+ Reply to Thread
    Competitor Hank Hill is on a distinguished road Hank Hill's Avatar

Have you met your goals yet?

Just wondering how everyone is fairing with the goals they set themselves in the "goals for the season thread".

mine were:

1) Consistantly break 100.

Done, last 5 rounds all under 100 .

2) Shoot at least 1 score in the 90-95 range.

Done, a 91, 92 and a 95 .

3) Play smarter, (know when to lay up or pitch out to safety and when to go for it)

Course management has been a lot better this year .

4) Less 3 and 4 putts.

Done, only 1 or 2 three putts per round now .

5) Turn doubles and triples into singles or better.

Making lots more bogies instead of triples and doubles .

6) More pars.

Lots more than last year, but no birdies yet to speak of (have been very close on a number of occasions though).

7) Learn how to get up and down from a bunker.

Still working on this, though I am at least getting the ball onto the green.

8) Enjoy every game I play regardless if I accomplish the above targets...golf is a game for life.

I love golf..........what more can I say?

Hall of Fame jvincent is on a distinguished road jvincent's Avatar
    I kept mine simple:

1. Get the index into single digits and keep it there.

So far so good, index is now 8.2 and has trended down since the beginning of the season.

2. Record an ace

No luck here yet. I have lipped two out, and had at least six really good chances. By really good I mean ball mark within 3 feet of the flag and the ball coming to rest within 3 feet on the other side of the hole. Unfortunately this goal will depend a lot on lady luck but at least I'm giving myself chances.

Practice Pig ironmaster15213 is on a distinguished road ironmaster15213's Avatar
    I'm doing great this year and beating most of my goals. goal 4 handicap actual 1.5 (4o+ rounds) F.I.R. 50% act. 49% (still a little wild) G.I.R. goal 65% act. 64.8% distance with driver goal 275 act. 281.4 (new driver) break 70 done twice birdies 17% act. 17.6% Hope I can hold it together till the end of the year outings. I hope everyone else is having a great year!!!!!!

Must be Single dbleber is on a distinguished road dbleber's Avatar
    Sort of;

Goals:

1) Keep my tempo for the whole season (Nope, this is the hardest thing in golf for me)

2) Break 80 consistantly (Yup!, funny now a 82+ gets me pissed off)

3) Get an ace (Close a few times but a birdie is still a birdie doesn't matter if you putt from 1" or 100', nothin like an ace)

4) make some eagles
    (Yup, not as many as I want but golf is a greedy game...I want...I want....I want...)

Uber Poster LBH is on a distinguished road LBH's Avatar
    1. Keep my handicap below 5
    So far so good but my index is at 4.9 right now - just on the edge - not playing well this year...

2. Play a lot of golf (that might be hard with the wedding preparation)
    Nope - not playing as much as last year - to be expected with the wedding - but playing more lately since preparation is going extremely well

3. Play some new courses
    Only new course this year: Château Montebello

4. Play another round under par (got my first one last year)
    Not yet - Came close though - An even par 72 with 4 birdies and an eagle - just too many bogeys in that round

5. Make the intersectional team again this year
    Argh! I didn't play well at all during the qualification rounds - Didn't even come close - Needed 2 rounds of 74 to make the team! Not easy but I know I can...
    Last edited by LBH; 07-25-2005 at 08:59 PM.

beatnik58
    Goals For 2005

1. Always under 90.

So far so good, only 2 of 45 rounds have been in the 90s.

2. Break 80 at least 1/2 the time.

Too ambitious: Only broke 80 3 times out of 45 rounds......personal best is 77. handicap index is now 11.7

3. Practice twice, Play once.

Broke this rule too many times to count. Funny, when I do this my scores drop like a stone...you'd think I'd learn?

4. Have a blast.

Never had more fun playing golf than this year!

Moderator Big Johnny69 is on a distinguished road Big Johnny69's Avatar
    Forever stuck between single digit and trunk slammer!
    Here were my goals for the year:

1. Look to get handicap to 10 or better.
    2. Look to play 80-100 rounds.
    3. Make intersectional team at club.
    4. Get rid of that pesky fade with driver, only club in bag that is not straight or drawing.
    5. Try not to take this frustrating game so serious, hey were are not pros right!

1. Handicap is 6.1, but on the rise with poor play of late.
    2. Have played about 50 rounds so far so on my way but have to pick it up a bit.
    3. Didn't make the team, put together two really bad rounds, skipped the third, was just too far behind.
    4. Driver fade is gone, irons hooking like crazy, working on straightening them out.
    5. Trying not to be too serious, but with play of late not having as much fun, but working on improving.

Still lots of season left, see if I can't improve on my goals.

Wannamaker mjf is on a distinguished road mjf's Avatar
    I was thinking I had done pretty well, but when I actually review my goals I have some serious work to do!

----------

1. Take several lessons (instead of just SAYING I'm going to take lessons like previous years).

Ok... I've taken NO lessons. I did have one booked and then had some back issues that had me on the sideline for about 3 weeks. Unless I make a concerted effort soon, this isn't going to happen at all!

2. Improve my ball flight / trajectory via swing improvements. I'd like more carry and less roll.

I think my ball flight is a bit better, but not really substantially better. My swing is definitely improved though. The aforementioned back injury made me realize that tempo is CRITICAL for me. Also, I know now that I need to focus on getting my weight to my right side on the backswing.

3. Maximize my driving distance by getting a more ideal launch angle. Ok... actually I don't care HOW I achieve this goal. Whether it's new equipment or a better swing... I'll take it any way it comes!!

I'm definitely driving the ball further this year. I think a lot of that is due to improved swing mechanics and I'll give a bit of credit to the Graffaloy ProLaunch shaft I installed this spring.

4. Lower my handicap. I'd like to get it into the 6-7 range. Also, improve on my personal best of 75.

Done. My handicap is presently 4.9. The handicap improvement is largely due to the fact that I've shot a 72 and two 73s at Stonebridge. Those low differentials really help! Unfortunately, my index was too high at the time I sent my application in for the Citizen tournament. (The cutoff was 6.6)

5. Play more! Including more rounds after work and when there is less than perfect weather.

I haven't played as much as I'd like because of my back problems. I'm hoping to play LOTS before the end of the season. There's a baby on the way and I've got to take advantage while I can!

I've certainly played in some conditions that I would never have considered last season.

6. Eagle one of the Par 5's at Stonebridge. My wife has!

No luck with this one yet. I've had several putts at it and I've lipped out at least two chips that I can recall. I have given myself a lot more opportunities this year though... It's bound to happen.

MJF

Green Jacket GarthM is on a distinguished road GarthM's Avatar
    These were mine at the beginning of the year:

1. Be pin-high. ALWAYS.
    2. Play more with the old man. Now that he has 2 new hips he might start winning some beers....
    3. Take 6 pts at the Intersectionals.
    4. Focus more effectively during tournaments
    5. Win more skins!!!

Now that we are in the middle of the season In can honestly say that I have met none of them......

1. I am pin high about 60 % of the time. Not bad but room for improvement
    2. Have not played with the old man yet. Gotta work on that one.
    3. Only took 4 points at the Intersectionals.
    4. Still debating the fourth one. Played better in the Citizen this year but still missed the cut. Finished second in the club championship but left some strokes out there. City and district here we come!
    5. Jury is still out on that one. Looking good though overall.

GarthM

Thread Information