100 Holes of Hope
+ Reply to Thread
    Must be Single Txxxxxxx is on a distinguished road Txxxxxxx's Avatar

Cobra X-Speed and review

Just got my Cobra X-Speed delivered FedEx today. It's shafted with an Aldila NV-X "Speed Tuned" Stiff Flex, High Kick, 60g.

Has anyone hit one of these yet? I'm wondering what kind of trajectory I should expect out of the NV-X? I know I wasn't a huge fan of the NV in my R7. I hope this NV-X will be better.

I'm playing in a couple hours and will have all three drivers out to see which one will be number one in the bag.

1. Cobra X-Speed 10.5* w/Aldila NV-X Stiff
    2. Titleist 905T 9.5* w/ Graphite Design YS-6+ Stiff
    3. Bridgestone J33R 420 CC 9.5* w/ Accra SC75 M4.

Champion sharkhark is on a distinguished road sharkhark's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by EdmontonGolfer
    Just got my Cobra X-Speed delivered FedEx today. It's shafted with an Aldila NV-X "Speed Tuned" Stiff Flex, High Kick, 60g.

Has anyone hit one of these yet? I'm wondering what kind of trajectory I should expect out of the NV-X? I know I wasn't a huge fan of the NV in my R7. I hope this NV-X will be better.

I'm playing in a couple hours and will have all three drivers out to see which one will be number one in the bag.

1. Cobra X-Speed 10.5* w/Aldila NV-X Stiff
    2. Titleist 905T 9.5* w/ Graphite Design YS-6+ Stiff
    3. Bridgestone J33R 420 CC 9.5* w/ Accra SC75 M4.
    My cobra 460 SZ 10.5 was too high for me so I got an X Speed 8.5. Most people need help in the air, I don't.
    It has a 75 gram stiff aldila NV. It has a much better boring flight. Finally get good distance with a little roll. I am happy.
    "Chicks dig me, because I rarely wear underwear and when I do it's usually something unusual"

Quote Originally Posted by sharkhark
    My cobra 460 SZ 10.5 was too high for me so I got an X Speed 8.5. Most people need help in the air, I don't.
    It has a 75 gram stiff aldila NV. It has a much better boring flight. Finally get good distance with a little roll. I am happy.
    I'm interested in how this club will perform. I only picked one up because a lot of the guys at course said they tried them and they could hit the ball anywhere on the face and it felt great. I waggled it a bit back and forth and it seems as though the shaft has a bit of whip to it. We'll see how it goes on the course I guess. I've never used a 10.5 degree driver either so I'm wondering how that will work for or against me.

Cobra X-Speed Review

So today I played www.cougarcreekgolf.com. Slope is 140 and men's rating is 73.3.

I took two drivers with me a la Phil Mickelchoke, my 905T and Cobra X-Speed. First tee, hit the X-Speed and snap hook it OB to the left. I NEVER hook anything so this was a total surprise. I noticed that this club sets up a bit closed eventhough it's supposed to be square.

I figure I just pooched the swing so the next hole I tee it up again and smash it right down the middle. To my surprise, this Aldila NV-X is ridiculously low for trajectory. The club is a 10.5 degree and I was expecting it to launch higher than my 9.5 degree 905T, but it didn't.

The other VERY noticeable thing was the sound off this thing. It is ear piercing loud.

Anyway, I ended up shooting a one under 71 and using my 905T for most of the other tee shots just because it has an awesome feel and it works very well for me. For now the 905T is #1 in the bag and the X-Speed and J33R will be the backups unless I decide to sell either one of them.

Must be Single dbleber is on a distinguished road dbleber's Avatar
    The 905T is an awsome driver. If that shaft works for you then keep it but I'd get it reshafted with a shaft fitted for your swing. I noticed a huge performance improvement once I did that and the club felt completely different. Don't worry about the warranty thing and the hosel insert. Any professional club maker can do it with ease and they can buy replacement hosel inserts. Nothing to it. That Accra shaft you have in your J33 would be sweet!

Quote Originally Posted by dbleber
    The 905T is an awsome driver. If that shaft works for you then keep it but I'd get it reshafted with a shaft fitted for your swing. I noticed a huge performance improvement once I did that and the club felt completely different. Don't worry about the warranty thing and the hosel insert. Any professional club maker can do it with ease and they can buy replacement hosel inserts. Nothing to it. That Accra shaft you have in your J33 would be sweet!
    I'll just have to look for a clubmaker that is willing to do the work.

Who do you think would be best to go to for a shaft fitting? Do you think that the CPGA Pro at GT will be able to do it?

Must be Single dbleber is on a distinguished road dbleber's Avatar
    I'm sure they would and they do have all the fancy toys like launch monitors and such. If you can't find anyone to do the work in Edmonton and you like one of the custom shafts Titleist offers (such as the Accra SC series) then you can have GT send it to Titleist and they'll do the work for free, it won't void the warranty and they usually give you a little bit cheaper price on the shaft.

Thanks for the info. I'm on shift for 14 days and then I'll book a session with the Pro.

Stay tuned.

Golf Canada Rules Official L4 LobWedge is on a distinguished road LobWedge's Avatar
    Not a huge fan of the way the head looks at address, but that combination of shaft and the face sure make the ball jump.
    When applying the Rules, you follow them line by line. You don't read between them.

Driver overswing is on a distinguished road overswing's Avatar
    the ys-6 + you got in your 905t is a sick shaft. i play it in my 580xd and love it. got a deal from the guy and golf town and snagged it for 100 bucks regular 140.

Quote Originally Posted by overswing
    the ys-6 + you got in your 905t is a sick shaft. i play it in my 580xd and love it. got a deal from the guy and golf town and snagged it for 100 bucks regular 140.
    It depends on what trajectory you want. I'm not a fan of the higher trajectory shafts so this one might not be for me. We'll see after a few rounds. I'd love to have a Fujikura Vista Tour in there.

Thread Information