100 Holes of Hope
+ Reply to Thread
    Lob Wedge Wrexxer is on a distinguished road

Choosing iron set, need help?

Hey all,

I've been playing golf for about 6 years now, I'm 25, and the 2 last year the game has really come around been playing really good (well according to my standards anyways !LOL!)...

Anyways, this year I've purchased a new driver and I'm driving really good, it's a Nike 9* sith a stiff shaft I had tries 2 other with regular shaft and I was having issues!, so latelly I've been looking at Irons I really need a set cause my set is a cheap set and they're due!! ehehe... I guess I could be considered a long hitter and I swing pretty hard, I've tried graphite shafts and it didn't go very well!!

I was wondering the following, What do I need to consider when purchasing Iron set:

shaft important?
    offset no offset?

I was gonna buy new but I've been looking on this site and see some nice prices!! I might go used...

Any advise would be greatly appreciated!

Moderator Big Johnny69 is on a distinguished road Big Johnny69's Avatar
    Forever stuck between single digit and trunk slammer!
    If you are going to buy new, get fitted first. You can usually use the fitting fee to put towards the price of your new set. Any retailer will do it, and there is a bunch of custom component builders in the city who do it as well. If you are buying used it is just a matter of demoing and seeing what works/looks and feels best for you. You should find out your swing speed though so you are put into the proper flex shafted irons. Hope this helps.

Can I do that at Golf Town?

Moderator Big Johnny69 is on a distinguished road Big Johnny69's Avatar
    Forever stuck between single digit and trunk slammer!
    They will fit you, but I don't know if they let you use the cost of the fitting towards a set. I know CB and Nevada Bob's do. Golfworks do. I'm pretty sure most of the smaller builders around do as well. If anything a fitting costs about $50 and if you don't buy a set from who does the fitting at least you will have your specs to take to someone else.

Golf Canada Rules Official L4 BC MIST is on a distinguished road
    Wrexxer,

1. Do NOT buy off the rack.
    2. Have someone check your wrist to floor measurement, your height and from these two, determine the proper length for you.(Jeepers, do this measuring yourself and I can tell what length would be suitable).
    3. Whatever you buy, new or used, have the lie angles checked and adjusted if necessary. If you go the Golftown route, do NOT let them use the Ping system to do this. They will determine that you MAY need "2" Up," and adjust all the clubs accordingly, however, insist that every club you buy be checked and adjusted individually.
    4. If you are young and strong, steel shafts are fine and the flex of the shaft is partly determined by your swing speed and mainly determined by the rate at which you start your downswing. If you buy off the rack, the flex on the shaft label is NOT NECESSARILY what it says that it is. A frequency meter can check this. There is a better than even chance that the shafts will be more flexible that what you may need. If you have a smooth transition between the backswing and the downswing, you can use almost anything, but if you are fast, a stiffer shaft will give you better results. The truth is that the biggest contributor of the shaft is for the total weight of the club. Strong and fast swinging, use a heavier shaft.(TT Dynamic S or X 300's)
    5. If you are a chronic slicer of the ball, OFFSET irons will help a little, but if you improve your swing and have the club head coming into the ball from the inside, then the OFFSET will hurt you.
    6. Forged(very expensive) feels/sounds better, but will not perform any better than a cast club. They can be bent, however, with ease. A cast, cavity back club will not break the bank and will provide you with a little bit of forgiveness, particulary if you hit the ball off the heal of the head. Beware of the marketing hype(BS). The manufacturers and maybe some sales people will exaggerate the amount of forgiveness that a club has, leaving you with the feeling that if you buy the #### made by , that they will do all the work and hit the ball straight for you. This will never happen.
    7. Looking at the back of the head and seeing how pretty it is, will not improve your game. Set the club down behind the ball and if you like it, consider it. If you don't like the looks of it in this position, NEVER buy it.
    8. IMO, a knowlegeable clubfitter will provide you with a better golf club than a retailer as he/she will consider the 20+ factors that go into assembling a club suited to you and your swing. The retailer may "fit" you, but the club maker will FIT you.
    9. Let common sense make the decision for you, not emotion. Like a good woman, you will have to live with the irons you decide to buy, although it is a lot easier and less expensive to change the latter than the former.

Good luck in your quest.

Postmaster General The Saint is on a distinguished road The Saint's Avatar
    Couldn't have said it better. Listen to BC Mist. #9 is especially true.
    Some people are like Slinkies... they're really good for nothing, ... but they still bring a smile to your face when you push them down a flight of stairs...

Wow, good info BC...thanks...

Now does anyone recommend any spot in particular to get this done in ottawa?

jhazelton

Artisan Golf in Kanata

I enthusiastically recommend Don Irving at Artisan Golf Co.

http://www.artisangolfco.com/

I first chose Don based on recommendations on this site and proximity to home. Since then, I know that his service and skills are excellent and I would have no hesitation driving across town to see him.

I think that BCMIST will agree that the KZG components that he carries are top quality and you will be most satisfied with a set built for your needs. Both forged and cast sets are availabe in a variety of price ranges.

Thread Information