CorporateGolfXtra 2024
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Too much tiger!

4 Iron wantobegolfer is on a distinguished road wantobegolfer's Avatar

Too much tiger!

Is it just me or are you guys tired of the coverage Tiger is getting, it was all about Tiger, what he did yesterday, what he did the hole before, what he had for breakfast, what color underwear he had on...blah, blah, blah...what about the rest of the great players? Dont get me wrong, I'm the first to admit that Tiger is one of the best golfers to ever play the game, but tired of this media adulation over Tiger.

Founder Kilroy is on a distinguished road Kilroy's Avatar
    That, and every other thread... including this one...

Championship Cup Eldred is on a distinguished road Eldred's Avatar
    ...just like when people talk about the Beatles, they talk about the "Big Two". Poor Ringo doesn't even get a spot light during a drum solo

Getting Exemptions The Shtick is on a distinguished road The Shtick's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Dan Kilbank
    That, and every other thread... including this one...
    Dan, you have to start locking some of these threads........

3 Wood wopstergolf is on a distinguished road wopstergolf's Avatar
    Tiger = TV Ratings = MONEY

The reason that these guys make as much as they do is TIGER. maybe true golf fans want to see others, but the everyday person who might just be flicking through the channels will see Tiger and maybe watch for a few minutes.

6 Iron Gopherhomes is on a distinguished road
    First off, his front nine coverage was sporatic at best but on the back nine, he was the only one in the top 10 making a charge. Personally, Id rather see powergolf with tons of birdies and eagles than Vijay blast it 300+ off the tee and then shoot it at the middle of the green. Also, did you notice when Hart, Allenby, and DiMarco made they charges, they received due coverage. Personally, i think this was one off there better all around final round coverages.

Amateur Golfpeasant is on a distinguished road
    Quote Originally Posted by Eldred
    ...just like when people talk about the Beatles, they talk about the "Big Two". Poor Ringo doesn't even get a spot light during a drum solo
    People are still talking about the Beatles?

Yah, yah yah!

Quote Originally Posted by Golfpeasant
    People are still talking about the Beatles?
    Every time I visit Aunt May's bridge club...

Birdie flagolfnut is on a distinguished road
    Quote Originally Posted by wantobegolfer
    Is it just me or are you guys tired of the coverage Tiger is getting, it was all about Tiger, what he did yesterday, what he did the hole before, what he had for breakfast, what color underwear he had on...blah, blah, blah...what about the rest of the great players? Dont get me wrong, I'm the first to admit that Tiger is one of the best golfers to ever play the game, but tired of this media adulation over Tiger.
    No I don't think they are covering Tiger too much, not any more than they have been since he joined the Tour. It's like asking "did they cover Michael Jordan too much" or do they cover Sidney Crosby too much. They cover the best players, that's all, and why the hell not he is the best and most entertaining golfer to watch in my opinion.

Hall of Fame NoBack is on a distinguished road NoBack's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by flagolfnut
    why the hell not he is the best and most entertaining golfer to watch in my opinion.
    Because he's a big baby, because when he's not playing great golf, we still see ALL his hacks, because when he's not on his game he swears like a saylor, because he throws his clubs when he doesnt hit EVERY SINGLE shot to within 6 inches of the cup, because he now apparently kicks bags when he's not playing well. (which is all no good for the kids to see and try and duplicate).
    I guess I should stop there. But then again you did ask why the hell not.
    I've spent most of my life golfing .... the rest I've just wasted"
    www.nationalcapitalgolftour.com

3 Wood wopstergolf is on a distinguished road wopstergolf's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Steve Karam
    Because he's a big baby, because when he's not playing great golf, we still see ALL his hacks, because when he's not on his game he swears like a saylor, because he throws his clubs when he doesnt hit EVERY SINGLE shot to within 6 inches of the cup, because he now apparently kicks bags when he's not playing well. (which is all no good for the kids to see and try and duplicate).
    I guess I should stop there. But then again you did ask why the hell not.
    I have to completely agree with you there, he sets a horrible example for children. I don't have kids, but my 10 year old brother used to watch with me, and you kind of get embarrassed when he does things like that, and I guess I can really only talk about the swearing and firing a club into the ground and kicking a bag.

I can't recall ever seeing Phil Mickelson do that, even to my knowledge (which i'm sure will be corrected) I can't remember seeing Sergio, who is regarded as one of the hot tempered players, kicking golf bags and at least never swearing in english

Fairway Junkie sharkshooter is on a distinguished road sharkshooter's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Dan Kilbank
    Yah, yah yah!
    Shouldn't that be ...

Naaaah, Nah, Nah, Na, Na, Na, Na

Caddy beefstuf is on a distinguished road beefstuf's Avatar
    I hate these threads. Tiger is a professional athlete. When Ron Hextal threw his stick no one scrutinized him. He was still a professional athlete that "had a lot of intensity". Tiger has never said he was a gentle person, he has never said that he was a gentleman. He says "I can hit the ball in the hole quicker then most players". He is a fierce competitor and at that level people show frustration. He is a good role model. He has numerous charities and gives a lot of time to teach children about life, golf, and many other things. Tiger Woods has come from a good family, he works really hard, he donates his time to charities. He is graceful in interviews, he is not arogant in interviews. He is a competitor.

Tiger haters drive me crazy. He is the greatest thing that could have ever happened to sport. More than Jordon, Hank Aaron, Mark McGuire etc etc. Mark McGuire is still a role model (steriods), Joe DiMaggio (aduterer), Babe Ruth (alcoholic, and chain smoker; not to mention he showed up at a hospital and promised a child to hit home runs when he was dying of cancer), Michael Jordan (severe gambling problem), and Wayne Gretzky ( adulterer, and chauvinist) I can show proof and documentation on all of this statements. These are all role models. They have shown hard work, dedication in what they do best.

So to all of you Tiger haters. He is human, he makes mistakes and gets frustrated. But do not say he is not a good role model, cause that is utter BS. He is one of the greatest role models that has ever been in sport. He spends time and money to make sure children understand the value of hard work, and education.

These damn posts make me sooooo angry......stop saying Tiger is terrible, cannot golf, hogs the television. Golf is what it is because of him!!!!

Way Beyond Help Colby is on a distinguished road Colby's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by beefstuf
    I hate these threads. Tiger is a professional athlete. When Ron Hextal threw his stick no one scrutinized him. He was still a professional athlete that "had a lot of intensity". Tiger has never said he was a gentle person, he has never said that he was a gentleman. He says "I can hit the ball in the hole quicker then most players". He is a fierce competitor and at that level people show frustration. He is a good role model. He has numerous charities and gives a lot of time to teach children about life, golf, and many other things. Tiger Woods has come from a good family, he works really hard, he donates his time to charities. He is graceful in interviews, he is not arogant in interviews. He is a competitor.

Tiger haters drive me crazy. He is the greatest thing that could have ever happened to sport. More than Jordon, Hank Aaron, Mark McGuire etc etc. Mark McGuire is still a role model (steriods), Joe DiMaggio (aduterer), Babe Ruth (alcoholic, and chain smoker; not to mention he showed up at a hospital and promised a child to hit home runs when he was dying of cancer), Michael Jordan (severe gambling problem), and Wayne Gretzky ( adulterer, and chauvinist) I can show proof and documentation on all of this statements. These are all role models. They have shown hard work, dedication in what they do best.

So to all of you Tiger haters. He is human, he makes mistakes and gets frustrated. But do not say he is not a good role model, cause that is utter BS. He is one of the greatest role models that has ever been in sport. He spends time and money to make sure children understand the value of hard work, and education.

These damn posts make me sooooo angry......stop saying Tiger is terrible, cannot golf, hogs the television. Golf is what it is because of him!!!!
    Golf was golf long before Tiger showed up on the scene. PGA Tour prize money has exploded because of Tiger, but I'm not sure what that has to do with golf. A side effect of rising purses is the loss of tournaments, especially ones that Tiger does not participate in. Why are these tournaments gone? Because sponsors that are willing to fork out the millions of dollars are hard to find. Look at the Air Canada Classic - gone. It was always a "B" class event, as are several others on tour. And these "B" class events are trying different ways to generate interest, thus Michelle Wie and Annika are invited to play.

Tiger makes tens of millions of dollars per year. It's easy to give away some to charities, in fact it probably helps with his taxes. Saying that he gives his time is questionable. I'm not convinced that Tiger gives any of his time away. I don't think that Tiger is spooning out food in a soup kitchen without cameras being there and him being paid an appearance fee or using it as a PR campaign.

And that leads me to the point that I continue to try and make. Tiger has been built up by his handlers to be this omnipotent being, charitable, easy going etc. From what I have seen on the media, with things like Tiger's yacht, camera dunkings by his caddy, his attitude on the course, holding the PGA ransom for using pictures of him, Mike Weir not signing pictures of Tiger putting the green jacket on, etc, and what I've seen in real life, not signing autographs, ignoring kids (his biggest charity cause), etc, he is not what he has been built up to be.

I would respect Tiger a hundredfold more if he were honest and truthful. If he wants to be a jerk, be a jerk. There's more sincerity in that. But there is probably less money.
    It could be that the purpose of your life is only to serve as a warning to others.
    Colby

Amateur Golfpeasant is on a distinguished road
    Quote Originally Posted by beefstuf
    Im glad you like him. Thats the beautiful thing about choice: you can choose him as a role model.

The beauty of choice for me is I can choose to think you are wrong. Whether we agree or not is irrelevant and a waste of time.

One more thread on Tiger ...
    I'll sleep better tonight.

Caddy beefstuf is on a distinguished road beefstuf's Avatar
    oooooo, sometimes you guys can be a little too harsh, ummm maybe I can as well. But isn't reaction fun

Wooo hooo you got yourself a winner there.
    Let me your reaction the next time a kid in the group in front of you takes a wack at the green because he missed his 29 and half yard putt he thinks he should have made. Let me see your face when you tell him thats not how it's suppose to be like when you miss a putt, and his answer is .........."well I saw the cat do it so I can do it too".

BT the last time I looked, golf was NOT invented in 1997

Sand Wedge McGavin is on a distinguished road
    These threads are getting out of control. It's the same arguments time and time again.

Why is tiger on TV so much???

Take a guess. He is the best golfer in the world. He is a megastar. 80% of the audience is tuning in to see him play. Whether or not you are one of them is irrelevant, watch something else. There's usually a Nationwide event on the golf channel, or maybe a good infomercial.

Tiger is a jerk, what a bad role model.

I watch professional golf to see the best players in the world play golf. I can honestly say I have never been personally offended by anything Tiger has done on a golf course. Honestly guys, who cares? There are more offensive things on every other station. It's laughable to think that anyone in our society would shield their children from watching TW play golf because they think he'll be a bad influence on them.
    If you are one of them I urge you to throw away your TV immediately, get your children out of school and move out of the city... or... grow up.

As redundant as they are I would rather see people discuss the merits of Tiger's accomplishments vs Jack or Vijay. But this whole argument on whether or not Tiger is a good person is really lame.

Let's leave the judging up to the big guy and maybe start talking about golf.

Birdie flagolfnut is on a distinguished road

Cool

Quote Originally Posted by Colby
    Golf was golf long before Tiger showed up on the scene. PGA Tour prize money has exploded because of Tiger, but I'm not sure what that has to do with golf. A side effect of rising purses is the loss of tournaments, especially ones that Tiger does not participate in. Why are these tournaments gone? Because sponsors that are willing to fork out the millions of dollars are hard to find. Look at the Air Canada Classic - gone. It was always a "B" class event, as are several others on tour. And these "B" class events are trying different ways to generate interest, thus Michelle Wie and Annika are invited to play.

Tiger makes tens of millions of dollars per year. It's easy to give away some to charities, in fact it probably helps with his taxes. Saying that he gives his time is questionable. I'm not convinced that Tiger gives any of his time away. I don't think that Tiger is spooning out food in a soup kitchen without cameras being there and him being paid an appearance fee or using it as a PR campaign.

And that leads me to the point that I continue to try and make. Tiger has been built up by his handlers to be this omnipotent being, charitable, easy going etc. From what I have seen on the media, with things like Tiger's yacht, camera dunkings by his caddy, his attitude on the course, holding the PGA ransom for using pictures of him, Mike Weir not signing pictures of Tiger putting the green jacket on, etc, and what I've seen in real life, not signing autographs, ignoring kids (his biggest charity cause), etc, he is not what he has been built up to be.

I would respect Tiger a hundredfold more if he were honest and truthful. If he wants to be a jerk, be a jerk. There's more sincerity in that. But there is probably less money.
    What other superstar...let me say it again ummm superstar has gone to a soup kitchen just for the fun of it?? What other superstar....let me say it again ummm superstar has signed every autograph sent his way. You know what is funny? If this was a basketball forum all the Tiger haters would probably be hating Michael Jordan or Lebron James..why I don't know...If this was a baseball forum all you Tiger haters would probably be hating Barry Bonds...why I don't know. Maybe I'm wrong, but if this was a tennis forum all you Tiger haters would probably be hating Roger Federer. Don't hate the player hate the game. It's a fact that since Tiger has been on tour golf is the fastest growing sport in Canada, I started because of Tiger and millions of other people have to. This forum probably would have never existed if it wasen't for Tiger. Don't get me wrong I love coming here as do a lot of us, but honestly how many of us out here have been more exposed to the game of golf a little bit more and have become more intrigued by the game because of Tiger? It's O.K to admit it, even if you do hate the best player in the world. And Colby I have a question. How did you end up being security or how did you end up following Tiger like you did? Is it because you wanted to watch the best player?? Now be honest, because I bet there were hunderds of people who would have loved to have done what you did, so why is it you ended up there? Just curious...

"Richard"
    Quote Originally Posted by wopstergolf
    Tiger = TV Ratings = MONEY
    agreed. He is the biggest name in golf and ratings equal money. Tourneys where tiger enter get packed. When tiger is in the hunt the ratings go up. When he isn't, they go way down. I think people should stop bashing tiger and the coverage he gets. He has grown this sport more than any other player has grown any other sport. Has done more than jordan did, gretz, montanna/rice, ali/fraiser. Does tiger get more coverage than he should in terms of any other golfer who is 10 strokes back, of course. People are tuning in just to see him and you have to give the people what they want. It is a business after all. This guy single handedly put nike golf on the map. If there was no tiger, the nike driver would not be selling for $450+, they would be able to charge more for their shorts than hugo boss does... its just the way it is. I'm sure if you asked someone if they would rather watch tiger 6 strokes out of the lead with 9 holes to play or would they rather watch dimarco chase singh for the lead down the strech people would pick tiger... I personally wouldn't but some people would. Watching him drive a green and watching people already on the green look in amazment that he drove it that far and that acurately is awesome. I would rather watch two guys (other than tiger) fight it out for the win but even 6 strokes back with 9 to go doesn't seem ipossible for him. He is capable of eagling a par 5 and after watching him drive 330+ par 4's eagles are even possible on par 4's. Not likely but possible and people want to watching.

Also, I agree with the two many tigers threads

Funny how these threads bother you cat lovers, yet you continue to put him on that pedestal at all costs.

No more for me on this for now. I've got a 930 tee off and I should get ready for a club tossing, bag kicking, green hacking and camera kicking day on the course.

Golf Nut nice_lag is on a distinguished road
    Give it up already. Same arguments coming back every 2 weeks or so.... Geeeee... This isn't High School.

Yes this forum would exist if it wasn't for Tiger; no doubt in my mind. But I'm sure that this stupid arguing about whether the cat is the greatest thing since sliced bread will drive away people from this board.

I'm a member of a hockey forum and I don't hate Gretzky, Lemieux, Yzerman, or any other superstar (aside from Jagr ) and I haven't seen that much energy WASTED on arguing about silly points. Let's move on people.

/rant off... btw I'm not checking any Tiger thread anymore; really not worth it.
    nice_lag
    Almonte

Hopelessly Addicted broken27 is on a distinguished road broken27's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by McGavin
    Let's leave the judging up to the big guy and maybe start talking about golf.
    What does John Daly's judgment have to do with this?

Dan
    [URL=http://www.sportsfiend.ca/]Sportsfiend.ca - Make You Opinion Into News...

Quote Originally Posted by broken27
    What does John Daly's judgment have to do with this?

Dan
    Now that's funny!

Sand Wedge McGavin is on a distinguished road
    [QUOTE=Steve Karam]Funny how these threads bother you cat lovers, yet you continue to put him on that pedestal at all costs.

You seem to be more bothered by these threads than anybody else. You are all over them.

And correct me if I'm wrong but I think I remember reading a story about you throwing golf clubs in a lake.

Golf Nut nice_lag is on a distinguished road
    [QUOTE=McGavin]
    Quote Originally Posted by Steve Karam
    Funny how these threads bother you cat lovers, yet you continue to put him on that pedestal at all costs.

You seem to be more bothered by these threads than anybody else. You are all over them.

And correct me if I'm wrong but I think I remember reading a story about you throwing golf clubs in a lake.

*grabs popcorn and sits down* This is about to get so good....
    nice_lag
    Almonte

Quote Originally Posted by McGavin
    But they werent in anger and were very deliberate and for the fun of it. Plus they made ZERO DAMAGE.

I heard a turtle scream.

Thread Information