CorporateGolfXtra 2024
+ Reply to Thread
    4 Iron Gangrel is on a distinguished road

Closest Driving Range to downtown?

I live downtown and used to go to Airport Golfland for my swinging pleasure. However, from what i read in here, it's closed down now?

What's the next closest place for a downtownie like me? Would it be Target Golf down on Bank street?

6 Iron Keithsguy is on a distinguished road Keithsguy's Avatar

Thunderbird?

Thunderbird on Conroy, perhaps?

Postmaster General The Saint is on a distinguished road The Saint's Avatar
    There is one just across the river in Gatineau. I think you take the exit to the 50 and it's about a km up the road on the right. Not sure the exit name to get there. Perhaps someone from that area knows. It should only be about 15 mins for downtown.
    Some people are like Slinkies... they're really good for nothing, ... but they still bring a smile to your face when you push them down a flight of stairs...

3 Iron kewarken is on a distinguished road

Rockcliffe driving range

Haven't been here but noticed the sign when driving down Montreal Road the other day:

http://www.ottawaentertainment.ca/sports/rdr.asp

cheers,

Kris

Hall of Fame jvincent is on a distinguished road jvincent's Avatar
    Downtown is a somewhat nebulous description of your location. Where specifically are you coming from?

Competitor Hank Hill is on a distinguished road Hank Hill's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by The Saint
    There is one just across the river in Gatineau. I think you take the exit to the 50 and it's about a km up the road on the right. Not sure the exit name to get there. Perhaps someone from that area knows. It should only be about 15 mins for downtown.
    Yes that is the old rue Archambauld, it's now called rue St Louis.

Head towards Gatineau (secteur Gatineau ) on the 50, get off at Rue St Louis and turn left and then left again (first left) into the driving range.

Quote Originally Posted by jvincent
    Downtown is a somewhat nebulous description of your location. Where specifically are you coming from?

Sorry, I hadn't had my coffee yet.

Bronson/Gladstone area........

I might check out the Gatineau one, but i have a tendency to get lost over there.

Thanks for the ideas guys...

Competitor Hank Hill is on a distinguished road Hank Hill's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Gangrel

I might check out the Gatineau one, but i have a tendency to get lost over there.

It's pretty easy to find as it is just off HWY 50. It can be seen from the HWY (once you have passed the St Louis exit unfortunately).

Hall of Fame jvincent is on a distinguished road jvincent's Avatar

From there I think the closest ones are the ranges at either the Champlain or Chateau Cartier golf courses. Hop over the Champlain bridge and turn left on Aylmer road.

Green Jacket GarthM is on a distinguished road GarthM's Avatar

Bang for your buck drive out to Orleans. 12-15 mins on the 417 to the Orleans golf academy at the Chuck Brown's. Putting green, chipping green with sand, huge grass deck that is more or less level....$7-11 for a bucket and they are pretty good balls. I used to go to Archambault but back then (6-8 years ago) they charged an extra buck to use the grass and the balls were terrible. Chateau Cartier uses distance reduced balls and the Champlain range has no good targets to speak of. Great pitching green though at Champlain.

Fairway Junkie Michael is on a distinguished road
    I agree with Garth, drive out to Orleans, not that far from downtown, might take you 15 minutes. The range has both grass and mats if you like those, sand bunker to practice out of, nice putting green, and a pitching and chipping area. And the bonus is if you get the urge to try something new, Chuck Brown's is right there with a decent line of demo clubs.

Amateur Golfpeasant is on a distinguished road
    Quote Originally Posted by jvincent
    From there I think the closest ones are the ranges at either the Champlain or Chateau Cartier golf courses. Hop over the Champlain bridge and turn left on Aylmer road.
    Terribly overpriced. Go to Rockcliffe, Orleans or even the 19th tee before here.

Arrow shooter Chieflongtee is on a distinguished road Chieflongtee's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Golfpeasant
    Terribly overpriced. Go to Rockcliffe, Orleans or even the 19th tee before here.
    Not true. Large bucket at Rockliffe is just as expensive as Champlain. The balls are also very old. I don't know about CC.

First the question was which driving range is closest to downtown Ottawa. Second I just called the Champlain ans asked for their rates.Large bucket(80-85 balls) $8. If you buy a 25 bucket package it's $150 which comes down to $6. per bucket. Small bucket $6. each package $100 which comes down to $4. How is that overpriced? Please do your homework before posting such a statement.

Quote Originally Posted by Chieflongtee
    First the question was which driving range is closest to downtown Ottawa. Second I just called the Champlain ans asked for their rates.Large bucket(80-85 balls) $8. If you buy a 25 bucket package it's $150 which comes down to $6. per bucket. Small bucket $6. each package $100 which comes down to $4. How is that overpriced? Please do your homework before posting such a statement.
    I haven't been to the champlain in a while, when I was there, no such price existed, and the range was small and crowded, the balls were bad, and the pails were small. I'm not defending Rockcliffe either. So I apologize for my bad memory.

Personally, I'll drive the extra 5 minutes for the 19th tee.

Hopelessly Addicted el tigre is on a distinguished road el tigre's Avatar
    Personally if I lived in the Bronson/Gladstone area I would probably still go to Raceview. Just take Bronson/Airport Pky south to Lester Rd (just before the airport), Lester to Albion, and Albion south to the course. Follow the signs to Rideau Carleton Raceway and it is across the street.

Nice big range with good grass tees, big putting green and an excellent short game area. Large bucket is $6 and everything is included in the price. And you get a stamp card so every 7th or 8th bucket is free. Great value.
    [COLOR=green][B]Golf is a game invented by the same people who think music comes out of bagpipes.[/B][/COLOR]

I haven't been to the champlain in a while, when I was there, no such price existed, and the range was small and crowded, the balls were bad, and the pails were small. I'm not defending Rockcliffe either. So I apologize for my bad memory.

Personally, I'll drive the extra 5 minutes for the 19th tee.
    19th tee is nice but I would say more like an extra 15-20 minutes from either Carling or the Queensway.

Quote Originally Posted by el tigre
    Personally if I lived in the Bronson/Gladstone area I would probably still go to Raceview. Just take Bronson/Airport Pky south to Lester Rd (just before the airport), Lester to Albion, and Albion south to the course. Follow the signs to Rideau Carleton Raceway and it is across the street.

Nice big range with good grass tees, big putting green and an excellent short game area. Large bucket is $6 and everything is included in the price. And you get a stamp card so every 7th or 8th bucket is free. Great value.
    Never been there but will check it out. How long of a drive once you get past Carling and Bronson?

Championship Cup Eldred is on a distinguished road Eldred's Avatar
    If you don't mind 20 mins driving to Kanata, then Kevin Haime is it... You may even able to eavedrop on Haime or his staff giving lessons

Quote Originally Posted by el tigre

Now this I've been meaning to check out, but haven't been out practicing as much as I like. Its next on my list.

Barnie
    Quote Originally Posted by Eldred
    If you don't mind 20 mins driving to Kanata, then Kevin Haime is it... You may even able to eavedrop on Haime or his staff giving lessons
    The grass is only open I believe 4 days out of the week in which you have to hit off matts the other days. Plus as far as the quality of grass I think it has gone downhill this year. I went there the other day and there was barely any grass left in the station I was hitting in. Orleans in my opinion is by far the best around. It doesn't cost extra to use the putting and chipping in Orleans unlike Kevin Haimes.

Thanks, I may venture out to Orleans. Is it the one I see from the 174, before Place D'orleans exit?

Im a fixture here Pinshark is on a distinguished road Pinshark's Avatar
    How come no one has mentioned Capital Golf Centre just south on Bank St? I play and practice there regularly and although the greens are a little shaggy on the 18 hole par 3. There is a driving range....chipping range.....practice bunker......and practice green. I also live in the Bronson Gladstone area and felt your pain when the Airport Range closed. I have been much happier since I found Capital though.

Championship Cup Eldred is on a distinguished road Eldred's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Pinshark
    How come no one has mentioned Capital Golf Centre just south on Bank St? I play and practice there regularly and although the greens are a little shaggy on the 18 hole par 3. There is a driving range....chipping range.....practice bunker......and practice green. I also live in the Bronson Gladstone area and felt your pain when the Airport Range closed. I have been much happier since I found Capital though.
    I will definitely check it out...Beacause it's par3s, it's possible not too many veterant players would visit and find out about the practise facility.

More veteran players should visit par 3 courses......I believe it is one of the best ways to improve your game and not get bored at the range..

More veteran players should visit par 3 courses......I believe it is one of the best ways to improve your game and not get bored at the range..
    I agree totally...a lot of par 3s have smaller greens, which really improve your accuracy...its a fun way to practice with a purpose.

I find the balls at the capital range really ragged.

Hopelessly Addicted el tigre is on a distinguished road el tigre's Avatar
    I live in the south end and I've gone there a few times, and I would have a difficult time recommending it.

First of all, the balls at the driving range are in horrible shape. They look so grubby and battered that I don't think they've bought new ones in the last 10 years.

Secondly, the mats are terrible - just the regular slabs of carpet without the side panels. The grass area isn't too bad though.

As for the par 3 - well, I was hoping it would be a good place to practice my irons but instead I spent most of my time practicing my wedges. Over half of the holes are 120 yards or less and the greens are pretty shaggy. Par 3's are good for practice and I could use more wedge practice (and it is close by), so I'll probably drop in again. But for a few bucks more I could play the executive course at Pineview and practice with all my clubs.

With Target Golf and Raceview just a little farther down the road, I don't see myself going to the range at Capital anytime soon.
    [COLOR=green][B]Golf is a game invented by the same people who think music comes out of bagpipes.[/B][/COLOR]

FYI......I also agree the balls at Capital are in rough shape. Pro shop said they are getting replaced!!!! and yes you could play Pineview Exec for a few more bucks and another hour....

I went to Capital, and I found the grass area pretty chewed up. I also tried hitting off the mats, and most of the mats seem to be on plywood boxes! and for some reason it screws me up. They have regular mats sitting on rubber on the ends, and those are good......

Thread Information