CorporateGolfXtra 2024
+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Balls

Ty Webb

Balls

I started playing about 5 years ago I guess and have typically bought used golf balls. The new balls aren't that much more and seem to fly better. Can somebody point me to an article that recommends specific balls for specific handicappers? I read something in GD a few years back but lost the article. (I am a 25 handicap).

Thanks

Ty

Moderator Big Johnny69 is on a distinguished road Big Johnny69's Avatar
    Forever stuck between single digit and trunk slammer!
    Ty, there was a site called golfballcomparison.com which compared distance, spin, durability etc, etc. Very good site and informative. Not sure if it is still around though. But for a 25 handicap, some can back me up or offer other advice, you should be looking at 2 piece balls (to reduce sidespin). Some good balls are the Noodle, Loco, PWR Drive, Top Flite XL 2000 or 3000. Balls along those lines. Hope this helps.

Hall of Fame spackler is on a distinguished road spackler's Avatar
    Try also http://www.golfballtest.com/

Not that comprehensive, but thorough on the balls it does test. Also http://www.golfreview.com gives user ratings on individual balls.

Moderator Big Johnny69 is on a distinguished road Big Johnny69's Avatar
    Forever stuck between single digit and trunk slammer!
    My bad, correction, the site spackler posted is the one I was trying to refer to. Thanks for setting me straight spackler.

Hall of Fame jvincent is on a distinguished road jvincent's Avatar
    Unfortunately, choice of golf ball is somewhat of a personal thing.

Me for example, I hate the ProV1. It spins way too much for me off of full shots. Other people swear by them, although a lot of that may be hype.

My best advice, pick up a few sleeves of balls in your price range, and play with them until you find one you like and then stick with it.

Once you play a single type of ball you will get used to the way it behaves on chips, full shots, etc. and your scores will improve. Switching from ball to ball on different holes will mess you up.

GolfPig of the Year 2006 Golfbum is on a distinguished road
    Quote Originally Posted by jvincent
    Unfortunately, choice of golf ball is somewhat of a personal thing.

Me for example, I hate the ProV1. It spins way too much for me off of full shots. Other people swear by them, although a lot of that may be hype.

My best advice, pick up a few sleeves of balls in your price range, and play with them until you find one you like and then stick with it.

Once you play a single type of ball you will get used to the way it behaves on chips, full shots, etc. and your scores will improve. Switching from ball to ball on different holes will mess you up.

Excellent advise. Like the man said, buy a few sleeves in your price range. Play an entire round with one brand. Play the next round with the next brand. See which ball you prefer the feel of, the distance etc etc. Then stick to that ball. As he said your scores will improve because you will know how the ball will react. Good Luck and have fun
    My opinions are my own, I do not follow others.

Thread Information