CorporateGolfXtra 2024
+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
    NFL Guru fundonny is on a distinguished road fundonny's Avatar
    I don't like Sergio at all, this just adds to the list. I ain't a spitter, and I actually can't stand when someone I'm around keeps doing it. Find it rather ugly. Golfers don't need to spit like hockey or football players do.
    Donny Vantage NFL Guru, since 1974
    Money won is twice as sweet as money earned

Forum Idiot Indio is on a distinguished road Indio's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by pvs1313 View Post
    question i have,

how much did the PGA fine Tiger for raking his putter over the green in 2005 open when he missed a putt? left a gouge in the green, not just spit in a cup?
    I don't understand what that has to do with spitting? One is a potential heath issue and stupidity, the other is just stupidity.
    Proud member of the 2009 OG/TGN Ryder Cup Champions

Golf Nut pvs1313 is on a distinguished road pvs1313's Avatar
    well, if it is a lack of ettiquette, one is far worse than the other, ( raking across the green can and will effect the putts of others) as of health , well not much of an issue, not that i think it is right of course, it was stupid to do, but not like he killed someone,

point is not a big deal, and others do far worse things and do not take the same flack,

anyway i guess it is just a a matter of people not liking him for whatever reason.

Quote Originally Posted by pvs1313 View Post
    well, if it is a lack of ettiquette, one is far worse than the other, ( raking across the green can and will effect the putts of others) as of health , well not much of an issue, not that i think it is right of course, it was stupid to do, but not like he killed someone,

point is not a big deal, and others do far worse things and do not take the same flack,

anyway i guess it is just a a matter of people not liking him for whatever reason.
    I wouldn't have had a problem with it, had it been somewhere else, but not in the damned cup

As for hating him, like Tiger and Lefty, they all have their fans and foes, thats not the issue I have with what he did. No I don't like him but that had no bearing on my thought process

Championship Cup PEI Golfing is on a distinguished road PEI Golfing's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by jonf View Post
    Listen, I'm not trying to say that we should all go around horkin' loogies all over the course. But, he was frustrated and did it. As he said, he made sure it went dead centre, where no hands or balls would end up touching it. Give the guy a break. Considering we've got cameras on these guys non-stop for 4 days ever week, its remarkable that this kind of thing happens so infrequently. In my mind, one such indiscretion over the course of 8 years is excusable.
    Yes, but an indiscretion like that is going to cost the "young man" some serious endorsement $$$$...........Hopefully, it will be a good "growing up" lesson.

I for one never had anything against SG. In fact I really "enjoyed" watching him play and the Spanish passion he showed for the game. I used the word enjoyed, but the "disgusting act" he exhibited yesterday has turned me right off !!!
    "So many moving parts. Your whole body's moving, and this ball is not moving. It's standing still, laughing at you." [B] Tiger Woods[/B]

They just interviewed Finchem on the Sergio spit..... he said ' I won't comment on it right now' then continued to say we try to avoid distractions on the PGA Tour. I am sure that you will find this is a 'one off' situation anf I will be talking to Serio about it in the future. I'm sure Sergio won't cause any more distractions of this manner again. He has been a wonderful addition to the PGA Tour.

Quote Originally Posted by Indio View Post
    They just interviewed Finchem on the Sergio spit..... he said ' I won't comment on it right now' then continued to say we try to avoid distractions on the PGA Tour. I am sure that you will find this is a 'one off' situation anf I will be talking to Serio about it in the future. I'm sure Sergio won't cause any more distractions of this manner again. He has been a wonderful addition to the PGA Tour.
    Yes, I just saw the same interview. They will talk to Sergio, and he will say he regrets the embaressment it has caused the PGA and end of subject......

Unfortunately, an act like that will always be remember no matter what else he ends up doing in his career. An example is former Blue Jay, Roberto Alomar. Robbie had a fantastic career with the Jays, World Series Champs, Allstar, was very involved with various charity work. Unfortunately, many people remember and it still is brought up occasionally when he "spit in the face" of the Umpire.
    Yes, that is certainly more serious than what Sergio did, but the fact is they are both disgusting acts and tend to stay in the minds of the viewing public.

I am sure Mi_ _ _ _ _ _(beer sponser) would prefer you associate beautiful women with Sergio when you are drinking their beer, not "seeing Sergio drop a gob of spit" in the hole......

Marketing works very much with association, and this is one association I am sure his beer sponser would like everyone to forget about quickly........
    "So many moving parts. Your whole body's moving, and this ball is not moving. It's standing still, laughing at you." [B] Tiger Woods[/B]

Hall of Fame jonf is on a distinguished road jonf's Avatar
    I really don't think that people are going to remember this in five years, and if they do, they do, it certainly won't be one of those image tarnishing incidents like Alomar spitting in the ump's face.

As for beer sponsors....that might be just the image they're going for

Quote Originally Posted by jonf View Post
    As for beer sponsors....that might be just the image they're going for
    Yeah, you might be right........ This could open up Golf to an entire new audience........

From Bob Weeks Scoregolf Blog today.
    http://www.scoregolf.com/blog/bob-we...rgios-spit.cfm

"And now, courtesy of Sergio Garcia, kids all over the world will be spitting in the cup when they miss a putt."

"It's not the first time he's hocked a loogie during a golf tournament. At the International last year, Sergio spit at his ball when he missed a birdie putt. Here's a bit from the Sporting News:
    Last week at the International, for example, Sergio hit a 242-yard shot from the fairway on a par five to within three feet for eagle, spit at the ball when it didn't drop for birdie on a par four and threw his club 75 feet in the air when his wedge from 110 yards found a greenside watering hole instead of the hole itself."

1 Iron B Nation is on a distinguished road
    I don't even know what would prompt someone to spit in a golf hole.

I would be thoroughly disgusted if I reached into the hole and found spit in there with my ball.

Practice Pig ironmaster15213 is on a distinguished road ironmaster15213's Avatar
    I bet sasquatch number 3 wouldn't think of spitting into a golf hole

Caddy Thunder is on a distinguished road
    All in all, spitting in the cup was wrong!! But to call him a snob and an arrogant S.O.B. is a little harsh. I believe he comes across that way due to the language barrier. It is hard to be yourself or express yourself the way you want in another language ie.(not Mother tongue). Not to mention, the only time we hear SG speak is after all his near wins but losses...a little frustrating time and time again.

Regardless, I had the opportunity to meet him in Spain last year right after he lost the Volvo Masters at Valderama and I tell you what...first class individual. He just came off losing one of his most prized tourneys, and he had time to talk with me and laugh and spend 1/2 hour in front of reporters going through the disapointments of losing. Ya i don't agree with the spitting in the cup. The heat of the moment got him and so did the camera. Fine him or do whatever, but it doesn't make him a bad guy...he just made a bad decision. My 2 cents!!!
    THUNDER

Hall of Fame jonf is on a distinguished road jonf's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Thunder View Post
    All in all, spitting in the cup was wrong!! But to call him a snob and an arrogant S.O.B. is a little harsh. I believe he comes across that way due to the language barrier. It is hard to be yourself or express yourself the way you want in another language ie.(not Mother tongue). Not to mention, the only time we hear SG speak is after all his near wins but losses...a little frustrating time and time again.

Regardless, I had the opportunity to meet him in Spain last year right after he lost the Volvo Masters at Valderama and I tell you what...first class individual. He just came off losing one of his most prized tourneys, and he had time to talk with me and laugh and spend 1/2 hour in front of reporters going through the disapointments of losing. Ya i don't agree with the spitting in the cup. The heat of the moment got him and so did the camera. Fine him or do whatever, but it doesn't make him a bad guy...he just made a bad decision. My 2 cents!!!
    well said

Must be Single Txxxxxxx is on a distinguished road Txxxxxxx's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Thunder View Post

Good post. However, if you read the interview in one of the recent Golf Magazines, he is a self proclaimed snob, and says he doesn't really give a crap what people think.

To some extent, I agree with his views on not caring, because if you cared what everyone thought about you, you'd never be able to concentrate on playing. That being said, the guy is no doubt arrogant, and doesn't think a lot of the time of what he does. I don't think it's so much a language barrier thing either, since he's not the only one who isn't from North America under the spotlight in the PGA and who's first language isn't English.

Sure lots of people like to scrutinize him, but at the same time, I see A LOT of people making excuses for him too.

GolfPig of the Year 2006 Golfbum is on a distinguished road
    [quote=EdmontonGolfer;169334]Good post. However, if you read the interview in one of the recent Golf Magazines, he is a self proclaimed snob, and says he doesn't really give a crap what people think.

quote]

Hey he is just like me, doesn't give a crap what people think about him Really why worry about stuff like that? I mean someone either likes you are dislikes you. So no use getting bent out of shape about it.

What he did was wrong, but my god he is being raked over hot coals here. I have seen Woods horking on the course, and yet not once has that been mentioned.

One thing about Sergio, he gets the hot babes!
    My opinions are my own, I do not follow others.

Must be Single Txxxxxxx is on a distinguished road Txxxxxxx's Avatar
    [quote=Golfbum;169341]
    Quote Originally Posted by EdmontonGolfer View Post
    Good post. However, if you read the interview in one of the recent Golf Magazines, he is a self proclaimed snob, and says he doesn't really give a crap what people think.

quote]

Hey he is just like me, doesn't give a crap what people think about him Really why worry about stuff like that? I mean someone either likes you are dislikes you. So no use getting bent out of shape about it.

What he did was wrong, but my god he is being raked over hot coals here. I have seen Woods horking on the course, and yet not once has that been mentioned.

One thing about Sergio, he gets the hot babes!
    I think the overall point is, yes it's fine not to care what people think about you, but when you're a role model and public figure, you really SHOULD care about what you do in the eye of your fans etc..

I have a few friends in the NHL, Major Leagues, and Peace Officers, and they've all commented and are VERY careful about what they do in the eye of the public, because it's all about impressions when it comes down to things like this. There's no way we can say how the person really is, unless of course we are actually friends with them, or know them, so it's pretty important to create the best image you can, whether or not you care what people think of you, it's something you have to accept as part of being a PROFESSIONAL.

Sponsors give out contracts for exposure based on a skill set or personality. You don't see John Daly sponsored by Harrah's, but I'm sure he'd be a good spokesperson for them.

Founder Kilroy is on a distinguished road Kilroy's Avatar
    For me it's not that he spit. It's where he chose to do it. Everyone behind him puts their hand in the cup. THAT's disgusting.
    Life dinnae come wit gimmies so yuv got nae chance o' gitt'n any from me.

Caddy larry is on a distinguished road larry's Avatar
    Sergio may say he doesn't care what people think but if Taylor Made Addidas cancel his endorsements, he will care real quick.

"Richard"
    Quote Originally Posted by Marcos View Post
    Thats nothing, i herd of a guy here in the Ottawa area that put peanut butter around the cup. LOL
    You kids are like sponges!!! hilarious! Just to be clear, it wasnt actually me, but I was there

Thread Information