100 Holes of Hope
+ Reply to Thread
    1 Iron sparsons is on a distinguished road

Indoor golf dome in the West End

I heard on CJOH news last night that city council is voting on a indoor golf dome to be located near Greenbank road. It will be a joint venture between private companies and public money. It will be very similar to the one located in the East end. Anybody else hear about this??

Founder Kilroy is on a distinguished road Kilroy's Avatar
    Sounds great to me!
    Life dinnae come wit gimmies so yuv got nae chance o' gitt'n any from me.

Golf Canada Rules Official L4 BC MIST is on a distinguished road
    Quote Originally Posted by sparsons View Post
    I heard on CJOH news last night that city council is voting on a indoor golf dome to be located near Greenbank road. It will be a joint venture between private companies and public money. It will be very similar to the one located in the East end. Anybody else hear about this??
    Yup. A year ago.

I Just Won't Leave covanant is on a distinguished road covanant's Avatar
    I sure hope it will be open to golfers on weekends.
    [font=Impact]Dirty...Mean...And Mighty Unclean.[/font]

Championship Cup PEI Golfing is on a distinguished road PEI Golfing's Avatar
    Here is the Council Meeting Highlights from Feb.8 re: Council Ok's New Sports Dome for West End. http://ottawa.ca/city_hall/mayor_cou...060208_en.html
    Council OK’s New Sports Dome for the West End
    "Council has asked that a request for proposals be issued for the provision of an indoor sports field dome at Ben Franklin Park, a large park located near West Hunt Club Road and Greenbank. The park now includes four sports fields, which will be ready for play this spring, and a play structure will be built later this year.
    The City will undertake a Public-Private Partnership (P3) to build the next phase of the park’s development. This includes outdoor sports fields and a high-quality, enclosed dome/structure with artificial turf, able to accommodate sports such as soccer, ultimate frisbee and rugby. The indoor and outdoor facilities will be managed and maintained by the successful P3 proponent.
    Once the request for proposal process is complete and Council approves the private sector partner(s), the specifics of the sports dome will be fleshed out and the public will have an opportunity to review suggested designs before construction begins."

Would like to have seen the word "golf" somewhere....... The Ottawa Golf community needs to lobby hard for a decent indoor range and hours at the new Dome. Hopefully, like on Bearbrook, but with even better hours.............

This past September was the next stage in selecting the P3 partner TMSI.
    http://ottawa.ca/city_hall/mayor_cou...060913_en.html

13 September, 2006

City Council Meeting Highlights
    "P3 project for west-end sports dome moves to next stage
    City Council today approved a recommendation directing City staff to enter into negotiations with Thunderbird Management Services Inc. (TMSI) as the private-sector partner to build, operate and maintain an indoor dome and outdoor sports fields at Ben Franklin Park.
    In order to meet the growing demand for year-round access to sports fields, this project includes the addition of an indoor sports dome with artificial turf—including amenity spaces, two irrigated full-size outdoor fields and a parking lot.
    These new recreation facilities will provide residents with much-needed year round access to a high-quality, indoor turf to play soccer, ultimate frisbee and rugby. TMSI was selected as the preferred partner a result of a competitive bidding process for the project. City staff will work with TMSI and the community to negotiate the project details from construction to the types of programs offered. City staff will report to Council on the outcome of the negotiations in January 2007."

Again NO MENTION OF GOLF.............

Has anyone heard any discussion of a golf range.....??? It will likely be part of the programs, but it would be nice to have "golf" mentioned at least once.

I believe it is the same group that runs the Bearbrook dome.

Quote Originally Posted by Dan Kilbank View Post
    Yes, TMSI runs the SuperDome on Bearbrook.http://www.superdome.ca/contact.shtml

They will likely keep the same business model which has been successful in the East End. Which means golf 8:00 am - 4:00 pm Mon.-Fri.
    Would be nice if they could find even a small slot of time on the weekend. I know they will argue about the time it takes to move any of the golf related equipment out of the way will not make it feasible for a brief weekend period.

Well at least this is better than nothing in the Westend !!!

Someday we will get a real all year golf centre like this one in T.O.
    http://www.launchgolfcentre.com/gallery

Golf Canada Rules Official L4 BC MIST is on a distinguished road
    Quote Originally Posted by Dan Kilbank View Post
    In a discussion with some TSMI folk over a year ago, golf was definitely part of the plans.

Let's hope that they set aside some evening and weekend times for probably the majority of golfers who cannot make use of the facility during the day. However, soccer, et al, brings in a lot more money than golf.

wahz
    Quote Originally Posted by PEI Golfing View Post
    They will likely keep the same business model which has been successful in the East End. Which means golf 8:00 am - 4:00 pm Mon.-Fri.
    Would be nice if they could find even a small slot of time on the weekend. I know they will argue about the time it takes to move any of the golf related equipment out of the way will not make it feasible for a brief weekend period.
    When I was at the Superdome (a month ago), I asked them about the possibility of opening a West end location. I was told that the dome would be 5 soccer fields (vs. 2 at East end location) and 2 would be committed to golf, while the others would be used for field sports. So the 2 golf fields would be able to be run for longer hours (possibly midnight, but don't quote me on that) and maybe weekends. Either way, it's better for West enders than having to drive 25 mins across city or sit in rushhour traffic.

The facility is 5 minutes from my place. WooHoo!

Caddy larry is on a distinguished road larry's Avatar

Smile

2 minuets from mine. Could walk if I wasn't so lazy.

6 Iron Bull147 is on a distinguished road
    More importantly, keep on your local councillor to get this thing done.I have been involved in several Triple-P projects, and if either side loses focus, things go off the rails quickly. It's usually the private side that louses things up, but change of staff sometimes slows the public end as well. Given that it is a 5-minute drive from my house (timed it today), I will be pushing my councillor on this one.

Quote Originally Posted by PEI Golfing View Post
    This past September was the next stage in selecting the P3 partner TMSI.
    http://ottawa.ca/city_hall/mayor_cou...060913_en.html

13 September, 2006

City Council Meeting Highlights
    "P3 project for west-end sports dome moves to next stage
    City Council today approved a recommendation directing City staff to enter into negotiations with Thunderbird Management Services Inc. (TMSI) as the private-sector partner to build, operate and maintain an indoor dome and outdoor sports fields at Ben Franklin Park.
    In order to meet the growing demand for year-round access to sports fields, this project includes the addition of an indoor sports dome with artificial turf—including amenity spaces, two irrigated full-size outdoor fields and a parking lot.
    These new recreation facilities will provide residents with much-needed year round access to a high-quality, indoor turf to play soccer, ultimate frisbee and rugby. TMSI was selected as the preferred partner a result of a competitive bidding process for the project. City staff will work with TMSI and the community to negotiate the project details from construction to the types of programs offered. City staff will report to Council on the outcome of the negotiations in January 2007."

Again NO MENTION OF GOLF.............

Has anyone heard any discussion of a golf range.....??? It will likely be part of the programs, but it would be nice to have "golf" mentioned at least once.

It is a good location and I don't think this particular private organization (TMSI) is likely to drop the ball. They have lots of experience at this.

Quote Originally Posted by wahz View Post
    When I was at the Superdome (a month ago), I asked them about the possibility of opening a West end location. I was told that the dome would be 5 soccer fields (vs. 2 at East end location) and 2 would be committed to golf, while the others would be used for field sports. So the 2 golf fields would be able to be run for longer hours (possibly midnight, but don't quote me on that) and maybe weekends. Either way, it's better for West enders than having to drive 25 mins across city or sit in rushhour traffic.
    Heard the same thing today. Understand Council gave final approval on Wednesday and the Dome is a GO!! Even better, the two fields approximately 80-90 yards in combined width similiar to Bearbrook is CONFIRMED FOR GOLF ONLY !!!! Also, looks it will be open until midnight 7 days a week, but even heard possibly even 24/7.
    Apparently they have begun some site preparation this week. I will check that out this weekend..... Also, understand that some of Ottawa's golf instructors and other people in the Ottawa golf community are lobbying hard to also have an indoor putting and short game area included with the two fields.
    This Dome is supposed to be 5 soccer fields compared to Bearbrooks 3.
    Understand it will be one of the largest Rec indoor domes in North America when completed. In total length the Dome will be about 500 ft based on each field is approximatley 93 ft x5 and has approx. 10 ft space between fields x 5 = 465 ft + 50ft = 515 ft

This is fantastic news for the Golf community. A long time coming.....

Dan, perhaps this forum can also get involved in the lobbying process for the putting and short game areas. Contact TMSI and the City !!!!

O'h forgot to mention that it will be opening this Fall 2007.
    Apparently was almost delayed further under the new Mayor's freeze but thankfully Council was able to give it final passing on Wed.

Here is the exerpt from last weeks Citizen prior to Council approval this past Wednesday.

Noticed there are some survey stakes on the site. Large mounds of earth as well, but I believe they have been sittting there for some time.
    As mentioned the Dome will be opening this Fall 2007.

Committee endorses partnership to build Ben Franklin Place dome

(Wednesday, February 07, 2007 by The Ottawa Citizen) -- A new sports dome at Ben Franklin Park is one step closer to reality today after the city's economic affairs committee endorsed a public-private partnership for the project, which will also see several new outdoor sports fields.
    Under the agreement, Thunderbird Management Services Inc. will construct the dome and run the facilities for 20 years, charging fees to use them.
    The city will contribute $2 million toward the project, which municipal staff say would have cost them $6.15 million to build, and will own the facilities when the agreement runs out.
    The arrangement must now be approved by city council.
    © The Ottawa Citizen 2007

Still no sign of any work starting. No way there will be a golf dome up and running by the fall.

Putter J.Stanley is on a distinguished road
    To Erect a Sport Dome and have it funtional for use takes less than 5 weeks. So even if they don't start until Aug they have enough time.

Putter Jayme Reid is on a distinguished road
    Quote Originally Posted by larry View Post
    Still no sign of any work starting. No way there will be a golf dome up and running by the fall.
    It only takes about 2 mths to build a dome of this sort.

I know they can throw up the dome in a couple of weeks but it's the infastructure that will take time, water, sewers, parking lot etc. Most of that will be the responsibility of the city. And with budget cuts, it may not get done quickly. But I hope your right. The park is only a couple of blocks from my place.

Putter Jayme Reid is on a distinguished road
    Quote Originally Posted by larry View Post
    I know they can throw up the dome in a couple of weeks but it's the infastructure that will take time, water, sewers, parking lot etc. Most of that will be the responsibility of the city. And with budget cuts, it may not get done quickly. But I hope your right. The park is only a couple of blocks from my place.
    The water/sewers are already in place so no work needs to be done on that area.There is no plans for a parking lot they plan on having people park on the street.

Thread Information