CorporateGolfXtra 2024
+ Reply to Thread
    Eagle Rusty is on a distinguished road Rusty's Avatar

Question Where to stand when player is hitting?

Hi;

Hate to go back to basics but -
    I have had conflicting opinions on this point of etiquette...

If a player is addressing the ball and his head is pointed a 12:00 and his butt is at 6:00 where do I stand?

Once I was about 20 ft behind at 9:00 and the guy teed off and then freaked after hitting the ball saying that I moved my foot a couple of inches and it threw him off. I think that he was trying to explain away his crapy shot, but where do you stand and how far away?

Thanks

Rusty

Major Poster EDSGOLF is on a distinguished road
    I hope this guy was a lefty, cause from what I understand if he was a righty you'd be in front of him and you'd get hit. People stand behind me all the time and as long as they do not move, it's okay. The perfect place to stand would be behind his butt, so he can not use any excuses. My 2 cents.
    http://www.EatDrinkSleepGolf.com
    Myrtle Beach Golf

Golf Canada Rules Official L4 LobWedge is on a distinguished road LobWedge's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Rusty
    Hi;

If a player is addressing the ball and his head is pointed a 12:00 and his butt is at 6:00 where do I stand?

Once I was about 20 ft behind at 9:00 and the guy teed off and then freaked after hitting the ball saying that I moved my foot a couple of inches and it threw him off. I think that he was trying to explain away his crapy shot, but where do you stand and how far away?

Thanks

Rusty
    I sure hope this guy's not a regular playing partner.

I'll occasionally play with beginers or golfers who are relatively new to the game, and if I'm standing over my shot and I can see one of my group in my peripheral vision, I might ask them politely to move a little one direction or the other. It's probably my fault anyway, because if I'm noticing stuff like that, then I'm having a bad concentration day.

A respectful (and safe) distance either facing, behind or back along the line of play is fine. No talking once the player addresses his ball, and no sudden movements or gestures. By the way Rusty, moving your foot 2 inches at a distance of 20 feet doesn't qualify as a sudden movement in my book. There's only so many places you can stand.

It comes with experience, and you've said all the right things here, so I don't see it being an issue for you at all. If a guy we're to do that to me and I knew that I was in the right, he'd be getting it right back.

If this guy has a problem with that then maybe he should be wearing blinders and ear plugs, or even better still, playing as a group of one.
    When applying the Rules, you follow them line by line. You don't read between them.

Way Beyond Help Colby is on a distinguished road Colby's Avatar
    I played with a guy like this once. Made for a miserable round. No matter where you stood, he was always asking you to move. Carts were in his vision, everything. Couldn't stand behind him, as he was always listening for you to do something. I just stayed by the carts until he hit.
    It could be that the purpose of your life is only to serve as a warning to others.
    Colby

Major Poster EDSGOLF is on a distinguished road
    I played with some strippers once, they were moving all around topless, man it was annoying. YEAH RIGHT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    http://www.EatDrinkSleepGolf.com
    Myrtle Beach Golf

Must be Single 1972Apex is on a distinguished road 1972Apex's Avatar
    I've Signed at a couple of PGA and LPGA events. I can tell you this about the pros. They want you either directly behind them (looking at their butt when they are on the tee) or in front of them (looking at their face). Don't even think of moving a millimetre in front of the teebox. They also do not like you standing behind them along the line of the shot (back of the teeing area for example) because they can see you in their backswing. And don't even breathe after they address the ball...
    As for playing with friends, I usually break the pro etiquette and stand at the back of the teebox so I can watch their ball flight. Most of the guys I play with need that help in order to find their ball after the shot or to determine where to drop beside the water hazard.

Golf Canada Rules Official L4 BC MIST is on a distinguished road
    Hi;

I have had conflicting opinions on this point of etiquette...If a player is addressing the ball and his head is pointed a 12:00 and his butt is at 6:00 where do I stand?
    Thanks
    Rusty
    The best place top stand is behind the golfer where you are completely out of his vision. Failing that, stand in front of him, but well away.

Even though most groups do this, the worst place to stand is "down the line" as though you are trying to follow the ball toward the fairway or the green. From there the golfer can easily see you in his periferal vision, regardless of how far away you are.

Similarly, on the putting green, you never stand on the players line, on his or the other side of the hole. Again, stand in front of or behind the player.

Perhaps most importantly, stay still and quiet.

Interesting example: At an Invitational tournament at Smiths' Falls CC a few years back, I was standing well behind my fellow competitor on the first tee, when he turned around and asked me to move right off the tee. I complied. On the second tee, I was first to hit and I started to swing back, stopped, and turned to my "friend" who was on the tee and asked if he would mind stepping off the tee. He did.

We got along great after that.

Must be Single 1972Apex is on a distinguished road 1972Apex's Avatar
    You explained that very well BC. Pretty much what I was trying to say but your way of explaining it made sense LOL! I agree that standing directly behind the player so that you are completely out of their sight is the best option. That said, in a recreational round I do find that most of the people I play with actually want their partners to stand in a position where they can follow the flight of the ball to help find it.

Eagle Rusty is on a distinguished road Rusty's Avatar

Great answers!

Its funny but I never thought about it, but I do stand behind to follow the ball for the guy teeing off. Its a force of habit to stand there with the guys I normally play with.

Now I will stand behind at about 5 oclock,(except for lefties), back about 10 feet and watch for the ball from there.

I don't want to ruin someones outing, but I agree that some players are just too uptight about movement and noise.
    I always tell the group I join to tell me if I am doing anything to anoy them, other than than hitting the trees all the time.
    The beauty of golf is that with all the people that I have joined only 2 or 3 have been a pain, the rest have been just great.

Anyway thanks for the input

Rusty

Hi;

Thanks

Rusty

I don't want to ruin someones outing, but I agree that some players are just too uptight about movement and noise.
    I always tell the group I join to tell me if I am doing anything to anoy them, other than than hitting the trees all the time.
    Rusty
    There is no indication of how much experience you have playing golf, and it really doesn't matter, but the fact that you are considerate of the other golfers in your group as you have indicated, is just great.

Hopelessly Addicted el tigre is on a distinguished road el tigre's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Proforged
    That said, in a recreational round I do find that most of the people I play with actually want their partners to stand in a position where they can follow the flight of the ball to help find it.
    I am definately one of these people. I hit such a high ball that I often have a difficult time seeing the ball after I hit it, especially on a bright, sunny day (I mean, it's not like I really KNOW where the ball is going to go!) Plus I tend to play early in the morning, when you can often have fog. So I usually ask partners to stand "down the line".

Personally, I find it far more uncomfortable when someone is in front of me than when they are "down the line". When they are in front I feel like they are staring at "me", but when they are "down the line" I feel like they are looking at the "ball". But maybe that's just me.
    [COLOR=green][B]Golf is a game invented by the same people who think music comes out of bagpipes.[/B][/COLOR]

Way Beyond Help Colby is on a distinguished road Colby's Avatar
    If you watch the pros, they are usually back and off to one side, keeping quiet. The tee boxes are sometimes surrounded by fans, marshells, photographers, etc. When you see one of the pros hitting from the rough when the gallery has been moved back, they are encircled by fans on both sides and from behind.

As long as you are quiet, and don't move, what is the difference between you, a tree, tee marker, the sign for the hole, golf bag, etc? I think people need to lighten up, As long as you aren't in a position for me to hit you with either the club or the ball, and are quiet and not moving, stand where you are want.
    It could be that the purpose of your life is only to serve as a warning to others.
    Colby

In the same way that there is an accepted etiquette when fine dining, as to what fork, spoon knife you are supposed to use, how and in what order, there is also an etiquette standard in golf that is accepted as to how the golfers should conduct themselves. It does not mean that we all follow this standard, but it does exist, and if you find golfers that want to conduct the game in this manner, then rather than suggest that they lower their standards,(lighten up), that the other golfers should raise their's. A revision of these standards is found in the new 2004 edition of "The Rules of Golf," 'Section 1 Etiquette: Behaviour on the Course.' The one in question is, "Players should not stand close to or directly behind the ball(means down the line) or directly behind the hole, when a player is about to play."

A el tigre mentioned, there are many golfers who do not mind others standing down the line, to watch where the ball goes when they hit and if all are agreeable, then that's fine. However, it's still not the proper etiquette for that circumstance and could be distracting to some, and if playing with strangers or in a tournament is it not best to stand in the proper place rather than assume that down the line or whatever is OK?

Andru
    I try not to stand in the path of the ball. That can cause you a lot of trouble. Just some privileged advice for you only.

Hopelessly Addicted broken27 is on a distinguished road broken27's Avatar
    Stand directly in front of where you think the ball is going to go after the shot. That way, finding the ball is very easy (embedded in your skull).

Realistically, I think these are rules you establish with your playing partners if you're just playing a casual round. In tournaments where the rules are enforced, I'd go along with those people who say behind or in front, but mainly stand still and quiet.

Dan
    [URL=http://www.sportsfiend.ca/]Sportsfiend.ca - Make You Opinion Into News...

Quote Originally Posted by Andru
    I try not to stand in the path of the ball. That can cause you a lot of trouble. Just some privileged advice for you only.

In many years of playing I have managed not to stand in anybody's path, however, there have been a few close calls.

It seems that every time I play Mountain Creek, I almost get killed. That has to be the most dangerous golf course around.

Hall of Fame mpare is on a distinguished road mpare's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by BC MIST

In many years of playing I have managed not to stand in anybody's path, however, there have been a few close calls.

It seems that every time I play Mountain Creek, I almost get killed. That has to be the most dangerous golf course around.
    You think that Mountain Creek is dangerous. Wait until you play Chateau Cartier this summer. My advice - bring a helmet. The balls can come at you from any direction.

Golf Canada Rules Official L4 gbower is on a distinguished road
    I never really know where to stand as one day when standing on the cart path in back of the guy on the tee we just about got nailed and he just about got mamed as the drive went right between his legs and nearly got us. He tried it a couple more times but we were now well behind and back.

Hall of Fame mpare is on a distinguished road mpare's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by gbower
    I never really know where to stand as one day when standing on the cart path in back of the guy on the tee we just about got nailed and he just about got mamed as the drive went right between his legs and nearly got us. He tried it a couple more times but we were now well behind and back.
    With this golfer in mind maybe we should start a thread headed "The Ten Most Dangerous Golfers In The Ottawa Area." Anyone who can drill a tee shot between his own legs has my admiration. He's a shoo in for admission.

Pitching Wedge RailRoad17 is on a distinguished road
    Quote Originally Posted by BC MIST

Capital Golf Course is perhaps the most dangerous golf course in the world!

Big_duck
    For some guys I've played with, standing in the balls intended line of flight is safer then the probable flying club launch arc.

Thread Information