CorporateGolfXtra 2023
+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Kanata Links

Pitching Wedge MS1 is on a distinguished road

Kanata Links

I am thinking of joining Kanata Links (club Links). Anyone a member here or has played on this course? I would love to get some feedback on the course. Thanks,

Muthanna

In the Zone 1800Duffers is on a distinguished road 1800Duffers's Avatar
    If you do a search on the topic of Kanata Links, you'll find some interesting talk. You may not want to join the club.

1 Iron john8888 is on a distinguished road
    It is a great course, and it is in perfect condition this year. Can be a real challenge to score well there as the greens are well protected and roll fast. Club link will be shutting Kanata down in the next few years to sell it off as new housing. The other club link courses in the area are wonderful and a bit easier (for me at least) to score well on.

Thanks , I have heard that they are considering selling it off but the city rejected the proposal. I would have picked Haute Plaines or Greyhawk but they are both on hold for new members. The other one is too far.

Clublink will win and sell it off. But they will transfer your membership to GH or HP when they do it so there is no $$ risk to you. I live in the glebe and play them all in rotation. You will be at HP, GH or Kanata in under 20 minutes. The 2 courses in tremblant are a real gift and make for a quick fun get away. Kanata is a beast to get a good score on and you will be a great golfer if you play it a lot ))))
    Last edited by john8888; 07-16-2021 at 04:29 PM.

Thanks, what really is the difference of choosing a home course If i can play any of the courses . I live in old Ottawa South and the proximity is great. None of my golf buddies will join so the other is , how easy is it to find people to play with?

Par gregnol is on a distinguished road gregnol's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by MS1 View Post
    Thanks, what really is the difference of choosing a home course If i can play any of the courses . I live in old Ottawa South and the proximity is great. None of my golf buddies will join so the other is , how easy is it to find people to play with?
    You get advanced booking privileges at your home course.

I'm in a similar situation where none of my golf buddies wanted to join Clublink. I've never had any issues booking in as a single.
    "I'm a hockey player but I'm here to play golf today" Happy Gilmore

The home course advantages are in early tee off times on weekends (they reserve early weekend tee off for home course members) and events such as men’s /ladies’ night (i.e., you only can win prizes at your home course). Some couples join 2 different courses (e.g., one partner in Tremblant and the other in Ottawa) … so they get the home course weekend advantage when and where they want.

People that want the best deal often join HP (it costs less there) and then play around. Since you can add one guest for an early tee off on a weekend on your home course, some regular groups have members from several courses, and they can book any course during early weekend prime time, and all still play together.

It is easy to find people to play with. Over the last few years, I have played well over 200 different people across the different courses. You will find regular partners, if that is what you prefer, or you can just keep meeting new folks (I like meeting new people))).

I find, if you play fast, almost all the regular groups invite you to join them for drinks after and for a follow up game next week.

In the Zone 1800Duffers is on a distinguished road 1800Duffers's Avatar
    If you join Kanata and then it closes, will you be able to transfer to Greyhawk or Des Haute Plaines even though they aren't accepting new members?

My view ….

Kanata will likely be open for several years as the legal process drags on. By the time they finally close it (2 to 3 years from now), the covid golf boom may be over and the oversupply of golf courses in Ottawa will end waiting lists across the city.
    Last edited by john8888; 07-16-2021 at 04:27 PM.

That’s exactly what the club links guy said. They will move you over. What about Eagle Creek? Looks like a nice clubhouse but a bit further.

Hall of Fame jeffc is on a distinguished road jeffc's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by MS1 View Post
    That’s exactly what the club links guy said. They will move you over. What about Eagle Creek? Looks like a nice clubhouse but a bit further.
    Nice course, a good haul out there and the bugs can be bad.
    I got a fever. And the only prescription is more golf equipment.

Eagle creek is very easy to get a prime tee off time at, even if you are a member of a different club link club. I only play there about every 2 weeks as the drive is a long haul compared to the 3 locations that are close to centre town.

Jeffc is right… I check for a nice steady wind before I head out there … i.e., if there is no wind the bugs may eat you as it is in a wet land.

Posting Sensei justsomeguy is on a distinguished road
    Quote Originally Posted by john8888 View Post
    Clublink will win and sell it off.
    That's what they said about Glen Abbey. The City of Oakville did not have any legacy agreement on their side and yet they still got ClubLink to back down. If the city digs in and it goes to court then Clublink will probably lose.

Par gwil is on a distinguished road
    I am a member at Kanata - great track but one of the toughest in the city to score on. Great membership, loads of events and I do not think it will be developed. This is my 5th year and no regrets.

ClubLink wins Kanata golf course appeal, dealing residents legal blow

https://ottawa.ctvnews.ca/clublink-w...blow-1.5682759

3 Wood Jasonreg is on a distinguished road
    That's not great news. I wonder if the city might follow through and purchase the land. Not sure I am expecting that but I found that tidbit in the article interesting.

Quote Originally Posted by Jasonreg View Post
    That's not great news. I wonder if the city might follow through and purchase the land. Not sure I am expecting that but I found that tidbit in the article interesting.
    where in the article does it say that?

3 Wood Jasonreg is on a distinguished road
    Perhaps I am reading between the lines wishfully....last para

"The city argued ClubLink must respect the 40 per cent agreement. Staff also noted the agreement prohibits ClubLink from developing the golf course without first offering the land to the city."

Quote Originally Posted by Jasonreg View Post
    Perhaps I am reading between the lines wishfully....last para

"The city argued ClubLink must respect the 40 per cent agreement. Staff also noted the agreement prohibits ClubLink from developing the golf course without first offering the land to the city."
    thanks, I read it several times couldn't find that.

I'd be curious to know what that looks like from a business perspective. Buy it, lease it back to the course? That land has to be worth a lot of $ so as a taxpayer, it would have to make financial sense.

Hall of Fame jvincent is on a distinguished road jvincent's Avatar
    Based on how loosely the original contract (if we can even call it that) seems to be worded I'd be surprised if there very strong language on what the price for the land would be.

I can see Clublink asking for so much money that there's no way the city could justify the purchase for the sake of keeping a golf course open.
    Not fat anymore. Need to get better at golf now!

Postmaster General big mac is on a distinguished road big mac's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by jvincent View Post
    Based on how loosely the original contract (if we can even call it that) seems to be worded I'd be surprised if there very strong language on what the price for the land would be.

I can see Clublink asking for so much money that there's no way the city could justify the purchase for the sake of keeping a golf course open.
    Yes----I can see that being the all that can be said---too bad. I'm afraid it's all over but the crying. Maybe the city can limit the building only between the trees ???????
    Does the 2nd hole-n-one come easier ?

I'm a regular em69 is on a distinguished road em69's Avatar
    Pineview used to be municipal many years ago...not sure the City wants to get back into the business. Is it an option to follow the same path as Stonebridge? Add levies to eventually buy it back?

Hall of Fame jvincent is on a distinguished road jvincent's Avatar
    I have not heard of the current KL residents planning to sue.

IIRC with Stonebridge the residents, many of whom paid very large lot premiums for golf course lots, were planning on suing Monarch over the development plans.
    Not fat anymore. Need to get better at golf now!

Moderator Team Match Play Champ 2013, 2014 BogeyGolf is on a distinguished road BogeyGolf's Avatar
    Off to the Supreme Court...so our fearless leader Jimbo says...

1 Iron BARGEGOLF is on a distinguished road BARGEGOLF's Avatar
    They wont hear the case, IMO, that is another politically driven hail mary from the City… its over from a legal perspective. The City’s focus should be on extracting as many concessions out of Minto as possible…

Moderator Team Match Play Champ 2013, 2014 BogeyGolf is on a distinguished road BogeyGolf's Avatar
    As the SCC hears roughly 5% of leave applications submitted, there is still a chance for Jimbo... As I work for the Justice Department, I am aware of the odds of the application being granted, which are slim to none...LOL...Just Jimbo saying he is fighting for you in Kanata and future voters...

Thread Information