100 Holes of Hope
+ Reply to Thread
    Uber Poster little brit is on a distinguished road little brit's Avatar

To be a snowbird :)

Ok, so this start to our Canadian winter has me thinking, fly away. If golf and beach is involved then I say roll on winter.

So having never done it before, except for reg. week holidays. Does anyone have any suggestions of sites etc. that is very good for this? I was thinking Carribean particularly, hubby isn't fond of the Florida idea but I might be able to persuade him. Husband works using internet so he can travel anywhere to work.

Looking for a condo, or something inexpensive for a month to 6 weeks self catering. Must have excellent hi speed internet. So I can check in on you guys and I guess so husband can work.
    Last edited by little brit; 12-04-2007 at 03:29 PM. Reason: More info

Postmaster General The Saint is on a distinguished road The Saint's Avatar
    Punta Cana... Punta Cana resort, golf at your door at La Cana, P.Dye course.

We've been going there for the last 4 years

http://www.puntacana.com/

Quote Originally Posted by little brit View Post
    Ok, so this start to our Canadian winter has me thinking, fly away. If golf and beach is involved then I say roll on winter.

So having never done it before, except for reg. week holidays. Does anyone have any suggestions of sites etc. that is very good for this? I was thinking Carribean particularly, hubby isn't fond of the Florida idea but I might be able to persuade him. Husband works using internet so he can travel anywhere to work.
    Some people are like Slinkies... they're really good for nothing, ... but they still bring a smile to your face when you push them down a flight of stairs...

GolfPig of the Year 2006 Golfbum is on a distinguished road
    Is golf included in your package Chris? I have been told that golf is not cheap down there. If included do you have to pay for a cart or caddie? I am interested to know as I am thinking of going to Punta Cana.
    My opinions are my own, I do not follow others.

Postmaster General The Saint is on a distinguished road The Saint's Avatar
    When you stay at the Punta Cana resort you get a discount. Caddies are not mandatory. However if you go the Jack Nicholas course you'll be paying over $200 a round. I think we were paying somewhere around $75 US per round which included cart and free range.
    But this is a real nice course, not wildly difficult.
    Some people are like Slinkies... they're really good for nothing, ... but they still bring a smile to your face when you push them down a flight of stairs...

Thanks Chris, this sounds really nice but a little pricey for the amount of time I want to go. I am looking for more like a condo, or something like that, self catering, to rent for a month to 6 weeks. that isn't too expensive. I have seen some things online like 1000US for a studio apt. in Barbados per month. (if I am reading it correctly) We would probably go up to 2000 for the month. No meals.

Forum Idiot Indio is on a distinguished road Indio's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by little brit View Post
    Thanks Chris, this sounds really nice but a little pricey for the amount of time I want to go. I am looking for more like a condo, or something like that, self catering, to rent for a month to 6 weeks. that isn't too expensive. I have seen some things online like 1000US for a studio apt. in Barbados per month. (if I am reading it correctly) We would probably go up to 2000 for the month. No meals.
    Contact one of the advertisers on this forum, they have some great deals they can setup for you.
    Proud member of the 2009 OG/TGN Ryder Cup Champions

Postmaster General big mac is on a distinguished road big mac's Avatar
    We went to Hilton Head the last two years----beachfront condo--its not huge but well appointed---1000.00 for the month. Golf is expensive on the island but if you sit in on a time-share presentation--you'll save big bucks---decent courses for 35-50.00 with cart. All condos gated--safe lots of restaurants/shopping. PM me if interested-I have some of last years brochures. Oh if your looking for swimming--water is a little cool in Feb and March but lots of heated pools. 2 day easy drive---2100 km from your door.
    Does the 2nd hole-n-one come easier ?

Quote Originally Posted by big mac View Post
    We went to Hilton Head the last two years----beachfront condo--its not huge but well appointed---1000.00 for the month. Golf is expensive on the island but if you sit in on a time-share presentation--you'll save big bucks---decent courses for 35-50.00 with cart. All condos gated--safe lots of restaurants/shopping. PM me if interested-I have some of last years brochures. Oh if your looking for swimming--water is a little cool in Feb and March but lots of heated pools. 2 day easy drive---2100 km from your door.
    Sounds good bigmac, If I can get hubby down there for some reason he has a bit of a negative response to Florida in general although he has never been there. I think Hilton Head may be different to the regular spots though. I will look it up. Golf is mainly just for me while he is working. he isn't nearly so into golf as me. I think we would likely fly.

Ok so it is Carolina
    Last edited by little brit; 12-04-2007 at 04:50 PM. Reason: idiocy

Quote Originally Posted by Indio View Post
    Contact one of the advertisers on this forum, they have some great deals they can setup for you.
    And they would be??? or do you want me to watch the top rotate while I am on?

Founder Kilroy is on a distinguished road Kilroy's Avatar
    He may be referring to EatDrinkSleepGolf. However they specialize in Myrtle Beach vacations.

ReservationMasters has a partnership with Can-Am who specialize in Discount golf for Canadian snowbirds in the Miami - Fort Lauderdale Florida area http://www.golf-florida.us
    Life dinnae come wit gimmies so yuv got nae chance o' gitt'n any from me.

Thanks Dan.

I am now looking a bit wider. Currently at Grenada at around $2000 for 3 weeks, anyone any more ideas? Doesn't have to be golf, (but I would like some availablilty)

1 Iron golfmajic is on a distinguished road
    This is my first year of being a snowbird and I am currently enjoying being in Florida.
    I am located in Ormond by the Sea just north of Daytona Beach. So far the weather has been outstanding although the winter chill will set in at anytime. One thing for sure there will be no snow. I have found lots of things to see and do in the area. Living here for the most part costs less than being in Canada.
    I have joined a very nice little golf course and enjoy the members, all friendly. In addition there are many other golf courses around including the two LPGA courses.
    I have rented a 2 bedroom, 2 bathroom condo at the beach front for the winter and it is working out real well. I have had high speed internet installed for the winter, a must for me.
    Depending on you planned dates I may know of a unit for rent in the building at a reasonable rate. It is currently up for rent so who knows when it may be gone.
    Message me if you would like more details.
    The picture is the December 5th sunrise over the Ocean.

Champion sharkhark is on a distinguished road sharkhark's Avatar
    Wow nice picture, paints a nice impression of the location you are in.
    "Chicks dig me, because I rarely wear underwear and when I do it's usually something unusual"

Quote Originally Posted by golfmajic View Post
    This is my first year of being a snowbird and I am currently enjoying being in Florida.
    I am located in Ormond by the Sea just north of Daytona Beach. So far the weather has been outstanding although the winter chill will set in at anytime. One thing for sure there will be no snow. I have found lots of things to see and do in the area. Living here for the most part costs less than being in Canada.
    I have joined a very nice little golf course and enjoy the members, all friendly. In addition there are many other golf courses around including the two LPGA courses.
    I have rented a 2 bedroom, 2 bathroom condo at the beach front for the winter and it is working out real well. I have had high speed internet installed for the winter, a must for me.
    Depending on you planned dates I may know of a unit for rent in the building at a reasonable rate. It is currently up for rent so who knows when it may be gone.
    Message me if you would like more details.
    The picture is the December 5th sunrise over the Ocean.
    Thanks golfmajic, that looks awesome. I will look into the area first and see what hubby thinks

Well thanks to all suggestions

But I have ended up booking Barbados for a month. Cost WAY more than initial budget but we should have a blast. I am a lucky girl. http://www.yellowbirdbarbados.com/

Thread Information