100 Holes of Hope
+ Reply to Thread
    Golf Canada Rules Official L4 BC MIST is on a distinguished road

Having Two Balls in Play

At the Spring Open qualifier today my ball ended up on a huge ant hill adjacent to the 13th tee. One of my fellow competitors was unsure if I got relief, so I chose to play two balls, one taking relief and the other, playing the original ball.

I hit the ball with which I took relief on to the green and then hit the original onto the green which ironically hit the other ball and displaced it. Returned the displaced ball to its original spot and then two putted both balls for 5's.

Now, when I next saw the rules official, I reported the above situation to him. Had I not done this, even though I scored 5 with both balls, I would/could have been disqualified. I gather that the new rule this year has the Committee, in this case the rules official in charge, making the final decision when two balls are in play, and not the players.

RulesNut Gary Hill is on a distinguished road Gary Hill's Avatar
    The 2004 change to Rule 3-3 (Doubt as to Procedure) stipulates that in ALL cases the player MUST report the facts to the Committee.

Previously, the competitor was not required to report the facts to the Committe if he scored the same with both balls.

It has never been the case that the players make a ruling or final decision.

Major Poster EDSGOLF is on a distinguished road
    Quote Originally Posted by BC MIST
    At the Spring Open qualifier today my ball ended up on a huge ant hill adjacent to the 13th tee. One of my fellow competitors was unsure if I got relief, so I chose to play two balls, one taking relief and the other, playing the original ball.

I hit the ball with which I took relief on to the green and then hit the original onto the green which ironically hit the other ball and displaced it. Returned the displaced ball to its original spot and then two putted both balls for 5's.

Now, when I next saw the rules official, I reported the above situation to him. Had I not done this, even though I scored 5 with both balls, I would/could have been disqualified. I gather that the new rule this year has the Committee, in this case the rules official in charge, making the final decision when two balls are in play, and not the players.

So you basically had to play your first ball? That makes sense, cause if a free drop was allowed, how big of an ant hill would it half to be to get a free drop? I like this Rules section, you learn a lot
    http://www.EatDrinkSleepGolf.com
    Myrtle Beach Golf

Fairway Junkie dasnutz is on a distinguished road dasnutz's Avatar
    BC MIST please check PM.

Das

Quote Originally Posted by EDSGOLF
    So you basically had to play your first ball? That makes sense, cause if a free drop was allowed, how big of an ant hill would it half to be to get a free drop? I like this Rules section, you learn a lot
    Last edited by dasnutz; 05-18-2004 at 10:02 AM.

Founder Kilroy is on a distinguished road Kilroy's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by dasnutz
    A little off topic, but how did you do at the Spring Qualifier?

Das
    Please stay on topic. Use PM or start another thread.

Sometimes threads evolve to a new topic, but this is not the case here.

Quote Originally Posted by EDSGOLF
    The ant hill in question was approximately 24" by 18", as large as any I have seen, except in Florida. There were dozens of ants scurrying about into and on the huge amount of "castings." Actually the lie was OK, but according to the rules, I was permitted a drop out of this condition and as the area near the ant hill where relief could be taken, would have given me a better lie, I chose to ask for relief.

One fellow competitor understood that relief could be taken, while the other was unsure. Because of the latter I chose to play the two balls and then check with the rules official. I could have just taken relief and then let my fellow competitor "call" me and get a ruling, however, to avoid any hassle, I just played the two balls, which was the apporpriate thing to do as there was some doubt as to the proper procedure in the mind of one of my fellow competitors. I did not, however, have to play the first ball.
    Last edited by BC MIST; 05-18-2004 at 04:32 PM.

RulesNut Gary Hill is on a distinguished road Gary Hill's Avatar
    That is not entirely correct.

The first ball is the ball in play and you cannot substitute another ball unless under a Rule.

If you substitute another ball and the ruling is not in your favor, you will be penalized.

If you invoke Rule 3-3 and play both balls, you cannot be penalized for playing both balls no mattter which ball eventually becomes the ball with which you will score.

Therefore, whether you invoke Rule 3-3 or not, you must play the first ball to avoid any chance of penalty.

Quote Originally Posted by Gary Hill
    That is not entirely correct.

The first ball is the ball in play and you cannot substitute another ball unless under a Rule.

If you substitute another ball and the ruling is not in your favor, you will be penalized.

If you invoke Rule 3-3 and play both balls, you cannot be penalized for playing both balls no mattter which ball eventually becomes the ball with which you will score.

Therefore, whether you invoke Rule 3-3 or not, you must play the first ball to avoid any chance of penalty.
    Got it. Thanks

Must be Single mberube is on a distinguished road mberube's Avatar
    That must the 13Th at Hautes Plaines (Dome)? If so, can you explain to me exactly where it is. I would like to see the situation first hand.

Thanks
    Strive for perfection, but never expect it!

Quote Originally Posted by mberube
    That must the 13Th at Hautes Plaines (Dome)? If so, can you explain to me exactly where it is. I would like to see the situation first hand.

Thanks
    I was playing the 12th and hit the ball to the right of the green. I cannot recall if there is a cart path to the right, but if you go to a point where you are just past pin high on the 12th, and walk to the right, just before you get to the small trees, you will see the ant hill. It is on a slope. It is not beside the 13th tee, but well behind it and to its left. You will see the grey castings and probably a whole bunch of ants.

Don't believe me??

Don't believe me??
    I do! I just like to see the situation you got yourself in too. There are a couple of rule nuts at the course and will check it out.

Thanks.

By the way how did you play in the tournament?

Hopelessly Addicted broken27 is on a distinguished road broken27's Avatar
    I know exactly where BC MIST is talking about. A couple years ago, I dropped a beer (I know, please forgive me) in that exact spot by turning my cart too fast. That's a tight little zone. I saw tons of the little buggers, but they were still only in a bunch of smaller ant hills at the time. Little bashtards got organized! Be careful people!

Dan
    [URL=http://www.sportsfiend.ca/]Sportsfiend.ca - Make You Opinion Into News...

Quote Originally Posted by mberube
    I do! I just like to see the situation you got yourself in too. There are a couple of rule nuts at the course and will check it out.
    Thanks.
    By the way how did you play in the tournament?
    The top 5 qualified for the Quebec Spring Open at Beaconsfield. Unfortunately, I tied for 6th with a score of 72. Bogeyed the last hole, however, the score assured me a spot again this year in the Alexander of Tunis tournament at the Hunt Club in early July, and that was my goal.

I really enjoyed playing this course, mostly because of its natural beauty, but also because it emphasized shot making skill, ie., both ball flight and distance control. A couple of tee shots, #2 and #16, got my heart rate up a little, and I don't mean from walking up the hills. Great golf course.

Hopelessly Addicted broken27 is on a distinguished road broken27's Avatar
    The top 5 qualified for the Spring Open. Unfortunately, I tied for 6th with a score of 72. Bogeyed the last hole, however, the score assured me a spot in the Alexander of Tunis tournament at the Hunt Club in early July, and that was my goal.
    Congrats on meeting your goal. Sorry you didn't exceed it. Life moves on.

Wish I could "boast of the same disappointments" as you...

dan
    [URL=http://www.sportsfiend.ca/]Sportsfiend.ca - Make You Opinion Into News...

The top 5 qualified for the Quebec Spring Open at Beaconsfield. Unfortunately, I tied for 6th with a score of 72. Bogeyed the last hole, however, the score assured me a spot again this year in the Alexander of Tunis tournament at the Hunt Club in early July, and that was my goal.

I really enjoyed playing this course, mostly because of its natural beauty, but also because it emphasized shot making skill, ie., both ball flight and distance control. A couple of tee shots, #2 and #16, got my heart rate up a little, and I don't mean from walking up the hills. Great golf course.
    72 is very very good considering where the pins were. Good Job!

Where is your home course?

Quote Originally Posted by broken27
    Congrats on meeting your goal. Sorry you didn't exceed it. Life moves on.

Wish I could "boast of the same disappointments" as you...

dan
    Posting at 2:30am!!!!! You guys don’t sleep???

Thread Information