CorporateGolfXtra 2024

Threaded View

Nationwide Player Mr. Chi is on a distinguished road Mr. Chi's Avatar

Ballooning irons - high, straight & short

Hoping someone has some suggestions I could try at the range

For the last few seasons, I've been struggling with my irons. I've been hitting my irons, particularly my short irons & wedges, high, straight & quite short. For example, I was hitting my PW around 110-115 prior to these issues, but I'm now hitting it around 90-95yrds.

This has been happening since my last swing change a few years ago. I now use a "consistent" ball position, more ahead in my stance - and a slightly more upright swing. Been reading to Nicklaus & Norman material. The change has given me confidence with woods off the deck at least.

I used to have a flatter swing and would move my ball position back as I used high lofted clubs. I tried going back to that a little at the range, but it doesn't feel comfortable now and was fighting both topped & fat shots. I was just wondering if anyone else with a Greg Norman-like swing & tempo has any suggestions (besides lessons suggestions please )

Now.....my average scores have improved since I'm hitting my irons straight & on target. But hitting 8-iron from 100 yards and hoping it makes it to the green doesn't do much for confidence (Neither would hitting a 7-iron from 100yrds). 5-iron from 150 is also unnerving...

(Opps....meant to put this in the instruction section)
    Last edited by Mr. Chi; 06-19-2013 at 02:33 PM. Reason: Opps...wrong section?
    "Be happy, but never satisfied." – Bruce Lee

Thread Information