CorporateGolfXtra 2023
+ Reply to Thread
    Hall of Fame spackler is on a distinguished road spackler's Avatar

Favourite sports memories

Wopster had a great thread about being lucky to see some great historical sports moments, and I thought I'd start a thread to see what people's favourite sports memories in general are.

I've been lucky enough to see in person a lot of great sports moments, teams and stars. I saw the Oilers in their glory years. I saw Joe Montana, Jerry Rice, Barry Sanders, Bret Favre and Dan Marino play. I watched all the great Blue Jays teams from 85-91, and then got pissed when my sister took my seat in 92 and 93 while I was at university. But a lot of those times, the event was more significant in a historical context than it was at the time it happened. For example, when I saw the Oilers, they beat a last place Leafs team 6-2. Big whoop at the time. I mean it was a big deal, but more the idea of it than the event itself.

The things that I remember the most, and which my kids will hear me retell over and over and over again, seem more mundane looking back, but were electric in the stadium.

I remember seeing Dennis Bergkamp score or create 3 goals, and about 300 chances in a 3-0 friendly defeat of Canada prior to the 94 World Cup. I went to a few World Cup games that year and nothing compared to the magic I saw that afternoon. I've never seen an individual effort like that since either. My wife's birthday is the same as his and it's at least 10% of the reason I married her.

I remember the fans in Alkmaar in Holland singing and chanting for 90 minutes as their 10th place team beat the last place team Fortuna. Not a rivalry game, not for positions in the standings, not to get into Europe, just a late season match with nothing on the line. But the stadium was sold out and the people were just loving it. I've never experienced atmosphere like that in a stadium, and I've been to quite a few games all over Europe. The atmosphere at almost any footie game in Europe however tops anything over here. I also remember being at Parkhead as Celtic celebrated the 43rd anniversary of their greatest defeat of Rangers, the entire 60,000 singing the song 'Celtic 7 and Rangers 1'. My apparently well connected cousin introduced me to the Chairman in a pub after the game too, he bought me a pint! Awesome stuff.

I remember watching the University of Michigan come back from two touchdowns down against Virginia in the fourth quarter of the first game of the season. The go-ahead score came with no time left, and the 110,000 people in the stadium were silent, literally silent, waiting to see if the receiver came down in bounds. When the official's hands went up, bedlam. Unbelievable, and this for a team that went on to an unmemorable 9-4 season. For sheer excitement, this was probably tops for me.

I remember game 5 in the eastern finals against the Devils, down 3 games to 1. The Corel centre was eery that night, like everyone there had sensed that if the Sens were going to get to the cup, the fans were going to have to will them there. Before the game even started, when the players sitting out were put up on the scoreboard, the crowd went nuts when Spezza's name was absent, meaning Martin had finally put him in the line-up. Throughout the game, the crowd cheered the Sens, got on the Devils and refs, and generally pushed them on to victory. It was a very cool night. Sure, the Sens lost the series, but I'll never forget the crowd that night.

Anyway, those are just some of my favourite sports memories. Anyone else with memorable, in the moment, sports memories?

Ty Webb

My memories...

Here are mine in no particular order:

1. Canada beating US in hockey at last winter olympics.
    2. NY Islanders winning first Stanley Cup (Bob Nystrom in OT)
    3. Watching my brother score 7 touchdowns in a game.
    4. Finally making a Junior B hockey team that I tried out for (aloooooong time ago).
    5. My first >200 yard drive.
    6. Cam Neely beating on Claude Lemieux for slashing him (Lemieux turtled)

Ty

Hopelessly Addicted broken27 is on a distinguished road broken27's Avatar
    I watched the "Stastny Game" in which the brothers put up some 10 points each or some ridiculous total like that... At the time it was kind of a novelty to have two Europeans, not to mention brothers, who were so impactful on the game. Obviously only Peter was able to really carve out a piece of stardom for himself... God only knows what happened to Anton (not to mention Marian).

Liverpool recently coming back against a traditionally stingy AC Milan defence from 3-0 at the half to force a shootout and an eventual Liverpool win. Very rare to see so much scoring in soccer. Especially in one half. Especially against AC Milan! Likely the most shocking game with meaning, at least that I've ever watched.

1998 Czech shootout win against Canada at the Nagano Olympics. Won't elaborate at the risk of generating a response that I don't care to hear...

Yzerman handing the Cup to Vladimir Konstantinov while he was still very vegetative... Brought tears to my eyes seeing the former tough and rugged D-Man all crippled up like that. Stevey proved he's all class, and that was the moment he became my favourite "person" to admire outside of people I know on a day-by-day basis.

Czechs v. Dutch at Euro 2004 was likely the best soccer game I've watched overall. Czechs got down 2-0 early but rally back to take it 3-2. Was especially nice because the pub we wanted to watch the game at didn't tell us until the game had started that they would not in fact be carrying the game. By the time I got my two babies packed up and got their stuff organized, and then got to the other pub, it was 2-0 Dutch.

Dan
    [URL=http://www.sportsfiend.ca/]Sportsfiend.ca - Make You Opinion Into News...

Hopelessly Addicted Shivas Irons is on a distinguished road Shivas Irons's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by spackler
    I remember game 5 in the eastern finals against the Devils, down 3 games to 1. The Corel centre was eery that night, like everyone there had sensed that if the Sens were going to get to the cup, the fans were going to have to will them there. Before the game even started, when the players sitting out were put up on the scoreboard, the crowd went nuts when Spezza's name was absent, meaning Martin had finally put him in the line-up. Throughout the game, the crowd cheered the Sens, got on the Devils and refs, and generally pushed them on to victory. It was a very cool night. Sure, the Sens lost the series, but I'll never forget the crowd that night.
    I was at that Sens/Devils game as well - it was fantastic & LOUD.

My favourite sports moment has to be Gretzky's pass and Lemieux's subsequent goal in the 87' Canada Cup.
    In 9 games during that tournament Gretzky had 21 points & Lemieux 18. Pretty amazing.

Caddy powerlefty is on a distinguished road
    [QUOTE=spackler]

QUOTE]

I agree that night was awesome and the response from the crowd was thundering when Spezza's name was not on the scratches.

However, that was my second best memory of the Senators. A couple of nights later I was fortunate to be on the Sens road trip to NJ to see Chris Phillips score in OT. On that occassion the Sens and Air Canada arranged for a free trip for long time sponsors/season ticket holders/suiteholders. It included a chartered AC flight to/from Newark, a fleet of busses to/from the game, tickets to the game and a Sens jersey.

Walking through the Continental Airlines Arena after the game wearing the Sens jersey attracted some antagonistic responses from the Devils faithful however. We got back home around 2 or 3 in the morning. It made for a long day at work the next day as I had a business trip in MTL and had to leave around 6AM!

Hall of Fame spackler is on a distinguished road spackler's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by broken27
    Czechs v. Dutch at Euro 2004 was likely the best soccer game I've watched overall. Czechs got down 2-0 early but rally back to take it 3-2. Was especially nice because the pub we wanted to watch the game at didn't tell us until the game had started that they would not in fact be carrying the game. By the time I got my two babies packed up and got their stuff organized, and then got to the other pub, it was 2-0 Dutch.

Dan
    That's a mean thing to put in my thread, man. That was a very good game for sure, and the Czechs were something to behold last summer. For me, seeing Holland actually WIN a shoot out after 92, 96, 98 and 2000 (also missed two penalties in regular time), made the tournament and probably is up there in the sports memories. Even if they mostly played like crap.

Competitor Hank Hill is on a distinguished road Hank Hill's Avatar
    There has been some great Ryder Cup victories for Europe that I enjoyed. Victories for Scotland against England at football (soccer) that I still smile at when I think about them, but for me my favourite sports memories revolve around my favourite football team Southampton vs my brothers favourite Manchester United.

Southampton 3-1 Man Utd.
    Southampton were 3-0 up at half time and crusing, Man Utd were struggling in their "unlucky" grey away shirts. The second half commenced, but wait Man Utd are now wearing blue?!?? Southampton win the game, but the post match interviews were all about the change in strip. "My players couldn't see each other in the grey strip" was the Man Utd managers excuse. Priceless.

Southampton 6-3 Man Utd.
    I was at a game in Aberdeen watching a dreary 1-1 tie with Kilmarnock and listening on the radio to the Southampton match commentary. When Southampton hit their 4th I jumped out of me seat, cheering wildly, generally going ballistic. When I stopped cheering I looked around and most of the stand I was in were staring at me as if to say "what the heckis he getting so excited about, this game is rubbish".

Must be Single mberube is on a distinguished road mberube's Avatar
    Being a hard-core Montreal fan I was fortunate enough to have ticket for the cup game against LA in MTL. What a thrill.

I also loved to see Canada (Male and female teams) win the 2002 Olympics.

Canada dominating the World juniors from 1993 to 1997. What a remarkable stretch.
    Strive for perfection, but never expect it!

Golf Canada Rules Official L4 LobWedge is on a distinguished road LobWedge's Avatar
    Watching the Leafs spank the Sens every year in the playoffs...
    When applying the Rules, you follow them line by line. You don't read between them.

Quote Originally Posted by LobWedge
    Ouch! Someone should start a worst sporting memories thread. You could add that after the leafs (or should it be leaves?) have their "cup final" against the Sens they always go on to lose horribly to Philly (or in some cases Carolina...ouch).

Must be Single mberube is on a distinguished road mberube's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by LobWedge
    If they apply the rules correctly this year, buy buy leafs. That’s the only way those guys can skate, holding on to the Sens !!!

Mike
    Strive for perfection, but never expect it!

3 Wood Evil Chris is on a distinguished road Evil Chris's Avatar
    I have many, but a couple that spring to mind:

Joe Carter's world series winning home run.
    The entire 1993 Campbell Conference final. (Toronto / LA)
    [url=http://www.zeemine.com/]Zeemine[/url]

Quote Originally Posted by mberube
    If they apply the rules correctly this year, buy buy leafs. That’s the only way those guys can skate, holding on to the Sens !!!

Mike
    That is a nice picture of what a typical leafs fan looks like. Well done.

Thread Information