100 Holes of Hope
+ Reply to Thread
    Moderator Big Johnny69 is on a distinguished road Big Johnny69's Avatar
    Forever stuck between single digit and trunk slammer!

Poker Thoughts....

So I'm watching Poker After Dark on Sportsnet the other day, and to my dismay Phil Helmuth is playing. Now I don't know about you guys, but this guy gets on my nerves. I've never seen anyone who likes to listen to his own voice as much as this guy (ok, perhaps Vince McMahon of the WWE is the other one). Calling himself the greatest No Limit player of all time. C'mon. From what I hear, he's a great player against average opponents and an average player against great opponents. And the more I see him, the more I'd have to agree. Anyone else have thoughts on him?
    "A life lived in fear of the new and the untried is not a life lived to its fullest." M.Pare 10/09/08

Golf Canada Rules Official L4 gbower is on a distinguished road
    I played golf a few years ago in the Dominican Republic with a guy that lived in the same city as Phil is from and this guy also played a lot of poker with him and he was very much disliked. This guy said he always tried to intimidate everyone he played against by being a big mouth.

Quote Originally Posted by gbower View Post
    I played golf a few years ago in the Dominican Republic with a guy that lived in the same city as Phil is from and this guy also played a lot of poker with him and he was very much disliked. This guy said he always tried to intimidate everyone he played against by being a big mouth.

Sounds about right from what I've seen on tv.
    "A life lived in fear of the new and the untried is not a life lived to its fullest." M.Pare 10/09/08

Team Match Play Champ 2009 hoolio is on a distinguished road hoolio's Avatar
    Unfortunately the Poker After Dark is again a re-run this week, but yesterday's episode was nice, he raised with crap cards 6 times in a row (at least 3 from EP), and got re-raised 6 times in a row and had to lay down the cards. If the definition of "Best No-Limit Player in the World" is actual "Person who contributes alot of free chips to other players", then he's bang on with his description of himself.

I do hope he and Mike Matusow go on Safari in Africa someday only to have their guides leave them near a pack of hungry lions with blanks for bullets. It would make watching Poker on TV that much more enjoyable.
    Let's put a Smile on that Face!

Quote Originally Posted by hoolio View Post
    Unfortunately the Poker After Dark is again a re-run this week, but yesterday's episode was nice, he raised with crap cards 6 times in a row (at least 3 from EP), and got re-raised 6 times in a row and had to lay down the cards. If the definition of "Best No-Limit Player in the World" is actual "Person who contributes alot of free chips to other players", then he's bang on with his description of himself.

I do hope he and Mike Matusow go on Safari in Africa someday only to have their guides leave them near a pack of hungry lions with blanks for bullets. It would make watching Poker on TV that much more enjoyable.

The thing about Matusow is though, he is what he his. Yes he's loud, but he's not as bad as Phil. Where Phil is in general just very annoying, Matusow will at least contribute some humour to the table sometimes. I still wouldn't want to watch a lot of Matusow, but I can stand watching him more often/frequent than Helmuth.

Quote Originally Posted by Geoff Johnston View Post
    The thing about Matusow is though, he is what he his. Yes he's loud, but he's not as bad as Phil. Where Phil is in general just very annoying, Matusow will at least contribute some humour to the table sometimes. I still wouldn't want to watch a lot of Matusow, but I can stand watching him more often/frequent than Helmuth.
    If you can find a clip where Mike Matusow says something genuinely funny, something that would actually make someone laugh, fire it my way. I don't think such a clip exists. I'll agree that Phil is worse, and his Ultimate Bet commercial could drive even the nicest person into a murderous rage. "I put the hammer down, I ran full out and it didn't crash!"

If you can find a clip where Mike Matusow says something genuinely funny, something that would actually make someone laugh, fire it my way. I don't think such a clip exists. I'll agree that Phil is worse, and his Ultimate Bet commercial could drive even the nicest person into a murderous rage. "I put the hammer down, I ran full out and it didn't crash!"

It's more so how Matusow wears his emotions on his sleeve. His mood swings at the poker table can get quite comedic sometimes. Not so much what he says, but how he behaves.

Hall of Fame Hacker is on a distinguished road Hacker's Avatar
    I've read a book on Phil (he did NOT write it) and he is a living legend in the no limit cash money world - not the made for tv poker events, but the 'underground' ground world of poker where hundreds of thousands of cash money dollars can change hands on any given pot - this is where Phil really shines. It is a totally different game when it is you actual money that you are playing with.......

3 Wood 3putt is on a distinguished road 3putt's Avatar
    I agree that Hellmuth is annoying, but he is without a doubt one of the best NLH tournament players in the world. His hand-reading abilities are almost always bang-on (I can dodge bullets baby) and he does have 11 WSOP bracelets.

Matusow on the other hands is fun to watch because he's such an emotional wreck(remember the crying a couple of years ago at the WSOP) and a gambler.

Hall of Fame sillywilly is on a distinguished road sillywilly's Avatar
    willy
    email change to [EMAIL="depe.juneja@gmail.com"]depe.juneja@gmail.com[/EMAIL]

Major Poster EDSGOLF is on a distinguished road
    It's all marketing........just like Dennis Rodman.
    http://www.EatDrinkSleepGolf.com
    Myrtle Beach Golf

Hall of Fame jeffc is on a distinguished road jeffc's Avatar
    we were just talking about this on the weekend. Hellmuth is a blowhard who is pretty full of himself. it was funny watching him on the WSOP where he got beat by some amateurs. He was none too happy about it.
    I got a fever. And the only prescription is more golf equipment.

Quote Originally Posted by jeffc View Post
    we were just talking about this on the weekend. Hellmuth is a blowhard who is pretty full of himself. it was funny watching him on the WSOP where he got beat by some amateurs. He was none too happy about it.

Yet he always has a "reason"....cough, cough, er I mean excuse as to why he got beat.

The Pros hate playing Amateurs because they play hands that they should have folded pre-flop and end up getting lucky on the River.....who plays a deuce, nine non-suited?? Amateurs

Quote Originally Posted by Hacker View Post
    The Pros hate playing Amateurs because they play hands that they should have folded pre-flop and end up getting lucky on the River.....who plays a deuce, nine non-suited?? Amateurs

You mean you are supposed to fold 2/9 off suit??????

as an old football coach used to say: Excuses are like "a place where the sun don't shine". Everybody's got one and they all smell bad.

You mean you are supposed to fold 2/9 off suit??????
    I know - it surprized me to find that out too

I know they do. they probably also hate that every tom dick and harry now plays poker. I am sure 10-15 years ago, there were a few hundred people entering the WSOP. Now there are like 6500. the chances of these guys getting beat is pretty good considering how tough it is to win.

I know they do. they probably also hate that every tom dick and harry now plays poker. I am sure 10-15 years ago, there were a few hundred people entering the WSOP. Now there are like 6500. the chances of these guys getting beat is pretty good considering how tough it is to win.

I remember listening to some pros talk and the thing that bothers them alot is the pocket cam. They feel like it takes away their ability to make some of their moves.

in what way geoff?

in what way geoff?

If a player has a certain tendancy when he has a certain hand. Or if someone likes to bluff alot it takes that play away from them. People watching at home might find he bets XXX amount when he always has XX cards. Or how they might play big or small pocket pairs or other good starting hands. They didn't get too much into specifics, but they felt like the pocket cam makes them change their strategy much more now. I guess they feel it can take the set up away from them. Opponenst are more likely to believe the pro might be making a "play" then having legitmate cards.

If a player has a certain tendancy when he has a certain hand. Or if someone likes to bluff alot it takes that play away from them. People watching at home might find he bets XXX amount when he always has XX cards. Or how they might play big or small pocket pairs or other good starting hands. They didn't get too much into specifics, but they felt like the pocket cam makes them change their strategy much more now. I guess they feel it can take the set up away from them. Opponenst are more likely to believe the pro might be making a "play" then having legitmate cards.
    They can whine about it all they like, but the fact is that the big name players are making a lot of money off it with the huge pots in tournaments, as well as sponsorships. They're pros and like any other game/sport they should be able to identify their weaknesses and change tactics and "Change Gears" often so that they don't get stereotyped as a certain type of player.

They can whine about it all they like, but the fact is that the big name players are making a lot of money off it with the huge pots in tournaments, as well as sponsorships. They're pros and like any other game/sport they should be able to identify their weaknesses and change tactics and "Change Gears" often so that they don't get stereotyped as a certain type of player.

I agree, I'm just stating what I heard. I think it was Greg Raymer the year after he won the WSOP Main Event. Not sure what show it was on, but it was kind of mentioned in passing. I understand where they're coming from, but they should be able to adapt.

I'm a regular em69 is on a distinguished road em69's Avatar
    I agree, I'm just stating what I heard. I think it was Greg Raymer the year after he won the WSOP Main Event. Not sure what show it was on, but it was kind of mentioned in passing. I understand where they're coming from, but they should be able to adapt.
    The pros will watch the programming when it is aired. So they do learn how the other players play. It is no different then other sports. They need to adapt.

Helmuth or Matusow...

Both annoying to watch, but Helmuth, imho, brings nothing to TV. Unless you like to see someone complaining througout the game that he never got the cards.

Must be Single mberube is on a distinguished road mberube's Avatar
    I’m with you on that one Geoff. I think I would lose it and punch him out if I was more then an hour + on the same table. But you got to admit it he is the master of throwing amateurs off their games. I just can’t stand him. No respect at all.

Mike
    Strive for perfection, but never expect it!

Must be Single mberube is on a distinguished road mberube's Avatar
    And Gus Hansen.
    Strive for perfection, but never expect it!

Quote Originally Posted by mberube View Post
    And Gus Hansen.
    LOL - True enough

Thread Information