CorporateGolfXtra 2023
+ Reply to Thread
    3 Wood fourlights is on a distinguished road fourlights's Avatar

The end of the Covid golf boom?

I've played five rounds so far this year, including today.The golf courses were almost empty every time, even today despite glorious weather. It's still early in the season but with rampant inflation including the high cost of gas, and the end of covid restrictions, I feel like a lot of casual players will not play as much this year. It will be interesting to watch especially at the courses where green fees have increased substantially.

Hall of Fame jeffc is on a distinguished road jeffc's Avatar
    I was noticing that as I was booking for Thursday. Amazing weather this week but Meadows tee sheet was wide open. They got greedy this year and wanted $400 up front to join their men's night so we said see ya later. Can't imagine too many people paying that.

I think the price of gas is really going to factor into people's decision making processes this summer.
    I got a fever. And the only prescription is more golf equipment.

Moderator Team Match Play Champ 2013, 2014 BogeyGolf is on a distinguished road BogeyGolf's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by jeffc View Post
    I was noticing that as I was booking for Thursday. Amazing weather this week but Meadows tee sheet was wide open. They got greedy this year and wanted $400 up front to join their men's night so we said see ya later. Can't imagine too many people paying that.

I think the price of gas is really going to factor into people's decision making processes this summer.
    I noticed that as well when I went to book for Thursday at the Meadows...I saw the price for Men's night as well, with the money up front, we used to pay each night we played when we arrived, last year they cancelled club championships due to lack of participation as well... sign of the times for the Meadows I guess

Golf Pig of the Year 09, 10, 11 Marcos is on a distinguished road Marcos's Avatar
    Buckingham was pretty full yesterday but they do have a strong membership. Hardly a parking spot. I guess it will vary from course to course.

Quote Originally Posted by BogeyGolf View Post
    I noticed that as well when I went to book for Thursday at the Meadows...I saw the price for Men's night as well, with the money up front, we used to pay each night we played when we arrived, last year they cancelled club championships due to lack of participation as well... sign of the times for the Meadows I guess
    5 years ago men's night was great but got progressively worse every year. They used to get about 80 guys out, last year like 15. And no way I am paying up front for cart, meal and prize $. Not many people are going to be able to make it every week so you are paying for nothing some weeks. It works out to $79 a week to play golf. We will just go play there if we want for $39.

Arrow shooter Chieflongtee is on a distinguished road Chieflongtee's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by jeffc View Post

Maybe if you own a pick up

But that will also restrict traveling/trips so more people might play golf as an alternative.
    Live as if you were to die tomorrow. Learn as if you were to live forever.
    Mahatma Gandhi

Caddy slash is on a distinguished road
    Got a eg golf membership on top of my 20 games membership at my own club to play clubs like montebello, smugglers, upper canada etc in November before the gas hike. Wrong move. Lol

Quote Originally Posted by Chieflongtee View Post
    Maybe if you own a pick up

But that will also restrict traveling/trips so more people might play golf as an alternative.
    That or play closer to home.

It cost me $112 last week to fill my mid size SUV which is actually pretty good on gas. I can get 650km on the highway with a fill up.

But ya, filling a pick-up is going to be $200.

We will still do a couple of trips (Tremblant, Ottawa Valley) but will carpool it.

Just checked the Meadows for Sat morning and lots of tee times available. Last year you would struggle to find a tee time on the weekend mornings and after work
    Last edited by jeffc; 05-10-2022 at 08:48 AM.

Monday Qualifier 314314 is on a distinguished road
    I have 14 games so far but I noticed the weather was not cooperating at the start by being cold, windy and rainy. Once we get better weather like last 2-3 days, people will start getting out more (I hope for those who own courses).

However, I have to agree that gas prices and inflation are making groceries, utilities more expensive so golf is a second thought. The higher cost of living is making people be more discreet with their expenses.

For those courses that unreasonable hiked all those prices (including some that offered limited memberships) they will feel the pinch with higher cost plus less customers. I hear that some courses were charging full rate early on the season way ahead of decent conditions.

I will probably stick to my home course for now and wait for some of the green fees to drop. For now, I just focus on putting gas on my truck and make my own sandwiches/snacks instead of buying at the course. That extra $10 a day for the snacks go into the gas bill now...and I am trying to save my bar tab for later.

Quote Originally Posted by fourlights View Post
    I've played five rounds so far this year, including today. The golf courses were almost empty every time, even today despite glorious weather. It's still early in the season but with rampant inflation including the high cost of gas, and the end of covid restrictions, I feel like a lot of casual players will not play as much this year. It will be interesting to watch especially at the courses where green fees have increased substantially.

Pitching Wedge MS1 is on a distinguished road
    Interesting observation. Does feel easier to get tee times

Moderator Team Match Play Champ 2013, 2014 BogeyGolf is on a distinguished road BogeyGolf's Avatar
    Played the Meadows on Thursday, and the course was empty. Only 2 other people on the 9's we played...

Singles Match Play Champ 2012 Wilster is on a distinguished road Wilster's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by BogeyGolf View Post
    Played the Meadows on Thursday, and the course was empty. Only 2 other people on the 9's we played...
    I guess their mens night is a total bust
    Last edited by Wilster; 05-13-2022 at 01:13 PM.

4 Iron Hardcore is on a distinguished road

Pineview

Was there late afternoon yest and it was packed. Even parking was hard to find. I think that average folks are really watching their pennies these days and are choosing courses with price points that are a bit less painful.

Quote Originally Posted by Wilster View Post
    I guess their mens night is a total bust
    We started at 10am (we had 11am tee time, but they said we could go at 10am as there was nobody around), played 18, had lunch inside and went back out at 2pm for another 18, and finished at 5pm, we only saw 2 people on our 2nd 18 holes, it was eerily quiet for such a sunny warm day... last year it was packed during the days, and I rarely played as it was hard to get a tee time...

Shotmaker Johnyc is on a distinguished road
    So either the Meadows was packed and parking was hard to find or it was empty and there was nobody there….

3 Wood fourlights is on a distinguished road fourlights's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Johnyc View Post
    So either the Meadows was packed and parking was hard to find or it was empty and there was nobody there….
    Somebody is definitely mistaken....

3 Iron rad is on a distinguished road
    played meadows yesterday, was not that busy

Caddy Gofish2 is on a distinguished road Gofish2's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by fourlights View Post
    Somebody is definitely mistaken....
    One person was talking about Pineview being busy while the other was mentioning that Meadows being quiet. I don't see the issue but I am old and possibly not an authority on dysfunctional analysis

Thread Information