CorporateGolfXtra 2023
+ Reply to Thread
Page 8 of 8 FirstFirst ... 4 5 6 7 8
    Seasoned Veteran donquijote is on a distinguished road donquijote's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by ladygolfer13 View Post
    Just played Nation today. All greens have have been punched and not filled. Some fairways punched and hole 16 is being upgraded so you can only play 17 holes. And all for regular full price. No discount
    Thanks for the info
    We just canceled our tee time that was for tomorrow afternoon
    Cheers

Bogie ladygolfer13 is on a distinguished road ladygolfer13's Avatar
    Your welcome. 16 is looking good and think will be much better when ready to play next year. Played Hammond today in great condition but they closed early to punch greens

Singles Match Play Champ 2009 Team Match Play Champ 2013, 2014 leftylucas is on a distinguished road leftylucas's Avatar
    Manderley conditions not great, a few greens still had large spots that were never repaired, tee boxes atrocious, sand traps left to sit after who knows how long, unrelated the power cart felt like the front wheels were going to come off but the cart guy "yeah, it's ok" felt like the wheel of a bumper car, brakes did not lock so you had to watch where you parked it. $20/rider you would expect a decent cart. All that being said t's obvious very little money is being put into maintenance of the course. Terricble. It's too bad because I don't mind the layout. I will never go back there.

I sent them my evalutation of what I experienced and I hope to get an answer. IMHO there is no excuse for the tee boxes, sand traps and greens not to be maintained, I mean that's what you put money out to play on. The tee boxes had grass that was longer than the rough. I don't get it.
    Lefty Lucas
    I am abidextrous, I once golfed right-handed and now I shoot left-handed just as badly!

Caddy Gofish2 is on a distinguished road Gofish2's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by leftylucas View Post
    Manderley conditions not great, a few greens still had large spots that were never repaired, tee boxes atrocious, sand traps left to sit after who knows how long, unrelated the power cart felt like the front wheels were going to come off but the cart guy "yeah, it's ok" felt like the wheel of a bumper car, brakes did not lock so you had to watch where you parked it. $20/rider you would expect a decent cart. All that being said t's obvious very little money is being put into maintenance of the course. Terricble. It's too bad because I don't mind the layout. I will never go back there.

I sent them my evalutation of what I experienced and I hope to get an answer. IMHO there is no excuse for the tee boxes, sand traps and greens not to be maintained, I mean that's what you put money out to play on. The tee boxes had grass that was longer than the rough. I don't get it.
    I haven't played there since summer but certainly sounds like it has gone down-hill.

Singles Match Play Champ 2009 Team Match Play Champ 2013, 2014 leftylucas is on a distinguished road leftylucas's Avatar
    It was a beautiful day to play in any case
    Lefty Lucas
    I am abidextrous, I once golfed right-handed and now I shoot left-handed just as badly!

Hall of Fame jeffc is on a distinguished road jeffc's Avatar
    Anderson in good shape but they punched their greens recently so are pretty bumpy. Despite a full course today we finished in 4:15. Played in short sleeves and shorts. Beauty day.
    I got a fever. And the only prescription is more golf equipment.

5 Wood Grabster is on a distinguished road
    eQuinelle. Perfect fast greens. Like all year. Great conditions all around.
    Marshes. Good. Fairways, bunkers very good. Greens punched about 3 weeks ago. Still bumpy a bit.

Hall of Fame jeffc is on a distinguished road jeffc's Avatar
    just had a look and see that Loch March is already closed for the season.
    I got a fever. And the only prescription is more golf equipment.

1 Iron john8888 is on a distinguished road
    Eagle Creek and Hautes Plaines close Oct 30

GreyHawk (both courses) and Kanata close Nov6

Sad to see the season slip away

3 Iron eez is on a distinguished road eez's Avatar

Sounds like not much has changed since I was there in June. Back then there were mounds of sand (dirt?) near the traps which gave me the impression that improvements were happening, but as it was, the course was sub-standard. Have to believe they are just hanging on until a housing developer buys the place.
    You always hit a good shot on 18 to keep you coming back.

Too bad, it's pretty obvious when you see the state of the course that there is a serious problem.
    Lefty Lucas

2 Iron scrollerpete is on a distinguished road
    Played Smugglers yesterday, perfect weather, course in fantastic shape and the greens smooth and fast, pool table top speed. Shot my age so a great day.
    scrollerpete

In the Zone 1800Duffers is on a distinguished road 1800Duffers's Avatar
    Canadian is in great shape and not crowded today

3 Iron eez is on a distinguished road eez's Avatar
    Renfrew issued an email saying their last day open would be Sunday Nov. 6th.
    You always hit a good shot on 18 to keep you coming back.

Posting Sensei justsomeguy is on a distinguished road
    Metcalfe was also in great shape and not crowded today. Their annual Halloween tournament will mean both courses are filled up tomorrow, but I would expect another week (maybe 2) of golf after that before they close for the season.

5 Wood Pine View is on a distinguished road Pine View's Avatar
    Pine View Championship Course will be aerated on Monday and Tuesday this week. 9 holes will be closed each day and all 18 hole rounds will replay the same 9 holes twice.
    This is not the Pine View you remember from years gone by. Come back and see what we have done and what we have in store for the future - www.pineview.com

Gap Wedge CrowdPleaser is on a distinguished road
    Too bad, it's pretty obvious when you see the state of the course that there is a serious problem.
    There is no sense of direction and with the years of neglect is unsalvageable. From my experience playing the course it seems that projects are started but never fully completed. They have a range but it hasn't been open in years. The place should be doing well financially with Barrhaven and Manotick growing but its reputation is hurting itself.

Lob Wedge 613golfer is on a distinguished road
    Quote Originally Posted by CrowdPleaser View Post
    There is no sense of direction and with the years of neglect is unsalvageable. From my experience playing the course it seems that projects are started but never fully completed. They have a range but it hasn't been open in years. The place should be doing well financially with Barrhaven and Manotick growing but its reputation is hurting itself.
    I remember playing at Manderley as a kid and it was never a bad course. It wasn't good by any means, but conditions were always consistent, grass was mowed, and greens were slow but at least similar.

I hadn't been back for many years until last year. Wow...was I ever in for a shock. You could tell that fairways weren't cut because there were tall weeds growing in the middle of the fairway. Grass was burnt in many places. Actual grass coverage was extremely thin, and very hard to determine where the fairway ended and the rough began.

There is zero effort going into the maintenance of this course. I am sure that the few workers left there are overworked and underpaid, so they probably don't care. And I am sure the owners don't care about it all because it is very expensive for what it is, and the tee sheet is still busy.

Completely agree that Manderley is unsalvageable. It would take years and a lot of money to refurbish the course. It's too bad because the layout isn't half bad either.

Lob Wedge DJC is on a distinguished road
    The original 18-hole Manderley layout was designed in the early 1960s by Howard Watson, described in a Maclean's magazine article in 1949 as Stanley Thompson's "principal associate." They worked together on most of Thompson's golf course projects during the last five years of Thompson's life (late 40s and early 50s). Don Ferne added Manderley's North nine in the early 2000s, claiming to have used as his guide the principles evident in Watson's original layout.

Thread Information