoyed the ryder cup as much as most of you even though i am a brit!
    It was simple really america have found out the secret to ryder cup thats been missing for years, its about the team not the individual, the last two ryder cups tiger and phil would not even practice near each other! europe had won before they hit the first tee shot.
    This time was different and you could see it from game one, it was thoroughly deserved, great performance by the us team and most golf fans here all agree.
    Clarke should of been on our team and monty should of been involveld somwhere its what he is best at, sergio is a bottler pure and simple, he goes everytime the tap is turned on, as for paddy harrington he has had a long season and his major cabinet now looks healthy a bit more than sergios!
    I do not really agree with the importance on captains i think its a bit overstated, wish faldo would take the damn glasses off when he is interviewed.
    I am going to defend westwood a little because its come out over here that on the 12th tee it got very nasty and reference to his mother (which he will not repeat) on more than one occasion over the next couple of holes is out of order, getting loud and cheering is fair enough it will happen over here too but we should remember its golf and the players should be allowed to play it without abuse personall or otherwise and hope it does get out off hand when its held over here, i think we all agree we do not want ot see idots ruin this great sporting occasion.

Forum Jedi golfisforfun is on a distinguished road
    It isn't about the "vice-Captains" or "having your son ride around in the cart" or any of that other crap that everyone is talking about.

The Amercians putted better.

If you were playing, would you care, or golf better or worse if the captain had his son in his cart? I would hope the answer is NO.

The golfer is there to golf. The Americans made more putts and won because of it.

We all look for external excuses when it is really only up to the golfers.

BillD
    The captain has no bearing on the outcome. Faldo seems like a really cool guy and he seems to be a nice guy as well. I don't know why people get on him. Maybe there's something I dont know about him. I feel the same way about Phil Mickelson although he seems to be universally disliked as well. Boo Weekley is someone I would like to see fade away and Lee Westwood is a crybaby. Always has been.

Thread Information