CorporateGolfXtra 2024
+ Reply to Thread
    Caddy PowerFade is on a distinguished road PowerFade's Avatar

Wishon 550 Irons

I just ordered a combo set of Wishon 550c and 550m irons (2-4 cavity back; 5-PW muscle back). Who's tried 'em or got 'em now? BCMist, are you still playing your set? Let me know what everyone thinks. Thanks.

Hall of Fame jvincent is on a distinguished road jvincent's Avatar
    I've tried them, they are sweet. You won't be disappointed.

Green Jacket GarthM is on a distinguished road GarthM's Avatar
    I've got the 550's 4 and 5 in CB and 6-AW in MB. Used the Mercury Savage steel shaft and love 'em. Agree with jvincent, you won't be disappointed. Enjoy. Thanks again to BCMist....

Must be Single 1972Apex is on a distinguished road 1972Apex's Avatar
    Nice choice. They are excellent clubs. Great feel and workability and beautifully made.
    I don't own a set but I've hit them many times and they are as good a forged combos set as you'll find. The transition from the CBs to the blades is seamless.

Arrow shooter Chieflongtee is on a distinguished road Chieflongtee's Avatar
    Have never tried them and don't mean to be negative. I just wish Wishon had a distribution centre here in Canada. I can't stand broker's fees. Oh well maybe one day. Wishon has built so many excellent clubs and engineered so many new designs. Truly a component genius and a pioneer. He just published 2 new books apparently worth reading.

GolfPig of the Year 2006 Golfbum is on a distinguished road
    There is a set of 550M Wishon heads on Ebay Canada now, under club components. Worth looking into if you want some nice blades.
    http://cgi.ebay.ca/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?...&rd=1&tc=photo

I have a set of 550C irons and really like them.
    My opinions are my own, I do not follow others.

I've never bought anything from Ebay. But thanks Golfbum.

Quote Originally Posted by Golfbum
    There is a set of 550M Wishon heads on Ebay Canada now, under club components. Worth looking into if you want some nice blades.
    http://cgi.ebay.ca/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?...&rd=1&tc=photo

I have a set of 550C irons and really like them.
    Holy crap! That is a really good price for those clubs. Hmmm.......

Golf Canada Rules Official L4 BC MIST is on a distinguished road
    Quote Originally Posted by PowerFade
    I just ordered a combo set of Wishon 550c and 550m irons (2-4 cavity back; 5-PW muscle back). Who's tried 'em or got 'em now? BCMist, are you still playing your set? Let me know what everyone thinks. Thanks.
    Yes, I am still playing them. In my second set of the cavity and blade combination I installed the Wishon Interflexx graphite shaft(S low launch). These shafts are made for him by Royal Precision and are spined before they are painted so that all the graphics can be aligned the way the golfer wishes.

I especially like the weight port that Wishon has drilled in to the bottom of the head which makes the addition of small tungsten weights for either swingweight or MOI matching a breeze.

These forged heads are as good as any on the market at, of course, a fraction of the price. And you can assemble them yourself.

Wow, 9 replies in no time flat! Thanks for the input, everyone.

Any negatives?

BC, even though I've been working through two injuries since Feb. everything I've studied and done re. my new SA swing has been great! I only have three rounds in this year and very little range time, but 1what I've done at home has drastically changed my game. Last time out I hit 11/14 fairways and was only off a bit on the three I missed. I'm also dead straight or straight pull with my irons, too. For me, that's phenominal! Still working on distance control. Probably ball position--I'm hitting many too high and I think it's because I'm playing the ball too far forward. Thanks for your help and input so far!

Wow, 9 replies in no time flat! Thanks for the input, everyone.

Any negatives?
    Yes. The guy on eBay outbid me.

Quote Originally Posted by jvincent
    Yes. The guy on eBay outbid me.
    Not a problem if you bid high enough!

Not a problem if you bid high enough!
    Six days left. I'm waiting a bit.

Postmaster General The Saint is on a distinguished road The Saint's Avatar
    These are really nice combo set of forged 1035 carbon steel. Played them and they are sweet. What shafts do you plan on putting in them?

Some people are like Slinkies... they're really good for nothing, ... but they still bring a smile to your face when you push them down a flight of stairs...

GolfPig of the Year 2006 Golfbum is on a distinguished road
    Quote Originally Posted by Chieflongtee
    I've never bought anything from Ebay. But thanks Golfbum.
    Well buying from Ebay is not a big deal. Most sellers are honest. I checked the sellers feedback and it is all positive, plus he is in Canada. I have bought items from ebay and have never had a bad experience. Those heads look like new, you can email the guy and ask. Beats paying duty!
    My opinions are my own, I do not follow others.

Thanks Golfbum. I am quite happy with my CBs and besides Jvincent would never forgive me.

Quote Originally Posted by The Saint
    These are really nice combo set of forged 1035 carbon steel. Played them and they are sweet. What shafts do you plan on putting in them?
    DG S300 and X100 combo. I'm looking for heavy and to keep my ballflight down. I will try the Savage if these end up being too stiff or too heavy.
    Last edited by PowerFade; 07-30-2005 at 12:42 PM.

Have never tried them and don't mean to be negative. I just wish Wishon had a distribution centre here in Canada. I can't stand broker's fees. Oh well maybe one day.
    Ask Tom to ship USPS (NOT UPS) and you will only have to pay 15% tax on the declared value (and maybe $5 handling from CanPost). BTW, I got mine used and not directly from TWGT, though I did get a 321LI from him.

Ask Tom to ship USPS (NOT UPS) and you will only have to pay 15% tax on the declared value (and maybe $5 handling from CanPost). BTW, I got mine used and not directly from TWGT, though I did get a 321LI from him.
    I did ask them a year ago and they would not do it as USPS does not pick up in Durango.

I did ask them a year ago and they would not do it as USPS does not pick up in Durango.
    What about one of the many clubmakers who deal with Wishon who can mail USPS?

Now that you mention it, I shipped to Tom with CanPost/USPS and I don't remember how he shipped back to me, actually it was to a friend of mine in the US, so brokerage didn't apply anyway.

Quote Originally Posted by BC MIST
    Yes, I am still playing them. In my second set of the cavity and blade combination I installed the Wishon Interflexx graphite shaft(S low launch). These shafts are made for him by Royal Precision and are spined before they are painted so that all the graphics can be aligned the way the golfer wishes.
    Are the shafts stiff enough for your swing?--I believe you said your driver is 110mph when you step on it, so your 5i must be in the 85mph range. I've also heard SA players tend to prefer heavier shafts (and I can see why) but if you're able to control lighter, there is a potential for more swingspeed. So, what's your take on this particular combo? Also, do you assemble your clubs overlength, and are your 550s upright at all? Thanks.

Thanks Golfbum. I am quite happy with my CBs and besides Jvincent would never forgive me.
    Not to worry, the bid is now up to $177 US, and since I only need 4-PW it's almost the same price as if I were to get them new.

Are the shafts stiff enough for your swing?--I believe you said your driver is 110mph when you step on it, so your 5i must be in the 85mph range. I've also heard SA players tend to prefer heavier shafts (and I can see why) but if you're able to control lighter, there is a potential for more swingspeed. So, what's your take on this particular combo? Also, do you assemble your clubs overlength, and are your 550s upright at all? Thanks.
    While my 5I is in the 85 mph range, my driver swing speed stays in the 100 to 103 range, except when I purposely try to crank it up, with the result that I lose accuracy.

I use graphite shafts because the total weight of my clubs gets too high with steel AND my 100 gram grip(grip + tape underneath). I love the feel/sound of the Wishons and especially the look of the musclebacks which I have in the 8 to A,A wedges( I use two A wedges, with lofts appropriately adjusted).

I determine the length of my clubs starting with the usual Wrist to Floor measurement that one would use with a conventional setup and grip. I them measure how much farther down the shaft my right hand is with the palm grip over the position of the same with my Vardon grip. Calculate the difference and then make all my SA clubs that much longer. For me it is about 1.5 inches. Otherwise, I would be playing with clubs of an effective length 1.5" shorter than normal as this effective length is from the right wrist hinge(the fulcrum of a lever) to the club head. If a CG player converts to SA and does not increase the length of the clubs a little, he will experience some distance loss due to the "shorter" clubs. Years ago I called in the The Golf Channel's Golf talk Live show and asked this question about length increase and it was conformed by the NG instructor on the show that this was correct.

In making the clubs longer, normally the shafts become more flexible, however, if the weight of the grip and tape also become heavier, this usually counter balances the increase in length and the swingweight stays the same. Now, if the SW stays the same AND the length increases, the shafts become STIFFER, as there is more butt of the shaft used and the butt is the stiffest part of any shaft.

I MOI matched all of my clubs so swingweight is a non-issue and the frequency of all of my irons is the same and was determined by a frequency meter for the appropriate length of each club.

Ironically, I have flattened the lies of all of my irons about 3 degrees. It does not matter whether they become more up or down as long as they get dynamically checked. Interestingly, when I chatted with Ken Martin, then head instructor with NG whom I met at the last Eagle Creek Classic, he indicated that he actually flattened the lies of his clubs, too. Now he is aboout 5'7", and I am 5"10" so our height is obviously a factor in the lie angle determination.

Glad to see that the conversion has been a benefit to you and hope that you get more chances to play.

In making the clubs longer, normally the shafts become more flexible, however, if the weight of the grip and tape also become heavier, this usually counter balances the increase in length and the swingweight stays the same. Now, if the SW stays the same AND the length increases, the shafts become STIFFER, as there is more butt of the shaft used and the butt is the stiffest part of any shaft.

I MOI matched all of my clubs so swingweight is a non-issue and the frequency of all of my irons is the same and was determined by a frequency meter for the appropriate length of each club.

Ironically, I have flattened the lies of all of my irons about 3 degrees. It does not matter whether they become more up or down as long as they get dynamically checked. Interestingly, when I chatted with Ken Martin, then head instructor with NG whom I met at the last Eagle Creek Classic, he indicated that he actually flattened the lies of his clubs, too. Now he is aboout 5'7", and I am 5"10" so our height is obviously a factor in the lie angle determination.

Glad to see that the conversion has been a benefit to you and hope that you get more chances to play.
    Thanks for your response.

So, your stiff Interflexx shafts play more like SX because of the longer length/same swingweight. You get your length from wrist to floor plus 1 1/2". Then you dynamic lie each club which ends up, for you, being 3* flat (58* 5i at 39.5"?).

I'm a little concerned about making dynamic lie adjustments before my SA change is fairly complete. What if I'm not swinging properly when testing for lie? Should I just do it and readjust at the end of the season?

Regarding MOI matching, I'll have to read my files on that to see for what type of swinger it works best. Can't remember off the top of my head.

I am hoping to get more chances to play and practice. Next week looks good for a couple rounds...

Thanks for your response.

So, your stiff Interflexx shafts play more like SX because of the longer length/same swingweight. You get your length from wrist to floor plus 1 1/2". Then you dynamic lie each club which ends up, for you, being 3* flat (58* 5i at 39.5"?).

I'm a little concerned about making dynamic lie adjustments before my SA change is fairly complete. What if I'm not swinging properly when testing for lie? Should I just do it and readjust at the end of the season?
    Traditionally, irons get stiffer as you move from the long to short irons. so with the additional length AND with the SW remaining constant, the "S" Interflexx would play a little stiffer, however I do the frequency matching, so the move to a stiffer shaft would be taken out of the equation, if my set was made traditionally.

Now, all of my clubs have the exact same butt frequency(301 cpm's) so my 4I obviously has the same stiffness as the PW and with the MOI matching, they all have the same swing feel. The constant frequency is just a reflection of my desire to have a matching set of irons versus the normal stiffer to the short irons concept which results in a set that does not match. Most players play with clubs that, IMO, are too soft in the long clubs and too stiff in the short ones. We say that normal sets are all "regular" flex, but in reality they may be L flex in the 2 iron, A in the 4, R in the 8 and S in the PW. Why? More control in the short irons and more loft in the long irons is the traditional answer, which, IMO, is nonsense.

Tom Wishon's answer to my question was revealing. If the golfer PERCEIVES that a traditionally cut set is better, IT IS. By inference, is he saying that maybe the set is NOT better?

My last quest would be to also match my clubs by total weight as well, which I did with last years set, however, because my clubs weigh a ton anyway, some of them were just too heavy.

Having said all of the above, another reality is that a good swing with a good club gets good results, whereas a bad swing with a good/bad or indifferent club gets bad results. We need to worry more about our swings than our clubs.

Now, all of my clubs have the exact same butt frequency(301 cpm's) so my 4I obviously has the same stiffness as the PW and with the MOI matching, they all have the same swing feel. The constant frequency is just a reflection of my desire to have a matching set of irons versus the normal stiffer to the short irons concept which results in a set that does not match. Most players play with clubs that, IMO, are too soft in the long clubs and too stiff in the short ones. We say that normal sets are all "regular" flex, but in reality they may be L flex in the 2 iron, A in the 4, R in the 8 and S in the PW. Why? More control in the short irons and more loft in the long irons is the traditional answer, which, IMO, is nonsense.

Tom Wishon's answer to my question was revealing. If the golfer PERCEIVES that a traditionally cut set is better, IT IS. By inference, is he saying that maybe the set is NOT better?

My last quest would be to also match my clubs by total weight as well, which I did with last years set, however, because my clubs weigh a ton anyway, some of them were just too heavy.

Having said all of the above, another reality is that a good swing with a good club gets good results, whereas a bad swing with a good/bad or indifferent club gets bad results. We need to worry more about our swings than our clubs.
    I'm going to start a thread on MOI matching. I have many questions.

Thread Information