100 Holes of Hope
+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Greece trip

Hall of Fame jonf is on a distinguished road jonf's Avatar

Greece trip

Okay, so I have a question for any world travellers out there. I'm planning on doing a tour of Europe at the end of the summer and most of the fall. One place that I really want to see is Greece. I plan on spending a few weeks exploring it. My initial plan was to go to Greece during August, and then do the rest of europe during the fall. I thought it would be smart to take advantage of the summer weather. However, someone suggested that Greece in August might actually a bit too hot for it to be pleasant. So, for all of you out there who might have experience, what would you recommend. Would it be best to take in Greece during the summer, or wait until the fall? (keeping in mind of course that I will be going to Germany for Oktoberfest.)

Singles Match Play Champ 2012 Wilster is on a distinguished road Wilster's Avatar
    I toured Greece (island hopping) back in summer 2000 and had a blast .
    Is it warm ? yes it is ,but its a dry heat , and very bearable .
    The best experience is to do the Isalnd hopping , setting off from athens , there are literally hundreds of islands to explore , with some awesome historical ruins and sites.

Islands that you must see are , Santorini , Ios , Kos , Crete (if you can fit it in).

The accomodation is cheap and reasonable , the ferrys are again cheap and you can get to almost any island you wish . You will be met by a hoard of apartment owners at the ferry dock , one bit of advice i can give you is get apartments with either a/c or a pool, and make sure you know how far it is away from a beach.

One of the "rough Guide" books is a great source of information for doing this type of travel.
    The only thing about travelling in early August is that it is peak tourist season , so quite busy everywhere .Ideally the last 2 weeks would be the best time for travelling , but come September the resorts and islands are noticably less busy, and winding down from the summer season.
    one things for sure ...YOU WILL LOVE IT !
    At the end of the day ... It gets dark

7 Iron golfchick07 is on a distinguished road
    Hey
    I was in Europe this past August. My daughters and I went the first 2 weeks of August. It was blasting hot... 40deg every day, but you know, it did not slow us down, sunny dry heat with no humidity.

We did many locations in Italy, Turkey and 4 stops in Greece. FRIGGEN FANTASTIC!!

Athens, Rhodes, Mykonos, Santorini

Athens for the culture, history, architecture, Acropolis (take the tour) and shopping and eating at the cafes in Plaka... spectacular!!!

Rhodes truly stunning, totally fortified city of stone, cobble streets, stone walls, quaint shops and restaurants.

Mykonos, looks like Mars or the tundra, no vegetation, spectacular beaches, many nude, some gay, just about anything goes. Take a scooter or rent motorcycle to see the island

Santorini.... My absolute favorite. Could have spent a week there easy. Climb the active volcanos, swim through the ocean to hot springs, ride the mules up the mountain to the village.... Big island did not see as much as I wanted, ate and drank lots, amazing cuisine and wicked pastry!!

It was a trip I had wanted to take all my life and it was better than I could have ever imagined.

Have Fun!!!

Thread Information