100 Holes of Hope
+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: In or out?

1dash1
    Quote Originally Posted by Maverick
    Since we ain't 100% sticky on the rules, I guess a good compromise would be to take a penatly stroke as if the ball went into an hazard
    Maverick:

Agreed. If one isn't playing by the book, then it really doesn't make any difference whether another rule is bent.

However, since it is a slippery slope, I encourage all golfers to play by the book.

(As to taking to Provisional Balls taking too much time: my personal opinion is that the failure to play Provisional Balls takes even more time - as players spend much more time looking for their impossible-to-find-original-ball.)

3 Wood Maverick is on a distinguished road
    Note that I said compromise, not perfect solution Maybe a better compromise would be to take a 2 strokes penalty, since under normal circumstance, you would have hit another one from the tee for your 3rd shot. Bleh, ill just stay in the fairway

England Golf Referee AAA is on a distinguished road
    Quote Originally Posted by Maverick
    Note that I said compromise, not perfect solution Maybe a better compromise would be to take a 2 strokes penalty, since under normal circumstance, you would have hit another one from the tee for your 3rd shot. Bleh, ill just stay in the fairway
    Yes, 2 strokes would be better - not best

Hall of Fame Hacker is on a distinguished road Hacker's Avatar
    My personal opinion is that you should always strive to play according to the letter of the rules....HOWEVER, there are certain circumstances where that is not always possible i.e. a weekend round at any popular golf course in the fall. How many times have you split the fairway with a drive only to get up to the where the ball should be only to discover that you can't find it because of all the fallen leaves on the fairway. Bear in mind that this is early fall and you're on a popular course where the marshalls are trying to keep the rounds to under 5 hours in length. You won't be walking back to too many tees to re-hit your drives before you are told by the Marshalls not to do this or before the group following you decides that you need an "adjustment" a la their driver.

I had this exact thing happen to me on a very popular wooded course here in Ottawa. It was early fall and it was quite a windy day so despite the course's efforts to blow the leaves off of the fairways, they couldn't keep ahead of Mother Nature. After 2 lost balls each my playing partner and I decided that if we agreed that the ball should have been findable i.e. we were both sure that it was on the fairway would would simply drop another ball where the original was thought to have been and play on. This was our own "Local Rule" that was in effect for us on that day. The only caveat was that we did not log the round against our handicap (for obvious reasons).

I guess what I'm really trying to say here is that Yes the rules of golf are in place to protect the game and the field if in a competition, but being a sticklier for the rules for people who are playing occassional rounds and who are not maintaining a handicap doesn't make a lot of sence to me so long as everyone in that particular group is playing by the same set of rules. Also, don't overlook the fact that there are some courses that really frown on "hackers" slowing everyone down just so they can card a legit 116.

My 2 cents

Birdie g8r is on a distinguished road
    never mind...shoulda read next topic first.....

Thread Information