CorporateGolfXtra 2024

View Poll Results: How many points will Crosby score his rookie season?

Voters
20. You may not vote on this poll
  • Les then 40?

1 5.00%
  • 41 to 50?

4 20.00%
  • 51 to 60?

5 25.00%
  • 61 to 70?

2 10.00%
  • 71 or more?

8 40.00%
+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3
    Getting Exemptions The Shtick is on a distinguished road The Shtick's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by broken27
    They're probably negotiating with Pavel Bure as we speak!.
    They could package up Bure and let's say.... Mark Messier!! Hell, bring back Brett Lindros just for fun! Ferguson is my hero!!!

Moderator Big Johnny69 is on a distinguished road Big Johnny69's Avatar
    Forever stuck between single digit and trunk slammer!
    As for NA players dominating in Russia, from what I gather most of the quality players went to play in the European Elite league because the money was better there than in the Russian league. I never looked at stats but from what I heard at the worlds most of the NA players faired quite well playing in Europe. And as for biases towards styles of hockey, everyone is entitled to their opinion. I personally prefer NA style hockey as well over European. We can all see you prefer European hockey and with your European heritage I don't blame you. I am a true blooded Canadian (all family members born and raised here) and unless our hockey programs suddenly become doormats for the rest of the world, I will always prefer NA (especially Canadian) hockey.
    "A life lived in fear of the new and the untried is not a life lived to its fullest." M.Pare 10/09/08

Hopelessly Addicted broken27 is on a distinguished road broken27's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Geoff Johnston
    As for NA players dominating in Russia, from what I gather most of the quality players went to play in the European Elite league because the money was better there than in the Russian league.
    This couldn't be farther from the truth... RSL is paying more money NET (it's all tax free) to average players than any league in the world (avg salary of around $1.4M). European leagues pay a fraction of that.

Here's a list of the players who played in Russia during the lockout (Canadians bolded). Note that none of them accomplished much of anything, and I think Richards was actually CUT by AK BARS KAZAN:
    RUSSIA
    Player: League: Team:
    Antropov, Nikolai RUSSIAN SUPER LEAGUE AK BARS KAZAN
    Arkhipov, Denis RUSSIAN SUPER LEAGUE AK BARS KAZAN
    Brathwaite, Fred RUSSIAN SUPER LEAGUE AK BARS KAZAN
    Heatley, Dany RUSSIAN SUPER LEAGUE AK BARS KAZAN
    Kasparaitis, Darius RUSSIAN SUPER LEAGUE AK BARS KAZAN
    Khabibulin, Nikolai RUSSIAN SUPER LEAGUE AK BARS KAZAN
    Kovalchuk, Ilya RUSSIAN SUPER LEAGUE AK BARS KAZAN
    Kovalev, Alex RUSSIAN SUPER LEAGUE AK BARS KAZAN
    Lecavalier, Vincent RUSSIAN SUPER LEAGUE AK BARS KAZAN
    Morozov, Aleksey RUSSIAN SUPER LEAGUE AK BARS KAZAN
    Richards, Brad RUSSIAN SUPER LEAGUE AK BARS KAZAN
    Salei, Ruslan RUSSIAN SUPER LEAGUE AK BARS KAZAN
    Zhitnik, Alexei RUSSIAN SUPER LEAGUE AK BARS KAZAN
    Zinovjev, Sergei RUSSIAN SUPER LEAGUE AK BARS KAZAN
    Frolov, Alexander RUSSIAN SUPER LEAGUE CSKA MOSCOW
    Kvasha, Oleg RUSSIAN SUPER LEAGUE CSKA MOSCOW
    Nikolishin, Andrei RUSSIAN SUPER LEAGUE CSKA MOSCOW
    Saprykin, Oleg RUSSIAN SUPER LEAGUE CSKA MOSCOW
    Strbak, Martin RUSSIAN SUPER LEAGUE CSKA MOSCOW
    Zherdev, Nikolai RUSSIAN SUPER LEAGUE CSKA MOSCOW
    Afinogenov, Maxim RUSSIAN SUPER LEAGUE DYNAMO MOSCOW
    Chubarov, Artem RUSSIAN SUPER LEAGUE DYNAMO MOSCOW
    Datsyuk, Pavel RUSSIAN SUPER LEAGUE DYNAMO MOSCOW
    Markov, Andrei RUSSIAN SUPER LEAGUE DYNAMO MOSCOW
    Rosa, Pavel RUSSIAN SUPER LEAGUE DYNAMO MOSCOW
    Samsonov, Sergei RUSSIAN SUPER LEAGUE DYNAMO MOSCOW
    Allen, Bryan RUSSIAN SUPER LEAGUE KHIMIK VOSKRESENSK
    Brylin, Sergei RUSSIAN SUPER LEAGUE KHIMIK VOSKRESENSK
    Kozlov, Vyacheslav RUSSIAN SUPER LEAGUE KHIMIK VOSKRESENSK
    Legace, Manny RUSSIAN SUPER LEAGUE KHIMIK VOSKRESENSK
    Piros, Kamil RUSSIAN SUPER LEAGUE KHIMIK VOSKRESENSK
    Ponikarovsky, Alexei RUSSIAN SUPER LEAGUE KHIMIK VOSKRESENSK
    Vishnevski, Vitali RUSSIAN SUPER LEAGUE KHIMIK VOSKRESENSK
    Afanasenkov, Dimitri RUSSIAN SUPER LEAGUE LADA TOGLIATTI
    Kondratiev, Max RUSSIAN SUPER LEAGUE LADA TOGLIATTI
    Kozlov, Viktor RUSSIAN SUPER LEAGUE LADA TOGLIATTI
    Markkanen, Jussi RUSSIAN SUPER LEAGUE LADA TOGLIATTI
    Novoseltsev, Ivan RUSSIAN SUPER LEAGUE LADA TOGLIATTI
    Semin, Alexander RUSSIAN SUPER LEAGUE LADA TOGLIATTI
    Zubrus, Dainius RUSSIAN SUPER LEAGUE LADA TOGLIATTI
    Korolev, Igor RUSSIAN SUPER LEAGUE LOKOMOTIV YAROSLAVL
    Lamothe, Marc D. RUSSIAN SUPER LEAGUE LOKOMOTIV YAROSLAVL
    Rachunek, Karel RUSSIAN SUPER LEAGUE LOKOMOTIV YAROSLAVL
    Safronov, Kirill RUSSIAN SUPER LEAGUE LOKOMOTIV YAROSLAVL
    Schastlivy, Petr RUSSIAN SUPER LEAGUE LOKOMOTIV YAROSLAVL
    Shvidki, Denis RUSSIAN SUPER LEAGUE LOKOMOTIV YAROSLAVL
    Yashin, Alexei RUSSIAN SUPER LEAGUE LOKOMOTIV YAROSLAVL
    Nabokov, Evgeni (John) RUSSIAN SUPER LEAGUE METALLURG NOVOKUZNETSK
    Nazarov, Andrei RUSSIAN SUPER LEAGUE METALLURG NOVOKUZNETSK
    Elias, Patrik RUSSIAN SUPER LEAGUE METTALURG MAGNITOGORSK
    Fedorov, Fedor RUSSIAN SUPER LEAGUE METTALURG MAGNITOGORSK
    Gonchar, Sergei RUSSIAN SUPER LEAGUE METTALURG MAGNITOGORSK
    Kalinin, Dimitri RUSSIAN SUPER LEAGUE METTALURG MAGNITOGORSK
    Sykora, Petr RUSSIAN SUPER LEAGUE METTALURG MAGNITOGORSK
    Bednar, Jaroslav RUSSIAN SUPER LEAGUE OMSK AVANGARD
    Jagr, Jaromir RUSSIAN SUPER LEAGUE OMSK AVANGARD
    Koltsov, Kirill RUSSIAN SUPER LEAGUE OMSK AVANGARD
    Zyuzin, Andrei RUSSIAN SUPER LEAGUE SEVERSTAL CHEREPOVETS
    Skrastins, Karlis RUSSIAN SUPER LEAGUE SIBIR NOVOSIBIRSK
    Varlamov, Sergei RUSSIAN SUPER LEAGUE SIBIR NOVOSIBIRSK
    Kuznetsov, Maxim RUSSIAN SUPER LEAGUE SKA ST. PETERSBURG
    Nylander, Michael RUSSIAN SUPER LEAGUE SKA ST. PETERSBURG
    Semenov, Alexei RUSSIAN SUPER LEAGUE SKA ST. PETERSBURG
    Tyutin, Fedor RUSSIAN SUPER LEAGUE SKA ST. PETERSBURG
    Fedorov, Sergei SECOND DIVISION Spartak Moscow
    Koltsov, Konstantin SECOND DIVISION Spartak Moscow
    Karpovtsev, Alexander SECOND DIVISION Vityaz Chekhov
    Korolyuk, Alexander SECOND DIVISION Vityaz Chekhov
    Markov, Daniil SECOND DIVISION Vityaz Chekhov
    Zhamnov, Alexei SECOND DIVISION Vityaz Chekhov
    [URL=http://www.sportsfiend.ca/]Sportsfiend.ca - Make You Opinion Into News...

Heatly had an eye injury which limited him if I am correct. And as for Richards and Lecavalier, well that is only two other players. And if they didn't accomplish anything so be it. But look at how many played in Switzerland, Sweden, Finland and any other country. I don't have numbers so I am not going to speculate but I'm pretty sure more than 3 impact players played in each of the leagues I mentioned. And once again if I am not mistaken both Thornton and Nash had outstanding seasons regardless of where they played. I will do some leg work to back up my claims but this is just off the top of my head. Don't want to say anything to outrageous without proof to back it up.
    "A life lived in fear of the new and the untried is not a life lived to its fullest." M.Pare 10/09/08

Quote Originally Posted by Geoff Johnston
    Heatly had an eye injury which limited him if I am correct. And as for Richards and Lecavalier, well that is only two other players. And if they didn't accomplish anything so be it. But look at how many played in Switzerland, Sweden, Finland and any other country. I don't have numbers so I am not going to speculate but I'm pretty sure more than 3 impact players played in each of the leagues I mentioned. And once again if I am not mistaken both Thornton and Nash had outstanding seasons regardless of where they played. I will do some leg work to back up my claims but this is just off the top of my head. Don't want to say anything to outrageous without proof to back it up.
    Thornton and Nash had what I would term decent seasons in the SWISS LEAGUE.

Thornton:
    40gp 10g 44a 54pts 80pim

Nash:
    44gp 27g 20a 47pts 83pim

That's a league that is on par with the ECHL. It is improving it's standing overall in the world, and because of certain tax treaties is more apt to attract certain players.

Believe me, I've done my research on this. On bigger ice, a large number of impact players who play the hard-nosed style common to North American hockey find themselves negated because they can't hit what they can't catch.

Not to suggest that they are useless, but you're talking about two of the premier players in the NHL and they really weren't overly impressive.

Anyways, I'm going to enjoy the new rules. Hopefully they have the desired impact and take guys like Farce-E Tucker out of the game completely.

Cheers,
    Dan

Caddy powerlefty is on a distinguished road

Wink

This couldn't be farther from the truth... RSL is paying more money NET (it's all tax free) to average players than any league in the world (avg salary of around $1.4M). European leagues pay a fraction of that.

Here's a list of the players who played in Russia during the lockout (Canadians bolded). Note that none of them accomplished much of anything, and I think Richards was actually CUT by AK BARS KAZAN:
    Dan,

Your statement is way off base on Richards, unless your reference to "CUT" is to the surgical kind ...

From ESPN.com
    Tampa Bay Lightning playoff MVP Brad Richards had surgery Wednesday to repair a tear in his abdominal wall and will be out at least six weeks, the St. Petersburg Times reported Friday.

Richards

Even if the NHL lockout is resolved by Feb. 1, that still puts Richards out until at least mid-March.

"I feel pretty lousy," Richards said Thursday in a telephone interview. "It just kept getting worse and worse. I knew that if tried to play with it, I would only be playing at half-speed for fear of it getting worse. I figured it was just best to go ahead and have it now."

While playing in Russia during the lockout, Richards noticed a dull pain in his hip and lower abdomen. The pain became severe enough that he had trouble lifting his leg and it forced him to return to North America on Dec. 16. Originally diagnosed as having a sports hernia (a weakness in the abdominal wall), Richards rested the past month, but the pain did not go away.

"The thinking was to have the surgery now rather than having Brad try to play at 50 percent or whatever and it eventually breaking down," Richards' agent Pat Morris said. "We didn't want it to get worse and then have him pull out in mid March and be lost for the playoffs, if there are playoffs this year."

[QUOTE=broken27]Thornton and Nash had what I would term decent seasons in the SWISS LEAGUE.

Thornton:
    40gp 10g 44a 54pts 80pim

Nash:
    44gp 27g 20a 47pts 83pim

27 goals in 44 games.. regardless of level of competition (it is still pro hockey, and NHL only upped the level of play) I would say was a great season. Guys only score about 45 goals in an 82 game season so goals/game ratio is still very comparable.

And 54 points in 40 games is a great season to me as well. St. Louis led the league with 94 (may be off by a point or two) over an 82 game season. Do the math, points/game ratio is very similar as well.

I too am hoping the new rules work that way as well. Hopefully more skilled players will be making impacts and less of those hanger-ons will be getting the ice time.

Must be Single mberube is on a distinguished road mberube's Avatar
    The fact is that Canada and Russia have been dominating world hockey from the beginning except for a few hiccups here and there. Both are excellent hockey nations. Who is the best? Opinions will very. My Opinion is that it depends on the year. The skill level is so high that you can flip a coin to see who will win.

I personally love to watch both nations go at it in national tournaments. To me it’s the most exiting hockey to watch.

As for Canadian player not performing in Europe, well a lot of Russian players don’t do squat in our arenas. The fact is that it is two different games all together. All I know is that Canadian teams in world class tournaments dominate more often then not.

Can’t wait for the Olympics.

Go Canada Go!!!
    Strive for perfection, but never expect it!

Quote Originally Posted by mberube
    As for Canadian player not performing in Europe, well a lot of Russian players don’t do squat in our arenas. The fact is that it is two different games all together. All I know is that Canadian teams in world class tournaments dominate more often then not.

Can’t wait for the Olympics.

Go Canada Go!!!
    Personally the Olympics (with NHLers or without) have always been my favourite brand of hockey.

I agree that hugely talented Russians (Swedes, Czechs, Finns, et al) are shutdown in the North American game. Just ask Pavel Brendl, Dainius Zubrus, or Alexandre Volchkov. But as I have stated repeatedly, I prefer European hockey, on the big ice, with less hitting (although it's getting rougher over there).

Hockey is meant to be a fast game, not this BS clutch-grab-slash stuff. The slashing is more of a Finnish thing, although that clip of Ryan Smyth at the World Championships was pretty classic...

Cheers,
    Dan

Must be Single mberube is on a distinguished road mberube's Avatar
    Personally the Olympics (with NHLers or without) have always been my favourite brand of hockey.

Cheers,
    Dan
    And World Juniors.
    Strive for perfection, but never expect it!

Yeah, I realized that after posting it. Someone was cut (now I can't remember who) and sent packing... At any rate, there's no arguing with the stats.

Regardless, I am humbled to be corrected on this. *Applauds*

Dan
    Quote Originally Posted by powerlefty
    Dan,

Your statement is way off base on Richards, unless your reference to "CUT" is to the surgical kind ...

From ESPN.com
    Tampa Bay Lightning playoff MVP Brad Richards had surgery Wednesday to repair a tear in his abdominal wall and will be out at least six weeks, the St. Petersburg Times reported Friday.

Richards

Even if the NHL lockout is resolved by Feb. 1, that still puts Richards out until at least mid-March.

"I feel pretty lousy," Richards said Thursday in a telephone interview. "It just kept getting worse and worse. I knew that if tried to play with it, I would only be playing at half-speed for fear of it getting worse. I figured it was just best to go ahead and have it now."

While playing in Russia during the lockout, Richards noticed a dull pain in his hip and lower abdomen. The pain became severe enough that he had trouble lifting his leg and it forced him to return to North America on Dec. 16. Originally diagnosed as having a sports hernia (a weakness in the abdominal wall), Richards rested the past month, but the pain did not go away.

"The thinking was to have the surgery now rather than having Brad try to play at 50 percent or whatever and it eventually breaking down," Richards' agent Pat Morris said. "We didn't want it to get worse and then have him pull out in mid March and be lost for the playoffs, if there are playoffs this year."

Caddy powerlefty is on a distinguished road
    Yeah, I realized that after posting it. Someone was cut (now I can't remember who) and sent packing... At any rate, there's no arguing with the stats.

Regardless, I am humbled to be corrected on this. *Applauds*

Dan

I think Brian McCabe was cut from, I think, a Swedish team.

Quote Originally Posted by powerlefty
    I think Brian McCabe was cut from, I think, a Swedish team.
    That may well be... But I am positive someone was cut from either AK Bars or CSKA Red Army in the Russian league... Oh well, no matter. None of those guys will be over in Russia this season (except for marginal veterans like John Leclair perhaps).

Cheers,
    Dan

Thread Information