CorporateGolfXtra 2023
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    Golf Pig of the Year 09, 10, 11 Marcos is on a distinguished road Marcos's Avatar

Worst starting hole in Ottawa Gatineau

Since we where talking about Pineview number one hole, i decided to ask what your opinion of the worst starting hole in the region. My vote is my old stomping grounds Buckingham. I hate the first hole with a passion, O.B. left side, you never have a good lie, its short but very narrow when hitting your second shot, trees come into play both sides. Lets hear some of your not so favourite ones.:

Medalist imozzie is on a distinguished road imozzie's Avatar
    First hole at Whitetail. Will never understand what the course architect was thinking making the first hole a par 3 over a gully. Normally, you want to get the crowd stretched out....not stacked up???
    "If profanity had any influence on the flight of the ball, the game of golf would be a lot easier than it is" - Horace Hutchinson (1903)

Moderator Big Johnny69 is on a distinguished road Big Johnny69's Avatar
    Forever stuck between single digit and trunk slammer!
    I'll mention it again, Loch March. The average golfer slices the ball and nothing says slow opening hole like a huge pond all the way down the right side.
    "A life lived in fear of the new and the untried is not a life lived to its fullest." M.Pare 10/09/08

Moderator Team Match Play Champ 2013, 2014 BogeyGolf is on a distinguished road BogeyGolf's Avatar
    I will say Nation No.1

Although, Whitetail starting with a Par 3 seems strange....

Shagging Balls dmartin is on a distinguished road
    the new worst may be Pineview... opening the right woods to all those slicers mentioned above.
    Provisionals and mulligans should be epidemic.

We short hitters sadly will lay up...

Uber Poster Paulio is on a distinguished road Paulio's Avatar
    Equinelle #1 drives me crazy. Beautiful hole, just not ready for it on the days first shot. My misses are always left and I'm a first tee jitters guy. Not a good combo.

Again, very nice hole though.
    My name is Paul. And I'm a golfaholic.

Medalist cleek is on a distinguished road
    Metcalfe

Arrow shooter Chieflongtee is on a distinguished road Chieflongtee's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by dmartin View Post
    the new worst may be Pineview... opening the right woods to all those slicers mentioned above.

Thought there were red stakes on the right. No?
    Live as if you were to die tomorrow. Learn as if you were to live forever.
    Mahatma Gandhi

Im a fixture here Leftymoose is on a distinguished road Leftymoose's Avatar
    I would second that eQuinelle #1 is a fantastic hole, but should not be the first hole on the course. I love the hole but feel as though golfers can't do it justice on #1
    I like to call it a power fade

5 Wood Pine View is on a distinguished road Pine View's Avatar
    The woods have always been marked as a hazard. It is impossible to play out of there due to the rocky gully. A quick penalty drop and you are on your way.

Quote Originally Posted by dmartin View Post

This is not the Pine View you remember from years gone by. Come back and see what we have done and what we have in store for the future - www.pineview.com

Must be Single dbleber is on a distinguished road dbleber's Avatar
    Whitetail. Starting on a par 3 is brutal

Posting Sensei justsomeguy is on a distinguished road
    Quote Originally Posted by BogeyGolf View Post
    I will say Nation No.1

Although, Whitetail starting with a Par 3 seems strange....
    Chateau Cartier starts with a Par 3 now. La Cite in Hawkesbury starts with two par 3`s - now THAT is strange! But I don`t really have a problem with any of them.

I`m not a big fan of the opening hole at Metcalfe. Its too early in the round to demand two precision shots to the green. I also dislike the first hole at Arnprior (now Sand Point) - both when I`m on the first tee and also when I`m playing the 9th hole!

Hall of Fame jeffc is on a distinguished road jeffc's Avatar
    Stonebridge #1 always gets me. Either left into the rough/hills or right into the water. Not having a range anymore makes it even harder for your first swing of the day. It's not the worst but if you are looking to get the pace moving right away then its not ideal. Oh, and its followed by one of the toughest par 3's in the city.
    I got a fever. And the only prescription is more golf equipment.

Shagging Balls dmartin is on a distinguished road
    Thanks Pineview !!

never been up that far.... Hit an Honest 200-215 with driver
    and will continue to hit #4 hybrid off this tee.

Nice to see the progressive changes you've made so far.
    A bit surprised that with your reduced cutting to define fairways which I happen to like
    hole #8 requires a different line off the tee for me.
    The ball was getting tired anyway.
    keep doing what your doing ..

Playing Winter Rules huge21 is on a distinguished road
    just an update on La Cite in Hawkesbury, last year they have made changes to the second hole to make it a par 4 which I think is a lot better than starting with two par 3's in a row and I do agree that #1 at Equinelle is a pain, so is the one at Metcalfe, like justsomeguy said, you need to start your round with 2 good shots and if not you might post a big score on that hole

Golf Pig of the Year 09, 10, 11 Marcos is on a distinguished road Marcos's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by cleek View Post
    Metcalfe
    Agree on this one too.

Moderator Team Match Play Champ 2013, 2014 BogeyGolf is on a distinguished road BogeyGolf's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by jeffc View Post
    Stonebridge #1 always gets me. Either left into the rough/hills or right into the water. Not having a range anymore makes it even harder for your first swing of the day. It's not the worst but if you are looking to get the pace moving right away then its not ideal. Oh, and its followed by one of the toughest par 3's in the city.
    Can't be that tough of a Par 3...Ace boy...LOL

Consistently present SnazzyD is on a distinguished road
    Quote Originally Posted by Leftymoose View Post
    I would second that eQuinelle #1 is a fantastic hole, but should not be the first hole on the course. I love the hole but feel as though golfers can't do it justice on #1
    Couldn't agree more. I've played there half a dozen times or so and I made it across the water on #1 for the FIRST time last week. It's not a hard shot, but I never have time to warm up at the range before I put that first swing on the ball and I'm the type of golfer who needs a few holes to get into the groove (sometimes 9 or more!).

I'd vote for flipping the front and back 9s, since #10 is a nice easy hole to start out with (birdied it last week) and #9 can be a pretty challenging home hole.

Hall of Fame jeffc is on a distinguished road jeffc's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by SnazzyD View Post
    Couldn't agree more. I've played there half a dozen times or so and I made it across the water on #1 for the FIRST time last week. It's not a hard shot, but I never have time to warm up at the range before I put that first swing on the ball and I'm the type of golfer who needs a few holes to get into the groove (sometimes 9 or more!).

I'd vote for flipping the front and back 9s, since #10 is a nice easy hole to start out with (birdied it last week) and #9 can be a pretty challenging home hole.
    There has been some talk of flipping the 9's but with the new clubhouse being built overlooking the current 18 I am not sure that will happen now. Last year I played it in reverse and was +2 going into 7,8,9 and went +5 on those 3 holes so it does make things interesting.
    I got a fever. And the only prescription is more golf equipment.

Need a Caddy jmwhite is on a distinguished road jmwhite's Avatar
    Not a fan of starting holes where you can't even see the first green.

#1 at Nation. Every time I play it conservative I'm long and hitting my second shot from left side slope. Next time I'm cutting the corner by going over the trees....the starter guy always talks me out of it.

#1 Montebello, having to hit blindly over the mound with an audience and no warmup is always interesting.

Quote Originally Posted by jmwhite View Post
    Not a fan of starting holes where you can't even see the first green.

#1 at Nation. Every time I play it conservative I'm long and hitting my second shot from left side slope. Next time I'm cutting the corner by going over the trees....the starter guy always talks me out of it.

#1 Montebello, having to hit blindly over the mound with an audience and no warmup is always interesting.
    Good example of 2 more bad ones.

In the Zone 1800Duffers is on a distinguished road 1800Duffers's Avatar
    eQuinelle has changed the first tee to #10 several times to encourage golfers to use the range. The final plan is too keep the front and back nines the way they were designed so the club house faces the finishing hole.

Scratch Player Gobble_It is on a distinguished road Gobble_It's Avatar
    #1 Canadian West...Pinch by the cart path on the right..go too much left , you stuck with the trees ..never hit well with this hole to start the round

Actually I prefer Nation and Metcalfe #1..force you to hit iron and be smooth..
    Good when your warm-up is basically a run from the clubhouse to the first tee

7 Iron sliceleft is on a distinguished road
    Smuggler's Glen offers an almost-blind first shot over a ravine. I like it, but I have fed the gods a lot of balls on that hole.

3 Wood MarcArt is on a distinguished road MarcArt's Avatar
    Metcafle No. 1... Why is that one there, it took me years to get past it successfully and without fear..

Now, if we are extending this to an understanding of worst being the toughest, then here is an excerpt of a description of my round at the Mississippi Golf Club when I broke 80 for the first time on that course. I described each hole in detail, from the whites, and No.1 at Mississippi is a confounding hole to say the least. Hope everyone enjoys this...

The first hole is the awkwardly long 383 yard, uphill par 4. As one of the most difficult holes on the course, and the third most difficult rating overall, it makes starting out that much more difficult given its many challenges. I would add that it is harder than the rating suggests. From the white tees the fairway is flanked by a line of mature cedar trees on both the left and right sides. Though it is a generous fairway to hit out to, if the drive is short, or if you are not slightly right of centre, the second shot will be obstructed by the trees on the right. The key to the tee shot is reaching as far up towards the top of the long sloping hill. This hill rises from the stream that crosses some fifteen yards in front of the tee box.
    To reach the top demands the equivalent of a 250 yard drive, especially if attaining the preferred right of centre ball position, and from where access to the green can be most easily made from the top of the hill. At that point the fairway narrows, the tree lines end and the hole opens up slightly to a wide approach area on the right and a new line of irregular trees obstructing the left side. The trees leading in towards the green can affect the outcome of approaches where long drives that are too far left of centre end with restricted views of the green.
    Approach shots coming from ball positions that are results of tee shots at the top of the hill that unfortunately end up anywhere left of centre do take a toll. From that point inward to the green, the fairway is guarded on the left by the line of trees mentioned; trees that were seemingly planted at angle to the natural tendency of the hole and one might consider these trees out of place in relation to the first portion of the fairway. From what I have been told, according to the original layout of the hole, the approach was configured differently at one time. Approaches to the green coming instead from the right hand side of the trees defining the fairway out from the tee area. This explains the awkwardness of the line of trees on the left near the hole. Simply stated, the current hole configuration ends with a mini dog-leg left as the fairway turns toward the hole.
    In any case, for my drive, after what appeared to be a long drive, the slightly drawn tee shot ended successfully just within the slim margin of right of centre and was almost blocked by the trees to the left approaching the green. I was just outside 150 yards from the green.
    A final note on the angle from the green for the ideal position, there is less than a 10 degree avenue into which tee shots must land to get the ideal line in. There is an alternative to this though, that being to drive the ball off the tee to the right of the cedars on the right. That too takes a long drive, but is an option… though not easy done either. Being a little left of the ideal position, I had most, but not all the green in view, so anything hit to the left ran the risk of getting caught by the left trees. So accuracy was needed to safely reach the green.
    The familiar head-on wind made me club up and use a 6 iron to account for both the wind and what is a noticeably uphill second shot. Good contact with the 6 iron and a very straight shot towards the left centre pin placement left me short on the apron in front of the green. I chipped to the uphill position of the pin, which was approximately 50 feet away, but came up short, leaving me with a 15 footer, having missed the putt, I put in the 3 footer for a bogie.

Tough Hole.
    Last edited by MarcArt; 04-24-2017 at 10:06 PM.

3 Iron spuds is on a distinguished road spuds's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by imozzie View Post
    First hole at Whitetail. Will never understand what the course architect was thinking making the first hole a par 3 over a gully. Normally, you want to get the crowd stretched out....not stacked up???
    You stole my thunder,I was going to say exactly the same..

Arrow shooter Chieflongtee is on a distinguished road Chieflongtee's Avatar
    Originally Posted by imozzie
    Perhaps they are in the business of selling refurbished balls

On to the opposite. What is the easiest starting hole? Arimac and executive courses excluded.
    Live as if you were to die tomorrow. Learn as if you were to live forever.
    Mahatma Gandhi

Albatross HoganWoods is on a distinguished road HoganWoods's Avatar
    Metcalfe #1 for me also. It has no options at all, cutting the corner is not really dooable, unlike Nation where you can drive the green but must thread the needle to do it.

Champion goochy is on a distinguished road goochy's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Big Johnny69 View Post
    I'll mention it again, Loch March. The average golfer slices the ball and nothing says slow opening hole like a huge pond all the way down the right side.
    This is actually my favourite opening hole in the city and one of my favourite par 4s....and the first at Equinelle would also be on my top ten list. Taste is a funny thing. Both these holes are tough but certainly not unfair and I don't think 1 at LM would slow anyone up. The right side is a lake legitimately red staked. If you soak one off the tee stroll down, drop one and hit. What's slow is when there is forest (like Canadian) and everyone spends 5 mins looking for it. It's pretty obvious if you put one in the water at LM.
    Also why shouldn't the first hole be tough...warming up is what the range is for
    Personally I find those two opening holes really focus me.
    I would think a "worst opening hole" would be one with no options or blind....I love montebello but the first hole there is very underwhelming with a short blind tee shot. Also as many have mentioned, Metcalfe and I would add 1 East at Emerald Links

Making Cuts habsfan is on a distinguished road habsfan's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by MarcArt View Post
    Metcafle No. 1... Why is that one there, it took me years to get past it successfully and without fear..

Now, if we are extending this to an understanding of worst being the toughest, then here is an excerpt of a description of my round at the Mississippi Golf Club when I broke 80 for the first time on that course. I described each hole in detail, from the whites, and No.1 at Mississippi is a confounding hole to say the least. Hope everyone enjoys this...

The first hole is the awkwardly long 383 yard, uphill par 4. As one of the most difficult holes on the course, and the third most difficult rating overall, it makes starting out that much more difficult given its many challenges. I would add that it is harder than the rating suggests. From the white tees the fairway is flanked by a line of mature cedar trees on both the left and right sides. Though it is a generous fairway to hit out to, if the drive is short, or if you are not slightly right of centre, the second shot will be obstructed by the trees on the right. The key to the tee shot is reaching as far up towards the top of the long sloping hill. This hill rises from the stream that crosses some fifteen yards in front of the tee box.
    To reach the top demands the equivalent of a 250 yard drive, especially if attaining the preferred right of centre ball position, and from where access to the green can be most easily made from the top of the hill. At that point the fairway narrows, the tree lines end and the hole opens up slightly to a wide approach area on the right and a new line of irregular trees obstructing the left side. The trees leading in towards the green can affect the outcome of approaches where long drives too far left of centre end with restricted views of the green.
    Approach shots coming from ball positions that are results of tee shots at the top of the hill that unfortunately end up anywhere left of centre do take a toll. From that point inward to the green, the fairway is guarded on the left by the line of trees mentioned; trees that were seemingly planted at angle to the natural tendency of the hole and one might consider these trees out of place in relation to the first portion of the fairway. From what I have been told, according to the original layout of the hole, the approach was configured differently at one time. Approaches to the green coming instead from the right hand side of the trees defining the fairway out from the tee area. This explains the awkwardness of the line of trees on the left near the hole. Simply stated, the current hole configuration ends with a mini dog-leg left as the fairway turns toward the hole.
    In any case, for my drive, after what appeared to be a long drive, the slightly drawn tee shot ended successfully just within the slim margin of right of centre and was almost blocked by the trees to the left approaching the green. I was just outside 150 yards from the green.
    A final note on the angle from the green for the ideal position, there is less than a 10 degree avenue into which tee shots must land to get the ideal line in. There is an alternative to this though, that being to drive the ball off the tee to the right of the cedars on the right. That too takes a long drive, but is an option… though not easy done either. Being a little left of the ideal position, I had most, but not all the green in view, so anything hit to the left ran the risk of getting caught by the left trees. So accuracy was needed to safely reach the green.
    The familiar head-on wind made me club up and use a 6 iron to account for both the wind and what is a noticeably uphill second shot. Good contact with the 6 iron and a very straight shot towards the left centre pin placement left me short on the apron in front of the green. I chipped to the uphill position of the pin, which was approximately 50 feet away, but came up short, leaving me with a 15 footer, having missed the putt, I put in the 3 footer for a bogie.

Tough Hole.
    Such a long write up for an easy hole, go right of the trees and its a straight hole and about 30yds shorter. I had 138yds left from the blues on Saturday and I'm in no way considered a long hitter.

Thread Information