CorporateGolfXtra 2023
+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Club Fitting

Putter duffcity is on a distinguished road

Club Fitting

Good morning everyone!
    I am looking to get new irons (potentially this winter) and I am wondering where the best place to go to get fitted to see which shafts, brand etc is right for me. Does anyone have a suggestion on what place is the best for this? I have heard people go to Golf town, Haime etc. but I would like some expert advice from you beauties on here. I am located in Orleans so East End would be great but I am willing to travel to the West End if necessary.

Thanks in advance!

Putter JKirk is on a distinguished road
    In my opinion, Golftec is the best option. They're in the east end. I did a fitting there a couple of years ago and was thoroughly impressed.

1 Iron john8888 is on a distinguished road
    i would also recommend Golftec ... and ask for Taylor ...he is a great fitter ... towards the end of winter he will be booked for a month or so in advance ...

Gap Wedge GolfLogics is on a distinguished road GolfLogics's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by duffcity View Post
    Good morning everyone!
    I am looking to get new irons (potentially this winter) and I am wondering where the best place to go to get fitted to see which shafts, brand etc is right for me. Does anyone have a suggestion on what place is the best for this? I have heard people go to Golf town, Haime etc. but I would like some expert advice from you beauties on here. I am located in Orleans so East End would be great but I am willing to travel to the West End if necessary.

Thanks in advance!
    I am not sure if you have gone for a fitting yet, but I have recommend GolfTec Kanata and see Scott. He will fit you into exactly what you need. I would suggest maybe using a different retailer then the store they are located in be that is your choice.

Kevin Haimes Centre probably has the best technology as a fitting centre and he is a very knowledgeable professional. You wont go wrong there either.

I suggest staying away from the big box as the fitters there are not CPGA Professionals. To them it's about the sale not what you truly need.

Ask lots of questions before you chose your fitter. If they are professional, they will answer every concern you have. You need to be comfortable with your fitting professional.

I hope this helps.

JK
    GOLF LOGIC'S GOLF CLUB REPAIR CENTRE
    OTTAWA'S LOGICAL GOLF CLUB REPAIR CHOICE

Posting Sensei justsomeguy is on a distinguished road
    I agree with the suggestion to avoid Golf Town. Kevin Haime's would be a good option but they are a long way from Orleans.

I was not impressed with GolfTec in the east end in general, although I did not go there for a club fitting so your experience may be different. I did go for a club fitting at Golfworks on Industrial Avenue near St-Laurent and was impressed, although they are primarily custom club makers so if you are set on buying "brand name" clubs then that may not be what you're looking for.

Arrow shooter Chieflongtee is on a distinguished road Chieflongtee's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by GolfLogics View Post

I suggest staying away from the big box as the fitters there are not CPGA Professionals. To them it's about the sale not what you truly need.

JK
    IMHO not sure about CPGA professionals being good fitters or them focusing on fitting.
    Most will direct their attention to teaching and/or managing a golf club and/or running the pro shop. Some will offer regripping and perhaps some reshafting as well as ordering direct from the manufacturers.

Just my 0.02
    Live as if you were to die tomorrow. Learn as if you were to live forever.
    Mahatma Gandhi

I hear what you saying. And undoubtedly I am pretty sure you will be doing a greater/better job than the BB stores. Were you ever a shoemaker? It seems to me that sadly it’s a lost art. I will make sure to come pay you a vist when you open up.

Here is my take on CPGA pros. Even though they go through extensive training the CPGA members won’t primarily focus on fitting. There may be exceptions to the rule but as a whole true club fitting is too expensive and too time consuming for the majority of them. I am sure you’re familiar with TXG in Toronto.

I’ll doubt that you’ll find any CPGA members with the same shaft inventory. Even Don and Les were limited. Not because of knowledge but because of the amount it costs to operate a street front store.( More Don than Less) Don was mostly dealing with KZG for heads and Accra shafts an maybe a few others IIRC- Les with Wishon-Maltby-Hireko etc..) And for history’s sake there was also Al’s clubhouse in Greely( Retired unfortunately)
    https://procustomclubfitters.com/fit...itter-106.html

Sure there might be some hack jobs in BB store. But if someone has been working there for more than 5 years I am pretty sure they are doing a better job than someone just starting out. You’ll find the same at CT and many other places. There are also professionals in other fields with diplomas plastered all over the wall but yet fail to deliver the goods by either not being good listeners, arrogant or simply incompetent. Finding the right club fitter is the hard part. There has to be good chemistry between the client and the fitter( and deliver the goods of course)

There are many levels of fitting imho. I can’t speak for KH as I’ve never been there.
    1) BB fitting. Decent but limited to what the manufacturers send them.
    2) Online fitting: Not bad especially with Ping and color coded chart and being able to set a target swingweight to your liking. However you don’t get to try them. Not a fan a swingweight matching but that’s another topic
    3) Demo day fitting. Pretty good but only limited to one brand and their shaft offerings.
    4) Certified ICG Club Maker if you can find one in your area or a former PCS member. Again pretty good but usually limited to components. I would put Golfworks in that category but they definitely have an edge with their stock shaft inventory. Not even sure their fitting facility has been reopen as it has been closed during Covid.
    5) Places like TXG/ Modern Golf although I’ve never been to anyone of them. Impressive inventory. Launch monitor. And you get to see the results right before your very eyes. The works. But again it only takes one bad apple to ruin the bushel
    Anyway nice talking with you and best of luck with your store opening
    Mahatma Gandhi

Hello Chief,

I grew up on a golf course a driving range and a golf shop. When I was ten and old enough to see over the counters I was put to work! Today they call that forced child labor, back in those days my father called it "I'm teaching the kid how to work". I learned a lot from that man especially when it comes to work ethics and thankfully the golf industry! Kids today miss out on that experience in my opinion

My father was incredible not only at the craft of club repair but also the art of cobbling. He is the one that taught me that trade. Back in those days we fixed shoes we did not just buy new ones. I have a lot of cobbling equipment including stretching equipment and a very very old Singer Long Arm Leather Patcher. With that machine you can do wonders including golf bag repairs. One thing I do a lot of is replacing the "receptacle" or as some think of it the socket the spike screws into. It is a shame to throw out a good pair of shoes because of that issue.

I went to school in Ohio to learn from some of the best to get the knowledge I have today plus the years of training under my father. To the BB it is all about money not the customer. Trust me on this I have that inside knowledge that would I am sure really make you shake your head.

As for TXG that is truly an experience in itself. But it is run by CPGA professionals. The experience also cost you $400.00 for a full bag and takes hours to complete. Is this a bad thing? Absolutely not in my opinion you're going to get a very detailed comprehensive fitting at these facilities. But again, you get what you pay for, and they are the trained professionals.

Now as for that extensive shaft and equipment inventory, they have don't think for a minute the manufactures are not involved. I come from Toronto, and I know Matt who started TXG. I have also directed many people to their Centre as if you are at that caliber in your game that is the place for you to go. No one has ever come back and was not ecstatic with the experience.

When we look at a fitting facility locally that has top notch technology and launch monitors it would have to be Kevin Haimes in my opinion best in the area. But Scott Hay is also a top-notch fitter at GolfTec that will work it till it is perfectly right for the customer and their game.

That is my experience and opinion anyway.

JK
    Last edited by GolfLogics; 02-29-2024 at 03:39 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by GolfLogics View Post

I have pictures but will not allow me to upload

JK
    If you have a Kijiji account it's real easy to copy the URL of your images and upload them. Here is an example:

Mahatma Gandhi

Singles Match Play Champ 2009 Team Match Play Champ 2013, 2014 leftylucas is on a distinguished road leftylucas's Avatar
    I agree that CPGA pros are sometimes not the best for fittings, not to say that there are not some very good ones. I had 2 fitting experiences at Golftec and as a club builder I was not impressed with the approach or the end results. Just my 2 cents.
    Lefty Lucas
    I am abidextrous, I once golfed right-handed and now I shoot left-handed just as badly!

Need a Caddy slash is on a distinguished road
    Same here with golftec Was going for an iron fitting and decided to get a few lessons Didn't work for me.
    Last edited by slash; 11-23-2022 at 08:22 PM.

Sand Wedge Rlps23 is on a distinguished road
    Quote Originally Posted by duffcity View Post
    Good morning everyone!

Thanks in advance!
    Hi,

Speaking for experience over the last 10 years, I have been fit by: Kevin Haime, Taylor at Golftec, Titleist and Mizuno regional reps during their fitting days and the BBs but by a very good fitter there at the Kanata location. However the best fitting I have received was at Rideauview, they have an amazing setup (outdoor trackman but from an indoor fitting bay) and although they are a Titleist shop, they have all major OEM carts. If I had to rate them: Rideauview hands down, then Golftec and then the rest served their purpose but none went above and beyond expectations like Rideauview, could not recommend more and it is 100 worth the drive from the East - hope this helps.

Gap Wedge golfinturtle is on a distinguished road
    Hey folks
    After an unavoidable absence, JK is back in business. We've started prepping the shop. Official opening will be April 1. The sign is up on the building, the phone number works again.
    We have 1000 grips in the shop, with 2500 more arriving next week.
    Come have your clubs serviced by a non-misogynistic team that cares about golfers and their clubs, not upselling you on gear you may not need.
    Golf season is just around the corner
    See you soon.

Hello all sorry for the delay in opening!

Good news is we are here now and ready to fix repair or adjust anything you need.

Need your clubs tuned up for the spring? Now is the time to adjust your loft an lie get those new grips on or put those shafts you have been craving in finally.

We have a good supply of Golf Pride grips in stock including Tour Velvet in Standard Midsize and Jumbo and can get pretty much whatever you crave.

We also have a certified electrician/electronics wizard and she can and will repair or tune-up your walk behind electric cart.

We open early 8am and are here till 7pm through the week.

Google Map search Golf Logics Ottawa to get directions and hours.

See you all soon!
    Last edited by GolfLogics; 02-29-2024 at 03:36 PM.

1 Iron BARGEGOLF is on a distinguished road BARGEGOLF's Avatar
    Has anyone gone to Golf Logics since they opened up? any comments?

7 Iron Kyaku is on a distinguished road
    Quote Originally Posted by BARGEGOLF View Post
    Has anyone gone to Golf Logics since they opened up? any comments?
    i plan to go next time i need a change. theres some google reviews that look legit.

1 Iron BARGEGOLF is on a distinguished road BARGEGOLF's Avatar
    Tks⛳️⛳️⛳️⛳️

Thread Information