CorporateGolfXtra 2024
+ Reply to Thread
    Competitor Golfer_Gofer is on a distinguished road Golfer_Gofer's Avatar

Blackout Hockey games

Anyone else think its completly wrong for out of town Hockey games to get Blackedout on Rogers cable?

The main reason most of us pay for Cable is to watch programmes that are not local. I hate that when the leafs play on a wednesday night and everywhere else in the province they're showing the Leafs vs. Rangers on rogers sportsnet and I have to watch god womens body building instead!

I even have the digital package and have all the rogers sportsnet channels in 400s (east, west, ontario, etc.) and the games are blacked out from that as well. Even last week there was a western game blacked out.

There must be something us hockey fans can do to fight this ing blackout rule!...I know most of you Sens fans could careless as you get to watch your team everynight they play, but as a HOCKEY fan it would be nice to get to see the other games.... and I know someone will say "buy the centre ice package" guess what... leaf games STILL get blackedout in the ottawa area.......
    Scott - Golf...Fail.

Hall of Fame Hacker is on a distinguished road Hacker's Avatar
    I believe that this has more to do with the Sens right in this market and than it has to do with Rogers.

NFL Guru fundonny is on a distinguished road fundonny's Avatar
    Get a dish... LOL
    Donny Vantage NFL Guru, since 1974
    Money won is twice as sweet as money earned

Quote Originally Posted by fundonny View Post
    Get a dish... LOL
    Better yet, cheer for a "Real" team

Golf Canada Rules Official L4 LobWedge is on a distinguished road LobWedge's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Golfer_Gofer View Post
    Anyone else think its completly wrong for out of town Hockey games to get Blackedout on Rogers cable?

The main reason most of us pay for Cable is to watch programmes that are not local. I hate that when the leafs play on a wednesday night and everywhere else in the province they're showing the Leafs vs. Rangers on rogers sportsnet and I have to watch god womens body building instead!

I even have the digital package and have all the rogers sportsnet channels in 400s (east, west, ontario, etc.) and the games are blacked out from that as well. Even last week there was a western game blacked out.

There must be something us hockey fans can do to fight this ing blackout rule!...I know most of you Sens fans could careless as you get to watch your team everynight they play, but as a HOCKEY fan it would be nice to get to see the other games.... and I know someone will say "buy the centre ice package" guess what... leaf games STILL get blackedout in the ottawa area.......
    I know what you mean. Regional blackouts suck! There's no real justification for it whatsoever, no matter what the CRTC says. I'm tired of being told what I can and can't watch on TV.

I live in Ottawa, and I like living here a lot. But I'm a Leafs fan and I want to see all of their games. I'm certain that it's the same way for any Sens fans who live in Toronto or elsewhere. People shouldn't be forced to "put up" with the local team if they don't want to. As far as sattelite goes, you can't even get Leafs TV if you live in Ottawa, but you can get bit everywhere else. Retarded.
    When applying the Rules, you follow them line by line. You don't read between them.

Ya, its the samething on Rogers Digital cable.. I cant order leafsTV here but I could if I lived anywhere else in ontario that has either cogeco cable or rogers cable...
    Scott - Golf...Fail.

Competitor Hank Hill is on a distinguished road Hank Hill's Avatar
    Yeah, sucks I have videotron over here in Hull. I can watch all the different sportsnet channels all week when they are showing bowling and synchronised dog walking, but as soon as a hockey game is on any one except east it's blacked out. I for one would like to see Canucks/Flames and Oilers games even though i'm a Sens fan.

Must be Single dbleber is on a distinguished road dbleber's Avatar
    They do that so people will shell out the bucks for the NHL Network. It's all about money, not customer service.

I Just Won't Leave covanant is on a distinguished road covanant's Avatar
    I get all my Habs games on t.v
    [font=Impact]Dirty...Mean...And Mighty Unclean.[/font]

Forum Idiot Indio is on a distinguished road Indio's Avatar
    Gee, so now it is all Sens fans that are at fault because we could care less????

As a sens fan, I enjoy watching the Sens get their ass kicked lately just as much as I enjoy watching the leafs get theirs kicked as well! I'm a HOCKEY fan just as much as I am a Sens fan Scott, so don't blame the fans of the team you love to hate, blame the teams and the tv networks.....
    Proud member of the 2009 OG/TGN Ryder Cup Champions

Quote Originally Posted by covanant View Post
    I get all my Habs games on t.v

Quote Originally Posted by Indio View Post
    Gee, so now it is all Sens fans that are at fault because we could care less????

As a sens fan, I enjoy watching the Sens get their ass kicked lately just as much as I enjoy watching the leafs get theirs kicked as well! I'm a HOCKEY fan just as much as I am a Sens fan Scott, so don't blame the fans of the team you love to hate, blame the teams and the tv networks.....
    no no no no... i think u miss understood me... I mean sens fans could careless about the blackedout leaf games because you still get to watch your sens play....although i could see sens fans getting upset at cbc because the leaf game is usually centrestage for HNIC and the sens game might not get covered at all....

but dont get me wrong i hate all things sens GO LEAFS GO.. and so on
    Scott - Golf...Fail.

Golf Nut pvs1313 is on a distinguished road pvs1313's Avatar
    you should write letters of complaint to the Ottawa senators. It is not the CRTC, nor Rogers, or Bell etc, it is the Sens, they hold the righst to this area. that is why leafs Tv and leaf games on Sportsnet are not showed, has only to do with them.

Go Sens Go!! and Blow Leafs Blow!!

Wanna watch the Laughs, move to Toronto - quite simple actually

no no no no... i think u miss understood me... I mean sens fans could careless about the blackedout leaf games because you still get to watch your sens play....although i could see sens fans getting upset at cbc because the leaf game is usually centrestage for HNIC and the sens game might not get covered at all....

but dont get me wrong i hate all things sens GO LEAFS GO.. and so on

Fair enough GG, I must have misinterpreted your remark cause it did look like you were taking it out on 'us' and by the way.... that is one thing Sens fans and Leafs fans have in common, they both hate everything about each other's team and that will never change

Must be Single mberube is on a distinguished road mberube's Avatar
    This is what you should do. If you have family in TO, get an Expressvu package registered to their address and delivered there. Bring the kit home and install it in Ottawa. You will get all the TO channel but you will get build at the TO address. Pay your bill with your Internet bank account and bingo, you will get all the Leafs games. Not sure why you would want that but if you like pain and humiliation, more power to you.

My brother-in-law lives in NY and that’s what he does. He gets all the Habs games and Ottawa regional news.

Go Habs Go
    Mike
    Strive for perfection, but never expect it!

Quote Originally Posted by mberube View Post
    This is what you should do. If you have family in TO, get an Expressvu package registered to their address and delivered there. Bring the kit home and install it in Ottawa. You will get all the TO channel but you will get build at the TO address. Pay your bill with your Internet bank account and bingo, you will get all the Leafs games. Not sure why you would want that but if you like pain and humiliation, more power to you.

My brother-in-law lives in NY and that’s what he does. He gets all the Habs games and Ottawa regional news.

Go Habs Go
    Mike
    Thats border line genius!.... but one catch... I'd either have to make really good friends with the people who live accross the hall or physical turn my apartment building around...as sadly my apartment is on the wrong side of the building to get a satalite dish ... i'm forever stuck with rogers... until I move...
    Scott - Golf...Fail.

Major Poster Chambokl is on a distinguished road Chambokl's Avatar
    If you really need it. Just buy (in Ottawa) an extra receiver on your current account and your friend (in Toronto) buys an extra receiver on his account. You guys switch your receiver and you have the leafs game and he has the Sens game.

Also, if you are in the Leafs market, buy RDS (something like $3/month) you get lots of extra habs and sens game.

Good luck...

GolfPig of the Year 2006 Golfbum is on a distinguished road
    Quote Originally Posted by pvs1313 View Post
    you should write letters of complaint to the Ottawa senators. It is not the CRTC, nor Rogers, or Bell etc, it is the Sens, they hold the righst to this area. that is why leafs Tv and leaf games on Sportsnet are not showed, has only to do with them.
    It has nothing to do with the SENS. It has everything to do with the NHL marketing rights.
    I went through this issue about 5 years ago with Bell. My response was that the NHL tells Bell, or Rogers or whatever cable provider you have which games can be aired.
    I then went to the NHL and was given the same answer. They own the rights and they decide which games you watch.
    So you really can not blame the Sens,or any other NHL team when it comes to which games are televised.
    My opinions are my own, I do not follow others.

Hall of Fame jonf is on a distinguished road jonf's Avatar
    Why is it that instead of watching Sens-Avs tonight on TSN, I have to watch Tampa/Philly? I'm in friggin BC. Nobody in Canada wants to watch Tampa/Philly. We all get to watch the leafs lose to the avs, but we don't get to watch the sens beat them? Argh, I hate not being able to afford digital cable. And I hate TSN. ARGH. Sorry for the thread jack

"Richard"
    you can listen to the games on nhl.com for free...

I use that service on occasion to catch the end of a close game, but its just not the same. I can't yell at Spezza for making a bad pass without seeing just how bad it is.

Quote Originally Posted by jonf View Post
    Why is it that instead of watching Sens-Avs tonight on TSN, I have to watch Tampa/Philly? I'm in friggin BC. Nobody in Canada wants to watch Tampa/Philly. We all get to watch the leafs lose to the avs, but we don't get to watch the sens beat them? Argh, I hate not being able to afford digital cable. And I hate TSN. ARGH. Sorry for the thread jack

Once again, blame the NHL Marketing Guru's

You should have watched the NLCS Game 7, it was a beauty!

Quote Originally Posted by jonf View Post
    I use that service on occasion to catch the end of a close game, but its just not the same. I can't yell at Spezza for making a bad pass without seeing just how bad it is.
    Well if Spezza made it you just know how bad it really was! I have not seen many Sens games this year, is he really playing that badly? I read something about Murray and Spezza but Murray said Jason was not in his dog house!

Well, having not seen much of him this year, I couldn't tell you . But he's always been known for his ridiculous "no look behind the back spino-rama through the legs it will work one fo these days" passes. Every once in a while they end up in spectacular goals, but more often than not they're for the other team on the ensuing odd man rush.

Golf Nut pvs1313 is on a distinguished road pvs1313's Avatar
    no,

i can.

the nhl righhts are based on each team, in this market i can watch edmonton games, calgary games lots of philidephia games, but very few leaf games unless national, and next to no canadiens games unless on rds. the rights are granted by the nhl, but they are granrted at request of teams. the only rveson leafs tv is no available inottawa is due to the sens, no other reason. you get it everywhere else except ottawa region.

thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Golfbum View Post
    It has nothing to do with the SENS. It has everything to do with the NHL marketing rights.
    I went through this issue about 5 years ago with Bell. My response was that the NHL tells Bell, or Rogers or whatever cable provider you have which games can be aired.
    I then went to the NHL and was given the same answer. They own the rights and they decide which games you watch.
    So you really can not blame the Sens,or any other NHL team when it comes to which games are televised.

I am going to FLIP. TSN is only broadcasting the Sens/Leafs home and home series in the Leafs region. I don't know if you'll get local coverage in Ottawa, but I am getting NOTHING out here. TSN is definitely going to here about this . It's atrocious. I get to see the best team in the league play the worst (buffalo philly...what a great choice of game) over Ottawa Colorado, and now I don't get to watch the best rivalry in the league. THis is ridiculous.

Gotta Post 3Jack is on a distinguished road 3Jack's Avatar
    Both tonight's game and Thursday's game are on the A-Channel here (cable 6). For TSN, and for A-Channel for that matter, they're designated as regional broadcasts, and not as national (network wide on TSN for instance). Your only solution would be the Center Ice Package, which carries the regional feeds.
    www.chapeaunoirgolf.com

Thread Information