CorporateGolfXtra 2024
+ Reply to Thread
    9 Iron Jason Moreau is on a distinguished road Jason Moreau's Avatar

Playing Whistle Bear on Sunday

I'm off to Kitchener for the long weekend to visit some family. On Sunday I plan to play Whistle Bear. It looks like an amazing course. The CPGA championship is held at this course. Check out the web site and tell me what you think. They have video fly overs of each hole. http://www.whistlebear.ca/WB.htm

bbad
    You'll love this course...imaculate condition (not long even from the TIPS.....LOL 7400+ yrds - yikes). Rough is very penal, bunkers are VERY strategically placed and the greens are very fast. Last time I played there, the greens were running about 11-12. They're true and undulated.

If you like playing stonebridge, then you will absolutely love this course. Course looks like a bombers paradise; looks can be deceiving. If you want to use the big stick off the tee, then be prepared to dig the ball our of 3-4" rough and make sure your fairway bunker game is pretty decent.

Like you, my parents live in Cambridge (as did I until I moved here in '92) I am miffed that they now have PGA quality course in the area....Hey Dad, I'm coming back to visit ya because I missed you soooooo much. Wanna play golf again???? C'mon, 54 a day won't kill ya......LOL

Have fun and bring LOTS of balls.

Hall of Fame jeffc is on a distinguished road jeffc's Avatar
    I've played the front 9 (twice, the back wasn't finished yet), just after it opened. Very Stonebridge-ish if you want to compare it to something local. Very nice course but I'm not sure it's worth what they charge (especially for the area). I'm from the area as well, but the price of it usually keeps me away now. The director of golf at WB is acutally an old classmate of mine. I play Rebel Creek and Grey Silo mostly when I go down there but also play Galt CC a lot as my dad is a member. If you ever have the chance to play there, do it. It's an awesome course.

Quote Originally Posted by jeffc
    I've played the front 9 (twice, the back wasn't finished yet), just after it opened. Very Stonebridge-ish if you want to compare it to something local. Very nice course but I'm not sure it's worth what they charge (especially for the area). I'm from the area as well, but the price of it usually keeps me away now. The director of golf at WB is acutally an old classmate of mine. I play Rebel Creek and Grey Silo mostly when I go down there but also play Galt CC a lot as my dad is a member. If you ever have the chance to play there, do it. It's an awesome course.
    Alright thanks. Can't wait to finish work on Friday so I can start heading down! I'm actually going to go out around 3ish so the green fee is $60. I'll check out the courses you mentioned

and if you only have time to play 9, check out River Edge, near Sportsworld. A nice little 9 hole track that is well designed and taken care of. It's owned by my former neighbours.

and if you only have time to play 9, check out River Edge, near Sportsworld. A nice little 9 hole track that is well designed and taken care of. It's owned by my former neighbours.

I'm actually going to play there on Saturday night with a younger cousin that's starting out in the game. I did a search on the net of the golf courses in that Area and that's the first one that I saw.

Scratch Player byerxa is on a distinguished road byerxa's Avatar
    Played Whistle Bear last year. Loved the course (helped that I had almost a career best). Somewhat like Stonebridge off the tee (except can play waaaayyyy longer depending on where you tee it up). However, I found the greens not as crazy. Although it can play almost 7700 yards from the tips, I found playing from the ~6500 yd tees did not degrade the hole designs, i.e., the designers did a good job of designing every tee location (unlike some other courses where the design is from the tips and other tees are after thoughts).

I am on vacation next week in the TO area and my dad and I are thinking of going again. Another good KW area course that I played Monday afternoon was Grey Silo. Again much like Stonebridge (6500 from tips) but without the circus greens. Was in great shape, and a very good value at $45 twilight.

Quote Originally Posted by byerxa
    Played Whistle Bear last year. Loved the course (helped that I had almost a career best). Somewhat like Stonebridge off the tee (except can play waaaayyyy longer depending on where you tee it up). However, I found the greens not as crazy. Although it can play almost 7700 yards from the tips, I found playing from the ~6500 yd tees did not degrade the hole designs, i.e., the designers did a good job of designing every tee location (unlike some other courses where the design is from the tips and other tees are after thoughts).

I am on vacation next week in the TO area and my dad and I are thinking of going again. Another good KW area course that I played Monday afternoon was Grey Silo. Again much like Stonebridge (6500 from tips) but without the circus greens. Was in great shape, and a very good value at $45 twilight.
    Theirs just so many beautiful courses in the World to play even just in Canada alone. It makes me cry to think I won't be able to see 99.9% of them.

Those courses really nice. Now I wish I took more time off work. I want to get greedy and play them all

Go for it!

Rebel Creek is partially owned by a couple of NHLers. It's designed such that the first 6 holes are relatively easy, the next 6 harder, and the last 6 killer. They had a deal last year, book a 4some and pay $240 which included golf, cart and range balls. They also had their pro out on the range offering free tips.

Grey Silo is owned by the City of Waterloo and a fantastic track. The only problem is it is built in Environmentally Sensative area and the walk between #1 and #2 is a long one as well as between #17 and #18. On a hot day it's a killer since you won't find a tree in sight, and thus no shade.

Played RiverEdge today. Really nice lil par 35 9 hole course. Really good for iron play. Wish I would have shot a bit better. I was 2 over for the day. Whistle Bear tomorrow. Just came back from the course and made a tee time. I'm so exited. It looks amazing, the Nation Wide tour was their last week. The course is still playing like it did for that tourny. Should be fun. over 7000 yards from the tips.

Thread Information