CorporateGolfXtra 2024
+ Reply to Thread
    Hall of Fame Hacker is on a distinguished road Hacker's Avatar

I can't believe that I'm going to say this but.......

Gerber looks AMAZING tonight. He has must have faced at least 50 shots by now and he is SOLID. Always square to the play, moving post to post with ease and under controll - this is VERY encouraging

Moderator Big Johnny69 is on a distinguished road Big Johnny69's Avatar
    Forever stuck between single digit and trunk slammer!
    Quote Originally Posted by Hacker View Post
    Gerber looks AMAZING tonight. He has must have faced at least 50 shots by now and he is SOLID. Always square to the play, moving post to post with ease and under controll - this is VERY encouraging
    Yeah, for trade bait.
    "A life lived in fear of the new and the untried is not a life lived to its fullest." M.Pare 10/09/08

Hall of Fame Hacker is on a distinguished road Hacker's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Geoff Johnston View Post
    Yeah, for trade bait.
    For sure.........but up until now I didn't think we had a chance to move him

Sleeps here davevandyk is on a distinguished road davevandyk's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Hacker View Post
    For sure.........but up until now I didn't think we had a chance to move him
    well give it a couple weeks when someone's #1 goes down and all they have is a decent back-up. There are a bunch of teams that have a 3-6million goalie with a 500,000 back up. You know if something happens to that #1, they will be scrambling for a guy who can step in til the injury heals, sounds perfect for a Gerber or Joseph type.

Hall of Fame jeffc is on a distinguished road jeffc's Avatar
    agreed Dave. And if he's playing well, we don't have to give him away for a bag of pucks.
    I got a fever. And the only prescription is more golf equipment.

3 Wood smithers40 is on a distinguished road
    is everyone forgetting emery just had a large surgery in the off season and still isn't ready to play yet? were gonna just bank that hes gonna be ok and not have the injury again? and rely on...jeff glass? if he goes down...come on guys use ur heads we gotta keep gerber around at least for this year unitl we can get at least another reliable goalie to back up...and gerber faced 52 shots and looked incredible...maybe hes ready to get back his spot this year...lets not count that out either

don't worry, the Sens will go find a legitimate backup via a trade or something - likely a veteran guy. almost 7M on two goalies is a bit much.

maybe next year we need to cut that salary cuz 7 is a little much but we dont have any cap issues right now with our line up so why not if gerbers playin well this year to keep him around at least till the offseason?

that depends how he's playing. If he starts to stumble at any point it will be impossible to trade him. He had a very solid 2nd half of the season last year and despite that, Murray couldn't give him away during the summer. If he's playing well, you have to look at moving him.

ok so say for this that we should deal him (which i dont agree with) what do the senators really need...a top 2 line forward...as murray says. Ok so gerber plays well, there is no hope even if he is great that we will get a topline forward for him. The only reason we are going to deal him is to free up cap space...cap space that we dont need to clear right now...and maybe next year when we need the cap space we play the minors game and maybe hell get picked up or maybe a trade but it doesn't seem logical this year when we can have 2 solid goalies and still be under no cap problems

Golf Canada Rules Official L4 LobWedge is on a distinguished road LobWedge's Avatar
    Don't be surprised that if Gerber get's off to a solid start that Emery's not the one on the block. Wrist surgery aside, he's turning himself in to a bigger liability off the ice.
    When applying the Rules, you follow them line by line. You don't read between them.

Forum Idiot Indio is on a distinguished road Indio's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by smithers40 View Post
    ok so say for this that we should deal him (which i dont agree with) what do the senators really need...a top 2 line forward...as murray says. Ok so gerber plays well, there is no hope even if he is great that we will get a topline forward for him. The only reason we are going to deal him is to free up cap space...cap space that we dont need to clear right now...and maybe next year when we need the cap space we play the minors game and maybe hell get picked up or maybe a trade but it doesn't seem logical this year when we can have 2 solid goalies and still be under no cap problems
    They do have a cap problem coming next year and it makes good business sense to fix the problem before it impacts business.
    Proud member of the 2009 OG/TGN Ryder Cup Champions

The whole hockey mentality is to think about this season...not the one comin next...and if it means keeping 2 goalies who are paid alot to stick around so we have a better chance of winning the cup then you do that...as much as this is a business its hockey...its about the present...its about winning the cup THIS year...

Quote Originally Posted by smithers40 View Post
    The whole hockey mentality is to think about this season...not the one comin next...and if it means keeping 2 goalies who are paid alot to stick around so we have a better chance of winning the cup then you do that...as much as this is a business its hockey...its about the present...its about winning the cup THIS year...
    it is about this year. They have a better chance of winning if they can dump 3.5M of salary and put that towards another forward or defenseman rather than having a backup at that price.

dude what i said had nothing to do with that...he said we need to do it for next year...i was sayin next year doesn't matter in hockey...and i really dont think were gonna get another player to fill that slot of money anyways so keep both around at least for this year and that way we have 2 reliable goalies...

Thread Information