100 Holes of Hope
+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
    Hall of Fame Hacker is on a distinguished road Hacker's Avatar
    John Daly is a freaking living legend, a folk hero to the out of shape, beer drinking, foul-mouthed, NASCAR loving AVERAGE JOE.

Good on Maxfli for realizing that Long John will appeal to THEIR market, the average Joe who doesn't spend $60 a dozen on Pro V1's - Brilliant, Brilliant marketing on Maxfli's behalf

1 Iron B Nation is on a distinguished road
    Quote Originally Posted by Hacker View Post
    John Daly is a freaking living legend, a folk hero to the out of shape, beer drinking, foul-mouthed, NASCAR loving AVERAGE JOE.

Good on Maxfli for realizing that Long John will appeal to THEIR market, the average Joe who doesn't spend $60 a dozen on Pro V1's - Brilliant, Brilliant marketing on Maxfli's behalf
    Brilliant? It isn't even going to get shown on TV?

Anyways, I have a ton in common with JD. We both love beer, women and gambling. Neither of us practice, are in shape or can hit a fairway. Having said that I am not a big JD fan.

Daly is the "coolest" guy on the PGA tour by default. The lack of personalities on tour allow for a guy like him to be super popular, but in any other sport he'd be just another guy. People would dog him for the amount of talent he's wasted, but in golf he somehow gets a pass.

Quote Originally Posted by B Nation View Post
    It won't be shown on CBS - half of the golf shown on TV is shown on the Golf Channel so as long as they pick it up it will all be good.........but even if it isn't shown on TV who cares? I'd bet that Big John sells more "stuff" then one of the 'fancier' types like Sergio or Villegas - the 2 career Majors don't hurt either

Hall of Fame jonf is on a distinguished road jonf's Avatar

Anyways, I have a ton in common with JD. We both love beer, women and gambling. Neither of us practice, are in shape or can hit a fairway. Having said that I am not a big JD fan.

Daly is the "coolest" guy on the PGA tour by default. The lack of personalities on tour allow for a guy like him to be super popular, but in any other sport he'd be just another guy. People would dog him for the amount of talent he's wasted, but in golf he somehow gets a pass.

It's getting more publicity from not getting shown than it ever would have on saturday afternoon golf.

People who would dog on him for wasting talent would be the same people who don't know how to have any fun. This guy lives life, has a blast and, oh, btw, has won two majors, something which sets him apart from the majority of those who focus solely on golf. Don't get me wrong, I'm not saying we should all go out and gamble and drink away the pain. But at least JD has some personality that he's not afraid to show.

Championship Cup PEI Golfing is on a distinguished road PEI Golfing's Avatar
    Yes, and NASCAR loving AVERAGE JOE and his wife will be teeing off soon at a course near you................

"So many moving parts. Your whole body's moving, and this ball is not moving. It's standing still, laughing at you." [B] Tiger Woods[/B]

GolfPig of the Year 2006 Golfbum is on a distinguished road
    Quote Originally Posted by PEI Golfing View Post
    Yes, and NASCAR loving AVERAGE JOE and his wife will be teeing off soon at a course near you................

Not sure what course you play, but I have already seen this couple, or their cousins playing at mine on a Saturday monring
    My opinions are my own, I do not follow others.

Team Match Play Champ 2009 hoolio is on a distinguished road hoolio's Avatar
    Personally, I think paying such a deep-hearted homage to a NASCAR Legend, beloved by so many, shows class beyond anything I've seen displayed at a PGA Event in a long time.

Let's put a Smile on that Face!

Quote Originally Posted by PEI Golfing View Post

Isn't that the Brookstreet Hotel I see off in the distance in that picture???

I'd keep my eyes open if I was you PEI - actually, just find the beer girl and I'm sure that you will find JOE and JOE-ETTE

Seriously though, you have to admit that Big John appeals to the masses

Moderator Big Johnny69 is on a distinguished road Big Johnny69's Avatar
    Forever stuck between single digit and trunk slammer!

The guy gets a pass because he's been through so much (admittedly most is self inflicted), but he doesn't give up and is out there doing what he loves. Most others would go into hiding and you wouldn't hear from them for years. The guy has guts and is willing to put his life out there in the spotlight, even with all his faults. I'm not a huge JD fan either, but I give him credit for working through all his problems and being up front about it.
    "A life lived in fear of the new and the untried is not a life lived to its fullest." M.Pare 10/09/08

Championship Cup PEI Golfing is on a distinguished road PEI Golfing's Avatar
    Isn't that the Brookstreet Hotel I see off in the distance in that picture???

I'd keep my eyes open if I was you PEI - actually, just find the beer girl and I'm sure that you will find JOE and JOE-ETTE

Seriously though, you have to admit that Big John appeals to the masses

Scary thing is I am sure it was this guy coming out of the change room at Golftown last weekend, and he had been trying on about 10 shirts.....................
    "So many moving parts. Your whole body's moving, and this ball is not moving. It's standing still, laughing at you." [B] Tiger Woods[/B]

Quote Originally Posted by Geoff Johnston View Post
    The guy gets a pass because he's been through so much (admittedly most is self inflicted), but he doesn't give up and is out there doing what he loves. Most others would go into hiding and you wouldn't hear from them for years. The guy has guts and is willing to put his life out there in the spotlight, even with all his faults. I'm not a huge JD fan either, but I give him credit for working through all his problems and being up front about it.
    Well spoken Geoff. Lots of people who have had alcohol problems just crawl into a hole and waste their life away.
    As you said at least he is out there trying, like everyone else he has to make a living.

Hall of Fame spackler is on a distinguished road spackler's Avatar
    No offense guys, but JD is the king of the Friday morning WD after a Thursday afternoon 78. He clearly doesn't care about his problem with alcoholism or the effect it's had and has on his family and friends. Eli Callaway went out of his way to pick him up when no one else would, and he repaid that favour and trust by setting it on fire. He's not trying to work his way through anything. The only reason he's 'out there' is because there is a buck to be made.

And all of that is fine, I don't care either way what he does as it's his life to live. But don't make him out as some hero of the everyday person, because he's not. If he was your brother, you'd have disowned him long ago. If he was your neighbour, you'd have a restraining order on him.

Moderator Big Johnny69 is on a distinguished road Big Johnny69's Avatar
    Forever stuck between single digit and trunk slammer!
    Quote Originally Posted by spackler View Post
    No offense guys, but JD is the king of the Friday morning WD after a Thursday afternoon 78. He clearly doesn't care about his problem with alcoholism or the effect it's had and has on his family and friends. Eli Callaway went out of his way to pick him up when no one else would, and he repaid that favour and trust by setting it on fire. He's not trying to work his way through anything. The only reason he's 'out there' is because there is a buck to be made.

And all of that is fine, I don't care either way what he does as it's his life to live. But don't make him out as some hero of the everyday person, because he's not. If he was your brother, you'd have disowned him long ago. If he was your neighbour, you'd have a restraining order on him.

I had an uncle who passed away due to alcoholism. He wasn't a bad guy or father. He tried hard and was a good guy. He just couldn't beat his addiction/disease which made him make some bad choices in life. JD may have some of those same issues.

Don't get me wrong, by no means am I calling him a hero. But I give him credit for facing the media as opposed to hiding or sending statements via his agent. And if you knew my family you'd welcome JD into yours with open arms.
    "A life lived in fear of the new and the untried is not a life lived to its fullest." M.Pare 10/09/08

Must be Single dbleber is on a distinguished road dbleber's Avatar
    There's 45 seconds of my life I'll never get back. Brutal.

And all of that is fine, I don't care either way what he does as it's his life to live. But don't make him out as some hero of the everyday person, because he's not. If he was your brother, you'd have disowned him long ago. If he was your neighbor, you'd have a restraining order on him.

If he was my neighbour I would go out and play golf with him, have him over for a BBQ and beer.
    My god, are you so perfect in your life that you have no personal issues you deal with?
    Do you smoke? If so what a filthy stinking air polluting habit that is.
    Have you ever driven a car over the speed limit? If so you have committed a criminal act.
    Lay off the guy, you do not know him personally, he has never caused you any harm.
    You think he is the only guy to WD after a bad round on Thursday? Think again.
    I have worked with alcoholics, they never did me any harm. No one is making him out to be a HERO. Not once did I or Geoff say that.
    Lighten up guys. He is just a human being like the rest of us. Read his book, go ahead an read it. See if he is trying to clean up his act.
    None of us are perfect, if you think you are then you are living in a dream world.

Founder Kilroy is on a distinguished road Kilroy's Avatar
    This is getting personal. Let's get back to the subject of the banning of the ad or your opinions of the ad or we'll have to shut 'er down.

Thanks.
    Life dinnae come wit gimmies so yuv got nae chance o' gitt'n any from me.

Hall of Fame spackler is on a distinguished road spackler's Avatar
    The point I was trying to make is that in many of these posts, credit is given to him for things that he just does not do. It's a common misconception, I read and hear it all the time, and it should be corrected. He is not trying to fix his problems as is commonly said, he is making a spectacle of them. He does not have a 'never give up' attitude as is commonly said, clearly when the going gets tough, JD quits. That's all.

I don't think these are personality traits that should be celebrated, but I for sure don't care if a commercial is aired or not. I prefer to make my own judgements on these things and don't need CBS or whomever trying to make them for me.

Hall of Fame jonf is on a distinguished road jonf's Avatar
    The point I was trying to make is that in many of these posts, credit is given to him for things that he just does not do. It's a common misconception, I read and hear it all the time, and it should be corrected. He is not trying to fix his problems as is commonly said, he is making a spectacle of them. He does not have a 'never give up' attitude as is commonly said, clearly when the going gets tough, JD quits. That's all.
    Honest question here: What inside knowledge of Daly's personality and personal life do you have that makes you so confident about these aspects of Daly's life?

Thread Information