CorporateGolfXtra 2024
+ Reply to Thread

Hybrid View

Andru

Battle at the bridges

What a snorefest. I thought Big Horn was a better match play course. Thank goodness it's the last one. Only interesting person was Daly. Took out a driver and went for it. I give full marks to Tiger for bending the shaft a few times. It's too serious I prefer the Telus skins game with a lighter attitiude.

Their a bit stupid in a way. Why not make it stroke play so they know it will go 18 like shell's wonderful world of golf. Or skins.

Besides Faldo. ABC has the worst broadcast crew in golf.

Hopelessly Addicted fireice is on a distinguished road fireice's Avatar
    It was pretty boring to say the least, Daly was quiet, look tired and played like it also.(I guess he could use the excuse of the long flight from Germany, although Goosen was coming from the same tournament and he was played the best of the 4) Mickelson was the only chatty one but no one really going back at him. There was no real "wow" shots.

Fairway Junkie sharkshooter is on a distinguished road sharkshooter's Avatar
    One difference between Daly and Goosen is that Goosen missed the cut and Daly played 36 holes Sunday in contention.

Hopelessly Addicted Shivas Irons is on a distinguished road Shivas Irons's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Andru
    What a snorefest.
    Besides Faldo. ABC has the worst broadcast crew in golf.
    Right, and right again.
    The first 9 holes were absolutely brutal.
    One of the most moronic parts was the broadcast crew foaming about how the lights could light up several football fields, or a small village. This during a time when all our power grids are taxed to the limit. Thankfully Goosen ended it early.

Hopelessly Addicted broken27 is on a distinguished road broken27's Avatar
    Wow, I really enjoyed it. Thought that was a beautiful golf course, and even though nobody really played the lights out of the course, I enjoyed the golf as well.

FAR too many commercials though, and definitely boring commentary.

Dan
    [URL=http://www.sportsfiend.ca/]Sportsfiend.ca - Make You Opinion Into News...

Fairway Junkie dasnutz is on a distinguished road dasnutz's Avatar
    quite the personality on Woods... He is too serious for those type of events. The fans deserve to see these guys having fun and interacting with the crowd.

Daly's interview about how he warms up for big tournaments was hillarious. He said that he hits balls for 20 minutes, has 4 or 5 smokes and 3 diet cokes. Sometimes, he doesn't even warm up! He was saying that he did not warm up once while in Germany!

Competitor Hank Hill is on a distinguished road Hank Hill's Avatar
    Yeah wasn't great, noone really having a laugh. Take a look below in the similar threads section, this thread is almost identical to last years take on the event.

I think they should give all the winnings to charity though, 600,000 for one round of golf is really high. It might lighten them up a bit if they know that they are not trying to line their own pockets and whatever happens charity gets the cash.

Note: I do realise that some of the money from this event goes to charity.

Wannamaker mjf is on a distinguished road mjf's Avatar
    The PVR is the greatest invention ever for watching televised golf. I blew through the 3 hours of coverage in about 45 minutes. I got to see every shot and none of the fluff.

It wasn't very exciting though... but I was glad to see Tiger lose.

MJF

Championship Cup Eldred is on a distinguished road Eldred's Avatar
    I heard Woods' winning from all exibitions and the December Target tournament would go to his foundation. Daly on the other hand, mentioned with all the ex-wives and kids, he needs to enter as many events where appearance fees are given out

Hall of Fame NoBack is on a distinguished road NoBack's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Eldred
    Daly on the other hand, mentioned with all the ex-wives and kids, he needs to enter as many events where appearance fees are given out
    LOL Daly is that kinda guy. He was joking I'm sure. They told a story about Daly after he won the PGA in 91. He won about $230,000 for his first big paycheck on tour. During the tournament some father of 2 little girls got hit by lightning and later died. JD heard this and gave the girls $30,000 for their educations. The girls are now doing great with one a doctor and the other going to medical school. They are going to meet in person for the first time next month. So good on him!
    I've spent most of my life golfing .... the rest I've just wasted"
    www.nationalcapitalgolftour.com

Hopelessly Addicted fireice is on a distinguished road fireice's Avatar
    Love my PVR too mjf, should of used it last night though and got more sleep.

Hopelessly Addicted broken27 is on a distinguished road broken27's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Steve Karam
    LOL Daly is that kinda guy. He was joking I'm sure. They told a story about Daly after he won the PGA in 91. He won about $230,000 for his first big paycheck on tour. During the tournament some father of 2 little girls got hit by lightning and later died. JD heard this and gave the girls $30,000 for their educations. The girls are now doing great with one a doctor and the other going to medical school. They are going to meet in person for the first time next month. So good on him!
    Ironically, that was my plan for putting my girls through school too! Damn!

Dan
    [URL=http://www.sportsfiend.ca/]Sportsfiend.ca - Make You Opinion Into News...

Championship Cup Eldred is on a distinguished road Eldred's Avatar
    ...and for us mere mortals, it'll take more than 13% of one week pay check!!!

Major Poster EDSGOLF is on a distinguished road
    I agree, boring, I almost switched channels to baseball
    http://www.EatDrinkSleepGolf.com
    Myrtle Beach Golf

Uber Poster LBH is on a distinguished road LBH's Avatar
    Battle of the boredom

Shagging Balls DavidY is on a distinguished road DavidY's Avatar
    I am wondering if the broadcasters were correct in saying the lots around the course were priced at $3.8 million US. Talk about pricey....if true, this makes the Vancouver and Toronto real estate markets look cheap in comparison.

Dave

Andru
    Quote Originally Posted by DavidY
    I am wondering if the broadcasters were correct in saying the lots around the course were priced at $3.8 million US. Talk about pricey....if true, this makes the Vancouver and Toronto real estate markets look cheap in comparison.

Dave
    There's some property in West Vancouver worth about 4+ million bucks. Also Bridle Path, forest hill, or Hogg's Hollow will run anywhere from 1,000,00 and up ...... way up.

Have a look at these if you want to fall off your chair. This is in Bridle Path Toronto

Bridle Path Homes for Sale

Way Beyond Help Colby is on a distinguished road Colby's Avatar
    The houses around Bighorn, the site of the last "Battle" are no cheapies either:

http://www.bighorngolf.com/cgi-bin/s...roperties.html

And if you own, then you can join Bighorn for 237,000USD initiations and 15K USD a year, plus whatever else they may charge.
    It could be that the purpose of your life is only to serve as a warning to others.
    Colby

Must be Single mberube is on a distinguished road mberube's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Colby
    The houses around Bighorn, the site of the last "Battle" are no cheapies either:

http://www.bighorngolf.com/cgi-bin/s...roperties.html

And if you own, then you can join Bighorn for 237,000USD initiations and 15K USD a year, plus whatever else they may charge.
    I have to change jobs. My house is smaller then there pool house.

You better play a lot of golf to justify that amount!!!
    Strive for perfection, but never expect it!

Hall of Fame spackler is on a distinguished road spackler's Avatar
    If you want to see expensive golf real estate, drop in the realty office at Pebble Beach. I think the townhouses were the low end at around $3M when I was there two years ago. Most of the houses were in the $15M range. And that stuff's cheap when you look at places in Aspen or Vail. Ranches in Jackson Wyoming go for $40-50M easy. And that's just the states, try London or Paris sometime.

Vancouver and Toronto are not in the same league. Just not enough truly wealthy people up here.

Andru
    Oh Yeah well they don't compete with the 100+ million dollar mansions in Saudi Arabia. Geez guys.

DavidY mentioned that the 3.8 million made Vancouver and Toronto look cheap I was displaying the fact that Both Vancouver and Toronto have their share of wealthy neighbourhoods not start a pissing contest.

Quote Originally Posted by spackler
    If you want to see expensive golf real estate, drop in the realty office at Pebble Beach. I think the townhouses were the low end at around $3M when I was there two years ago. Most of the houses were in the $15M range. And that stuff's cheap when you look at places in Aspen or Vail. Ranches in Jackson Wyoming go for $40-50M easy. And that's just the states, try London or Paris sometime.

Vancouver and Toronto are not in the same league. Just not enough truly wealthy people up here.

Hall of Fame spackler is on a distinguished road spackler's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Andru
    DavidY mentioned that the 3.8 million made Vancouver and Toronto look cheap I was displaying the fact that Both Vancouver and Toronto have their share of wealthy neighbourhoods not start a pissing contest.
    There are plenty of expensive properties in both TO and Van, hell there are $10M homes in Windsor Ontario, but look in equivilent neighbourhoods in LA or San Diego, and the houses are just going to be more. It's not a big deal, it's great in fact that we can lead the lifestyles we do at a comparitive bargain to similar places in the states.

Remember, these are essentially vacation properties. Aside from Whistler, there's no place in Canada where you're going to find that kind of dough being laid out for 'cottages'. Thank god.

Andru
    Quote Originally Posted by spackler
    There are plenty of expensive properties in both TO and Van, hell there are $10M homes in Windsor Ontario, but look in equivilent neighbourhoods in LA or San Diego, and the houses are just going to be more. It's not a big deal, it's great in fact that we can lead the lifestyles we do at a comparitive bargain to similar places in the states.

Remember, these are essentially vacation properties. Aside from Whistler, there's no place in Canada where you're going to find that kind of dough being laid out for 'cottages'. Thank god.
    I understand all of this. Believe me I'm not naive to believe otherwise. My point was I didn't want to derail the thread by starting a discussion on real estate. I was responding to DavidY's comment. I understand there's more prime real estate around the world. I was just illustrating that Tor and Van hold their own.

Way Beyond Help Colby is on a distinguished road Colby's Avatar
    I agree. My sister's place in West Van, a 50+ year old two bedroom bungalow, is worth well over 500K. My brother-in-law won't do any upgrades unless they really want it because when they sell it, it will just get bulldozed as it's the land not the house that worth the money.

And when I was at Pebble Beach in March, there were some townhouses on the 17 mile drive for less than !M, but they were few and far between. The cheapest houses were around 1.5, and they went up quickly from there. At least at Pebble, you don't have to own to play the course!
    It could be that the purpose of your life is only to serve as a warning to others.
    Colby

Andru
    Quote Originally Posted by Colby
    I agree. My sister's place in West Van, a 50+ year old two bedroom bungalow, is worth well over 500K. My brother-in-law won't do any upgrades unless they really want it because when they sell it, it will just get bulldozed as it's the land not the house that worth the money.

And when I was at Pebble Beach in March, there were some townhouses on the 17 mile drive for less than !M, but they were few and far between. The cheapest houses were around 1.5, and they went up quickly from there. At least at Pebble, you don't have to own to play the course!
    I just went to a real estate site and look at some property on pebble beach. There's a few in the 20-30 million range but for the most part they're about 2-8 million. That's on par with a 2300-6000 sqfoot home in west van or bridle path.

Shagging Balls DavidY is on a distinguished road DavidY's Avatar
    I wasn't sure if the US$3.8 million figure included the house....my guess is that it didn't since the lot under discussion was under construction....Phil had it in or near the lot in question late in the round.

Dave

Thread Information