CorporateGolfXtra 2023
+ Reply to Thread
    Shotmaker Johnyc is on a distinguished road

Best Course Played This Season

What’s the best course everyone played this season and why. Got to tackle a number of new courses this season and it would be tough to pick just one but there is a property that stands out for its beauty, playability and experience….

2 Iron scrollerpete is on a distinguished road
    I will vote for Casselview, greens and fairways were in great conditions, the staff very friendly and accommodating. Pace of play was great a very good experience.
    scrollerpete

Quote Originally Posted by scrollerpete View Post
    I will vote for Casselview, greens and fairways were in great conditions, the staff very friendly and accommodating. Pace of play was great a very good experience.
    Awesome! Keep them coming.

Bogie Kak is on a distinguished road
    Griffon des Sources in Lachute Qc., PGA like course. and in second place Falcon in Hudson Qc.

Medalist cleek is on a distinguished road
    I only got out 8x to play 18 holes this year, 4 of them at Cassleview and agree with scollerpete that it was in nice shape. I played Carling Lake for the first time (played there 2x) and really enjoyed that track, nice layout really affordable green fees and the staff their are great, very laid back atmosphere. The only down fall is the route to get there is kinda off the beaten path once you get off the 50.
    Going to definitely aim for Griffon next year , did not play Falcon this year but I usually get there 1-2 x per year, another nice course worth the drive.

Quote Originally Posted by Kak View Post
    Griffon des Sources in Lachute Qc., PGA like course. and in second place Falcon in Hudson Qc.
    I had never heard of Griffon des Sources but looked it up and the video is spectacular. Certainly worth a try next season. Brings up another interesting point - for many of us, when travelling the score golf rankings shape decisions on where to play. But the rankings are not only subjective but in some cases borderline crazy.

Quote Originally Posted by Johnyc View Post
    I had never heard of Griffon des Sources but looked it up and the video is spectacular. Certainly worth a try next season. Brings up another interesting point - for many of us, when travelling the score golf rankings shape decisions on where to play. But the rankings are not only subjective but in some cases borderline crazy.
    I like the Falcon design better but the Griffon's green are awesome and the fastest greens I played in a few years.

Quote Originally Posted by Kak View Post
    I like the Falcon design better but the Griffon's green are awesome and the fastest greens I played in a few years.
    Thank you for the feedback. I was signed up for a tourney at falcon a couple years back but a family emergency intervened. I will have to give it a go next year. Looks like I’ll have a two week break mid season with the LPGA event so I’m hoping to hit some other properties

Golf Nut justdoit is on a distinguished road justdoit's Avatar
    I would no doubt say Le Sorcier..great all around,course,staff.👍

I just returned from 54 holes at Black Bear Ridge. I’ve played better courses this year, but at that price I don’t know that I have played a better course for the price paid. In terms of value this is as good as it gets. Conditions aren’t up there with a top end private course - they are still super, but the routing, the elevation changes and overall scenery this time of year, plus the fact it’s accessible within 2:15 of Ottawa and I’d say it’s tough to beat.

3 Wood MarcArt is on a distinguished road MarcArt's Avatar
    I just returned from 54 holes at Black Bear Ridge. I’ve played better courses this year, but at that price I don’t know that I have played a better course for the price paid. In terms of value this is as good as it gets. Conditions aren’t up there with a top end private course - they are still super, but the routing, the elevation changes and overall scenery this time of year, plus the fact it’s accessible within 2:15 of Ottawa and I’d say it’s tough to beat.
    Played Black Bear Ridge as well two weeks ago, without question, the best course I have played this season... Aside from Hylands, my home course(s)...

I'm a regular em69 is on a distinguished road em69's Avatar
    Played a few different courses, but there is no place like home...my home course of Hylands. Conditions were the best I have seen in 4 years, service from staff was awesome and I met so many great members this past season.

Postmaster General big mac is on a distinguished road big mac's Avatar
    WOW----that is a bit of a hard question to answer this year. Earlier in the year I mentioned that I was going to pay FULL POP for my golf this year and abandon the 3rd party resellers for various reasons. A wise decision I think. We played all over---from Cornwall to Cobden---from Smith Falls to Upper Gatineau. 60 rounds with a cart for my wife and myself at an average of 49.00 per round-----all at prime times----before 2:00 PM. Casselview--Nations --Summer Heights---Sorcier--Smith Fall--Perth--Renfrew--Dragon Fly--Mont Cascades--Mountain Creek--Oaks of Cobden---Rockland and of course Equinelle. Hands down nicest course has to be Equinelle BUT-----I have to say there was not ONE course that I had a chance to complain about---------every course this year was in good to superb condition including family run courses. Looking forward to next year
    Does the 2nd hole-n-one come easier ?

Thanks for sharing. I too agree that this is the best golf season I’ve personally enjoyed. I have 98 rounds at Hunt (and counting). But the off property stuff was exceptional this year. Got to Smugglers twice in the spring. I really like the layout there. Just a fun day and an easy drive from Manotick. Played upper Canada for the first time in years in July. Caught it on a Saturday afternoon and the place was dead. Stunning day. Limited goose droppings which was the real knock back in the day. Greens were slow but putted true. Got to play Muskoka Bay twice and Taboo once in August. Taboo is overrated and ranked too high at 70 in Canada. Not a top 100 course in my opinion and not worth $150 plus tax per round. Muskoka Bay is another story. Simply stunning. Totally worth the money and deserving of the top 18 ranking. Hit Alberta in September and played Banff, Jasper, Mt Kidd and Stewart Creek. All really good. For the money Mt Kidd is best. I’d hate to have to decide between Kidd and Muskoka when filling out the rankings. One is 18 and one is 19. Very different courses, but both exceptional. Jasper is more fun than Banff but Banff is more scenic. Played 3 rounds at black bear in October on a guys trip. Really fun course to play money games on. No lead is safe lol. Played 2 rounds with the new owner and am so excited to see where this property will be in 5 years.

If I was pressed I’d say Muskoka Bay was the best property overall that I played/stayed when I factor in the service, food, lodgings, etc but only by a nose over Banff (Banff, just so expensive). Mt Kidd the most scenic. Jasper the most fun. Best conditions are at Hunt. Best course that no one has heard of was Country Hills, a private track in Calgary that my buddy is a member at. Happiest I was all year on a golf course outside of club championship at Hunt was playing with my dad and brother for the first time in two years at Upper Canada.

Anyway, that’s my recap of this year.

Champion goochy is on a distinguished road goochy's Avatar
    I had a membership at Loch March this year. It has always been a course I have really liked (the layout, the location and the "feel" of the place). However, I also played lots of away courses and, as others have mentioned, I really enjoyed every round this year. Every course I played was fun and enjoyable in one way or another.
    Some highlights for me were Whitetail (1st time playing and wanted to play for a long time), Blairhampton down in Haliburton (super fun day and stunning in the fall) and Hawkesbury (second time ever there and had a excellent match play day with a great mate).
    PS Great summary Johnyc. My daughter has been cutting greens at the Hunt for a couple of years now. I'll pass on your compliment

Very cool! Yeah, the staff at Hunt do an exceptional job. Eric, the super, has been there forever. And his second, Bobby, is super talented. The work that goes into not just that course but all courses is phenomenal. Just never ending.

I played whitetail once a few years back but had a great day. Funny thing too - my name was on the tee sheet. As we approach the first tee (if memory serves it’s a downhill par 3 kinda like number 10 at smugglers) and the starter - having looked at my last name - says, I’ve been waiting all day to ask if you were related to a gentlemen who in fact turned out to be my uncle and who the starter knew from baseball years ago. In any event my recollection of the course was very favourable. It’s not far from my in-laws cottage but far enough away from the city that rates are unbelievably cheap. I’d recommend to anyone. Golf is just so cool. Love that you had a great summer! Hopefully next year is a new adventure with new courses.

Hall of Fame jeffc is on a distinguished road jeffc's Avatar
    Very cool! Yeah, the staff at Hunt do an exceptional job. Eric, the super, has been there forever. And his second, Bobby, is super talented. The work that goes into not just that course but all courses is phenomenal. Just never ending.

I played whitetail once a few years back but had a great day. Funny thing too - my name was on the tee sheet. As we approach the first tee (if memory serves it’s a downhill par 3 kinda like number 10 at smugglers) and the starter - having looked at my last name - says, I’ve been waiting all day to ask if you were related to a gentlemen who in fact turned out to be my uncle and who the starter knew from baseball years ago. In any event my recollection of the course was very favourable. It’s not far from my in-laws cottage but far enough away from the city that rates are unbelievably cheap. I’d recommend to anyone. Golf is just so cool. Love that you had a great summer! Hopefully next year is a new adventure with new courses.
    I played Whitetail 4x this year - we did 3 trips to the valley to play 36 holes. It is a fantastic layout and conditions are always very good. Pricing wise, it varies at the time of the year but Oct 1st, we played 36 with carts for $96 all in. Hard to beat that.
    I got a fever. And the only prescription is more golf equipment.

Yeah that’s a wicked deal. Love 36 holes, especially when you’ve travelled over an hour. For $96 inclusive I don’t see how anyone could go wrong.

Yeah that’s a wicked deal. Love 36 holes, especially when you’ve travelled over an hour. For $96 inclusive I don’t see how anyone could go wrong.
    we also did rounds where we played Oaks of Cobden/Whitetail and Renfrew/Whitetail. Both are cheaper than WT and Renfrew is a fantastic course.

We also did a couple 36 hole trips to Smugglers. Apparently they have a good replay deal but since the course is so packed these days we opted to just book and pay for the 36.

Played Renfrew a couple years back. Again, for the money it represented incredible value. If memory serves it was in the neighbourhood of $40 which included a cart. Great that the option is available so that there is a gateway for different discretionary dollar budgets. I grew up on a small 18 hole track and when we moved a couple years back I uncovered an old receipt- cadet dues one season was $42 and change!

Played Renfrew a couple years back. Again, for the money it represented incredible value. If memory serves it was in the neighbourhood of $40 which included a cart. Great that the option is available so that there is a gateway for different discretionary dollar budgets. I grew up on a small 18 hole track and when we moved a couple years back I uncovered an old receipt- cadet dues one season was $42 and change!
    yep, it's fairly inexpensive and a great track. The valley has some great options for sure.

Quote Originally Posted by jeffc View Post
    yep, it's fairly inexpensive and a great track. The valley has some great options for sure.
    Next year, I intend to play on the Ontario side more often, I watched Smuglers Glen lay out on Youtube and it seems quite a course. I like old tight courses, Montebello is my kind of course, what would you recommend?? tks

Brockville golf and country club. Does a terrible job of playing this up but it’s recognized in the Stanley Thompson family. If you’re looking for something old and tree lined that’s public I would recommend Brockville. Stanley Thompson designs are, IMO, loaded with opportunities to score and also opportunities to punish.

Ace KOKO72 is on a distinguished road KOKO72's Avatar
    Next year, I intend to play on the Ontario side more often, I watched Smuglers Glen lay out on Youtube and it seems quite a course. I like old tight courses, Montebello is my kind of course, what would you recommend?? tks
    There are many options for the "out of town" courses....Perth, Smiths Falls, Hawkesbury and Upper Canada just to name a few that were in fantastic shape this year, and very affordable. We played Upper Canada this past weekend and the greens were impeccable. Its too bad the season is coming to an end as these courses have been superb.

Brockville golf and country club. Does a terrible job of playing this up but it’s recognized in the Stanley Thompson family. If you’re looking for something old and tree lined that’s public I would recommend Brockville. Stanley Thompson designs are, IMO, loaded with opportunities to score and also opportunities to punish.
    tried to get book a time there this summer and was pretty much impossible to get on. It is a fantastic course though

Thread Information