CorporateGolfXtra 2024
+ Reply to Thread
    Ty Webb

Question Practice or Play?

I would like some feedback. I have been told to improve my game, I should play 1 or 2 times to week. Others have told me that I should practice 3 times to every 1 playing session. I have been playing for 2 years and shoot in the 120s.

I have taken lessons but wish to apply what I have learned.

Ty

Getting Exemptions The Shtick is on a distinguished road The Shtick's Avatar

practice or play

To better your game, I suggest that you get out and play. The big difference is that during a game you are put in different kind of situations as opposed to just hitting the same shot over and over again on the range.

Personally, I like to go out for a nine hole game in the evening (when it's not too busy) and work on different kinds of shots (situations) to help better my game.

The range is good too..... but you cannot apply what you have learned there (ie. I broke 100 at the range today!)

Arrow shooter Chieflongtee is on a distinguished road Chieflongtee's Avatar

both

You can practice your putting everyday for 1/2 hour and this will help drop down your score considerably. You can do so just about anywhere. When on the course jot down what went wrong on that particular day and take it to the range. Next time out on the course bring a pad and break down your game i.e how many putts, how many drives in the fairway, how many chips etc.., This will tell all. Good luck.

Lob Wedge BPW is on a distinguished road

RE: Practice or Play

You must do both to improve. You must play the course to strengthen your mental side of the game. You also must go to the driving range to develop your muscle memory.

The biggest problem with going to the range is that most people do not know how to practice properly.

You should follow your on course preshot routine and never "never" just go to the range and pound balls. It is way more productive if you take the time and call the shot you plan to hit. Believe me it works, I have been doing this for the past 50 years and can't say enough about the benefits that can be achieved from a sound driving range practice routine. Remember you must use the range and the play the course to round out your entire game.

Also I cannot say enough about the importance of loads of work on the short game and putting.

Remember that more than 70% of all shots taken by the average golfer in a round of golf are 100 yards in...

Have fun........

Curious George
    Hey Ty,

A lot of people have been in that 120 boat. The first thing you should make sure (through lessons is best) is that your fundamentals are correct: grip, posture, alignment (shoulders, knees, etc.), weight transfer, release, etc. Try half swings, or 3/4 swings until you hit consistently. Always recheck everything regularly (our perceptions, unchecked, are deceiving). Do not learn one fault to balance out the other (a lot of people close their stances so that their over the top swings go straight, as an example).

Next, practice, practice, practice. On the range, I notice that the first club beginners grab is the driver, and barely touch their pitching iron. As repetitive as this advice is: practice pitching and putting, its 60% of the game, easily, and it will drastically reduce your score.

Second bit of advice, put the driver in the bag until you learn to hit it or the 3 wood straight. Use irons only off the tee: staying out of trouble will reduce your score.

And finally: the course is for fun; the practice range is for improving your technique. If you keep a positive and forgiving mindset on the course, you'll improve.

Hope this wasn't too preachy, but I remember the high score days.

Ty Webb
    I appreciate the advice/comments. My big problem is the transition from backswing to downswing. Too much hit impulse. Also having problems grasping the initial weightshift problem.

Any advice on these would also be appreciated.

TY

Curious George
    One: lessons. It saves years of frustration.

Two: close your stance completely, and swing normally for several shots: this forces you to learn balance and release.

Three: I used a weighted club for a while: it helped weight transfer and put it in the right swing path.

At the driving range: be very conscious of how much weight is on your back foot in the backswing, and how much is on your weight on your front foot on the follow through. Freeze at various points to judge.

The range should be for specific drills/activities to improve yourself. be conscious of what you are trying to learn. However, if your fundamentals are not correct, you are just hurting your game.

Thread Information