CorporateGolfXtra 2023
+ Reply to Thread
    Sand Wedge Scotsman is on a distinguished road

Golf in Victoria BC?

Anyone played the Vancouver Island golf trail. Particularly interested in comments about the Victoria courses (Bear Mountain, Olympic View, Highland Park etc). Thinking about a late March trip.

Singles Match Play Champ 2009 Team Match Play Champ 2013, 2014 leftylucas is on a distinguished road leftylucas's Avatar
    Bear Mountain is a beast, pretty challenging but the view is spectacular, can't remember which tee box but it's at the top of the course. I also played Royal Colwood (Private but if you can get on it's amazing) and that one will test all your abilities. Not terribly long but the greens will make you pull your hair out. You really have to know where to place your approach shot or start adding up your 3 putts, highly recommended.

Crown Isle in Comox if you get that far is also a terrific layout with the mountains as a backdrop and eagles flying overhead
    Lefty Lucas
    I am abidextrous, I once golfed right-handed and now I shoot left-handed just as badly!

Champion goochy is on a distinguished road goochy's Avatar
    I'm heading out there for 9 days mid March and am aiming to play 4 or 5 rounds...will be happy to report back

Singles Match Play Champ 2009 Team Match Play Champ 2013, 2014 leftylucas is on a distinguished road leftylucas's Avatar
    If you get out to Campbell River Goochy you have to play Storey Creek, its a challenge but really great course, try to beat my 79!

https://storeycreek.bc.ca/
    Lefty Lucas
    I am abidextrous, I once golfed right-handed and now I shoot left-handed just as badly!

Had a great experience out West. Had a good range session at UBC course then played Langarra (which is a municipal course in Vancouver). It was very wet (there had been a ton of rain) but it was in decent condition and very very busy. It is one of 3 municipal course in Vancouver which are a great deal (jealous).
    Then over to the Island. After a couple of days in Tofino headed to Victoria. First played Pacific Highlands and absolutely LOVED this course. amazingly friendly and welcoming. 2 tier driving range which was fun. Course itself was very beautiful and in great shape with lots of interesting holes (No.5 is a tough fun hole). Highly recommended.
    Then off to Bear Mountain. (A Nicklaus Design) We actually stayed in the hotel on the course with a balcony overlooking The Mountain Course 18th green.
    We played The Mountain course on Thursday in the pouring rain and we had the place to ourselves. The level of service was exceptional and the guys in the proshop were excellent. It is a tough course. Really well bunkered with many forced carries and blind tee shots and despite the weather some stunning views. The greens (although wet) were excellent. It played long in the conditions and is a good test.
    We played The Valley course the next day in decent weather. It is surprisingly different. It is pretty much all in front of you and much easier from the tee but the greens are devilish! It is a course that will really test your short game and putting. The mounding around the greens is really well done so the breaks are very deceptive. My advice....locate the mountain, because no matter what is looks like the ball will break away from the mountain as it slows. Bear Mountain is expensive but very worth playing IMO.
    We also checked out Cordova Bay...again super friendly and very walkable and in great shape. We visited the pro shops and checked out Gorge Vale and Victoria GC too but didn't play them.
    All in all a great golf destination...enjoy. Please feel free to reach out if you want more inf0

Some pics from Victoria
    Attached Images

1 Iron john8888 is on a distinguished road
    love the pictures ....

Thread Information