CorporateGolfXtra 2023
+ Reply to Thread
    Founder Kilroy is on a distinguished road Kilroy's Avatar

Lightning strike

Here are some pictures of the 18th hole at Kingswood Golf Club. Lasalle MB south west of Winnipeg.
    The pin was struck by lightning during the storm last weekend. Take cover when lightning is near. The golf course will always be there tomorrow.

King Hawk Sphere Hunter is on a distinguished road Sphere Hunter's Avatar
    Wow.

Caddy beefstuf is on a distinguished road beefstuf's Avatar
    Wow, that is incredible.

Must be Single 1972Apex is on a distinguished road 1972Apex's Avatar
    A friend of mine plays that course and took that pic.
    According to him God used a one iron to make that shot.

Hopelessly Addicted fireice is on a distinguished road fireice's Avatar
    Amazing pics, they get some crazy lightning storms in MB.

Sand Wedge charronja is on a distinguished road
    Dan, amazing photos. I saw a girl get hit by lightning on the course once. It hit the ground about 30 feet away, maybe a bit closer, travelled through the ground and sent her flying (literally) about 20 feet. She lived, but it was quite a shock.

www.charrongolf.com

Hopelessly Addicted Shivas Irons is on a distinguished road Shivas Irons's Avatar
    This may seem like a dumb question, but what is the best action to take if you get caught in a storm on the course. Drop the umbrella & clubs & head for low ground?

Hall of Fame NoBack is on a distinguished road NoBack's Avatar
    wow for sure
    I've spent most of my life golfing .... the rest I've just wasted"
    www.nationalcapitalgolftour.com

Hopelessly Addicted broken27 is on a distinguished road broken27's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Shivas Irons
    This may seem like a dumb question, but what is the best action to take if you get caught in a storm on the course. Drop the umbrella & clubs & head for low ground?
    Apparently the answer isn't "tend the nearest flag"!!!!!

Dan
    [URL=http://www.sportsfiend.ca/]Sportsfiend.ca - Make You Opinion Into News...

Pitching Wedge dpanco is on a distinguished road
    Thanks for the pics, very enlightening (no pun intended). To answer a question up top regarding what to do if lightning begins to strike when you're on the track, if you have a cart, I suggest getting in it and heading to the clubhouse for a reprieve. Relatively speaking, the cart will provide the best protection

I'm glad this issue was tabled. Many players, my friends included, take these storms with a grain of salt. Retief Goosen was struck by lightning in his amateur days after the lightning was thought to have cleared and play was allowed to resume. He was struck so severely, he's lucky to be alive let alone living to be become the PGA giant he is today.

So, long story short, along with Dan's warning's, I suggest heading to the clubhouse during such weather. Even after the lightning passes - give it another pint before heading back out!
    My two cents anyways.

Hopelessly Addicted Shivas Irons is on a distinguished road Shivas Irons's Avatar
    From lightningsafety.com - some U.S. lightning stats...apparently men conduct electricity much better than women...

1. Location of Incident:
    40% Unreported.
    27% Open fields & recreation areas (not golf).
    14% Under trees (not golf).
    8% Water-related (boating, fishing, swimming…).
    5% Golf/golf under trees.
    3% Heavy equipment and machinery-related.
    2.4% Telephone-related.
    0.7% Radio, transmitter & antenna-related.

2. Gender of victims = 84% male; 16% female.

3. Months of most incidents = June 21%, July 30%, Aug 22%.

4. Days of week of most incidents = Sun./Wed./Sat.

5. Time of day of most incidents = 2 PM to 6 PM.

6. Number of victims = One (91%), two or more (9%).

7. Deaths by State, Top Five = FL, MI, TX, NY, TN.

8. Injuries by State, Top Five = FL, MI, PA, NC, NY.

GolfPig of the Year 2006 Golfbum is on a distinguished road
    Quote Originally Posted by Shivas Irons
    I was told to get away from your clubs, trees, shrubs etc. If there is a low spot near you then lay down in it. I know we all think that this will get our clothing dirty, but it is not better to be alive with dirty clothes or dead with freshly charred ones?

Hopefully your Pro Shop watches the weather when storms are brewing and sounds the horn to clear the course.

That happened last week at our course and some dumb asses stayed out there in the pounding rain with lightning flashing. Must have been their first time on a course. Most courses will glady refund you for 9 holes at the least if weather cuts your round short.

Get off the course ASAP is the safest and smartest thing to do.
    My opinions are my own, I do not follow others.

Postmaster General The Saint is on a distinguished road The Saint's Avatar
    "This may seem like a dumb question, but what is the best action to take if you get caught in a storm on the course. Drop the umbrella & clubs & head for low ground?"

Some people are like Slinkies... they're really good for nothing, ... but they still bring a smile to your face when you push them down a flight of stairs...

Major Poster EDSGOLF is on a distinguished road
    I never mess with lightening, soooooooooooo not worth it!
    http://www.EatDrinkSleepGolf.com
    Myrtle Beach Golf

3 Wood THUNDAH is on a distinguished road
    Got hit last year. Killed instantly but was given CPR by three quick thinkers. Bolt hit my umbrella went through my body and burned holes in my shoes. Umbrella was nylon with a graphite shaft. The only metal part was the spring that opens the canopy. I'm sure the umbrella lessened the charge. I don't remember a thing from the moment I was hit to about 12 hours later. Did not feel a thing.

I'm a regular Andy4Par is on a distinguished road Andy4Par's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by THUNDAH
    Got hit last year. Killed instantly but was given CPR by three quick thinkers. Bolt hit my umbrella went through my body and burned holes in my shoes. Umbrella was nylon with a graphite shaft. The only metal part was the spring that opens the canopy. I'm sure the umbrella lessened the charge. I don't remember a thing from the moment I was hit to about 12 hours later. Did not feel a thing.

WOW!

Barnie
    Are you kidding? That's the craziest story I've ever heard on this board. At least you have a sense of humour about it with your name being Thundah.

We all live on borrowed time, I'm on bonus time . When events like this happen, you tend to see the lighter side of things. 'cept for the people who insist on blocking the left lane! Get out of the way, I have a (second) life to live!

HOLY SH*IT BATMAN!!

Were you golfing when this happened?

HOLY SH*IT BATMAN!!
    Shivas when you use an asterisk to hide a letter don't put the letter in afterwards!

It was the season closing members tournament. Overcast, warm for early October, no wind. Started on the back nine, played it even par (best ever). Crossover to the front nine, double bogey on the first hole ( few rain drops), par the next (rain stops, wind freshens), bogey the third ( heading into the breeze, distant rumbling), par the fourth (wind is really picking up) . Hit tee shot on the fifth (down wind), head for the ladies tee 100 yards away, (flash, loud bang ) That one was close, wife says " I'm heading in", I agree, we'll pick up our balls on the way to the clubhouse. Horn from the clubhouse goes off 3 times. Never reached my ball, regained consciousness in ICU 12 hours later. I was the tallest of our group and we were on the highest point of the course.

YIKES!
    From now on I'll make sure there's someone taller than myself in our foursome.

BTW using a * in the middle of a word is for fooling filters, not for protecting your sensibilities.

I guess the lesson is to head in well before the storm is close.

Arrow shooter Chieflongtee is on a distinguished road Chieflongtee's Avatar
    HOLY SH*IT BATMAN!!
    Shivas when you use an asterisk to hide a letter don't put the letter in afterwards!

It was the season closing members tournament. Overcast, warm for early October, no wind. Started on the back nine, played it even par (best ever). Crossover to the front nine, double bogey on the first hole ( few rain drops), par the next (rain stops, wind freshens), bogey the third ( heading into the breeze, distant rumbling), par the fourth (wind is really picking up) . Hit tee shot on the fifth (down wind), head for the ladies tee 100 yards away, (flash, loud bang ) That one was close, wife says " I'm heading in", I agree, we'll pick up our balls on the way to the clubhouse. Horn from the clubhouse goes off 3 times. Never reached my ball, regained consciousness in ICU 12 hours later. I was the tallest of our group and we were on the highest point of the course.
    Wereyou the one from the Kingsway?
    http://forum.ottawagolf.com/showthread.php?t=5844

You must be a heck of a Clue game player.

Thread Information