100 Holes of Hope
+ Reply to Thread
    Amateur BullDog is on a distinguished road BullDog's Avatar

My first sub-80 game - a 79 today!

The last time I shot a 41 on the front at Mountain Creek I started the back 9 with 5 bogeys. Today I shot a 42 and was determined not to do the same thing. I got a par on 4 of the first 5 holes on the back (1 bogey). So far, so good. I then bogeyed what I consider 3 easy enough to par holes. Up to 18. I told my fellow competitor that I needed a birdie for a milestone game.

I wanted a good drive to split the hazards and had a good tailwind.

After hitting what I thought was a great drive down the middle on the 362 yard par 4, I went to look to see where the blind shot landed. Nothing in the fairway but it looked like there was a ball on the green. Turns out I drove it (strong wind but still a great straight-ahead drive - no dogleg). I left my eagle putt 15 feet short (!) but managed to control my nerves and sink it for birdie 3 and a 79! I got my record score with style.

I regularly shoot in the mid to high 80's eight or nine times out of ten. I shattered the record today! I know that MC isn't the toughest course out there but it does have a 118 slope rating and I only went wild on a drive once - so I wasn't flailing away. So I hope there aren't too many "sneerers" out there - I figure you still have to make the shots to shoot a small number. I guess my question is - how much of a factor does a golf course bear on your ability to score? To put up smaller and smaller numbers, does shot making start to outweigh complexity of the layout? And I conciously try to abide by all the rules, as I'd get penalized in competition so there's no foot wedges or mulligans or whatever...

After a few lessons to tweak a thing here or there I figured I'd get the 79 before the end of my 3 week holiday. Today was day 1 so hopefully it'll be a great vacation.

Hopefully it's the first of many. Now as for tomorrow, I'm playing in a match play competition and I'll either have a good or great game or it'll be my opponents' lucky day when I shoot a 97 or something.

Medalist faldo is on a distinguished road faldo's Avatar
    Great effort there lad.
    I was at the Creek yesterday too and it was mighty windy out there. 18 was one of a very few where it was any help at all. Although that was a Whale of a drive!!

Re: your query. I think getting comfortable on a course is vital to dropping your scores. Knowing what's around that next dogleg is key. Also, training yourself things like "to NEVER be above the hole on #11" is the way to improve.

Of course it doesn't mean a good player can't do well on a new course....

Moderator Big Johnny69 is on a distinguished road Big Johnny69's Avatar
    Forever stuck between single digit and trunk slammer!
    Congrats on your score mmasson. I am a member at Mtn Crk. I agree with faldo. Course knowledge helps in scoring low but like you said, you still have to make the shots. And of course it always feels better to hit a milestone by making a birdie. Way to go. Maybe we should get out sometime and play together at the lesser of the two Creeks in the valley...LOL.

Driver Adska is on a distinguished road
    Congrats there, dude!

If you chip and putt well anywhere, you'll shoot in the 70's. I'd say the difficulty of a course really becomes apparent with courses like Eagle Creek, etc. But if you shoot 79 at Mountain Creek, there's no reason why you couldn't duplicate that feat on most courses in the city.

Draining a 15 footer anytime is awesome, let alone on the 18th hole for a three, and a career round. Sink a few of those a round, and don't miss any of your 4 footers!!!

Be proud, it's a milestone.

Golf Canada Rules Official L4 BC MIST is on a distinguished road
    Quote Originally Posted by mmason31

I regularly shoot in the mid to high 80's eight or nine times out of ten. I shattered the record today! I know that MC isn't the toughest course out there but it does have a 118 slope rating and I only went wild on a drive once - so I wasn't flailing away. So I hope there aren't too many "sneerers" out there - I figure you still have to make the shots to shoot a small number. I guess my question is - how much of a factor does a golf course bear on your ability to score? To put up smaller and smaller numbers, does shot making start to outweigh complexity of the layout?
    Mountain Creek is a "regulation" golf course in that it exceeds 6000 yards so your 79 is a good score. Also, considering the very small percentage of golfers who break 80 on any golf course, you should be proud of your accomplishment. To this day, 43 years since it happened, breaking 80 is still one of my fondest memories.

Perhaps a little analysis of how you broke 80 will give you some clues of how it can become a more frequent occurrence. IMO, there are two ways to score better. Hit fewer bad shots that cost strokes because of penalties or rough/trees. And secondly, short game, short game, short game. When you make some putts, the scores plummet. It does not matter how many greens you hit or how long you drive the ball, if you are putting well, you will score.

After someone hits a long drive you hear the “Ooohs and Ahhhs!” Music to my ears is, “Nice putt.”

Caddy jmr73 is on a distinguished road jmr73's Avatar
    Great scrore and nothing to sneer at. IMO the key to hitting well is just staying out of trouble and avoiding the high scores. It just requires mental focus and doesn't matter if it is a course you are familiar with or a new one.

I should have had my first sub-80 round a few weeks ago (on a course which I had never played before).... was playing the round of my life and hitting everything in regulation. I was even par after 8 holes and then I started thinking about my score and the wheels fell off. Always seems to be the case when I have a good game going. I seem to collapse under the pressure on the last few holes. Sounds like this was not a problem for you... good going!

But when I go to my home course (which I play several times a week) I rarely get into the low 80s. I often find I play better on courses I play for the first time. Maybe because I am a little more careful or more focused. Also, it might be because the conditions are usually pretty nice on these new courses.

GolfPig of the Year 2006 Golfbum is on a distinguished road
    CONGRATS on the great round Sounds like a solid ball striking day went your way.
    My opinions are my own, I do not follow others.

Barnie
    Quote Originally Posted by BC MIST
    After someone hits a long drive you hear the “Ooohs and Ahhhs!” Music to my ears is, “Nice putt.”
    I'm going to go out on a limb that you don't drive very far I agree with the short game bit.. I'm usually in the low 80's but I can't chip and I can't putt which kills me from getting up and down. I hit about 12 greens in reg today, no penalty strokes, but when I'm around the green I constantly turn a possible up and down into a flubbed chip and a 3 putt for a double
    Last edited by Barnie; 07-24-2005 at 05:22 PM.

Golf Canada Rules Official L4 BC MIST is on a distinguished road
    Quote Originally Posted by Barnie
    I'm going to go out on a limb that you don't drive very far I agree with the short game bit.. I'm usually in the low 80's but I can't chip and I can't putt which kills me from getting up and down. I hit about 12 greens in reg today, no penalty strokes, but when I'm around the green I constantly turn a possible be up and down into a flubbed chip and a 3 putt for a double
    True. Clubhead speed is only in the 100 to 103 mph range (that's 1.7 mph / year of age ) yeilding drives in the 250 to 275 range depending on turf and wind conditions, while everyone else hits the ball 300 plus yards.

If you are low 80's with "can't chip and can't putt," what would you be with "can chip and can putt?" Just for one day, I will lend you my chipping and putting to go along with your 12 greens in regulation. Would 72 bring a permanent smile to your face? On second thought, because I obviously can't hit the ball out of my shadow, ("don't drive very far") my putter and wedge are not for loan.

Ironically, the best round of my life (8 under) happened when I used only irons and left my woods in the car. Now how the heck can that occur without 300 yard drives? Milestones like mmason31's above are achieved via the short game, plain and simple and when golfers get greater satisfaction from hitting a flop wedge to 1' or making that tough 6 footer for par, versus an ego boosting but relatively meaningless 300 yard drive, they are well on their way to becoming consistently low scorers. To quote a famous forum member, "How'd you do that?"

Moderator Big Johnny69 is on a distinguished road Big Johnny69's Avatar
    Forever stuck between single digit and trunk slammer!
    BC, 250-275 yds, I wouldn't call that being a short hitter. But as for your putter and wedge, I wouldn't mind borrowing them..LOL. I know the short game is where I am losing strokes. It is more chipping and pitching than putting (I'm not really a bad putter). And as for shooting 8 under (without woods for that matter) well done. I would like to shoot 8 under on one of the holes at my club for the entire season..LOL.

Competitor challengegolf is on a distinguished road challengegolf's Avatar

under par

Congrats on your under 80 round. I wish it was me, 2 weeks ago I could have done it at my dad's club (tecumseh) I was 37 for the front 9 with bogey on 8 and 9. When I added my score for the front (I knew I had a low score but not the exact number) and found out that I had played 37, I started getting ahead of myself and calculating and thinking today is the day that I break 80. Big mistake, I started with a double on 10 and a bogey on 11. My round went to ground and shot 43 on the back with paring the last 3 holes. Soooo close yet so far. I am not a long hitter (average 230-240 yds with driver) but since I changed the shaft on my irons (thanks to the Saint for that) I started hitting my irons a lot farther than what I used to (7 irons 155 yds, that is a lot better for me than before) and I was chipping and putting great that day. Chipping and putting is where it's at if you want to score low. A great chipper and putter can be confident that if he is not on the green in reg that at least he can get up and down for par more often than not. I know for myself that all my good rounds have been when I was hot on the chipping and putting department. I know it is just a question of time before I break that 80's barrier, until then I will keep on practicing my chipping and putting. Again congrats on breaking that nasty barrier that is the 80.
    Thanks
    claude

Barnie
    Quote Originally Posted by BC MIST
    True. Clubhead speed is only in the 100 to 103 mph range (that's 1.7 mph / year of age ) yeilding drives in the 250 to 275 range depending on turf and wind conditions, while everyone else hits the ball 300 plus yards
    I'm in the same range as you my man.. My friends bomb it past me.. Makes me feel like I hit like a girl The good thing 250-275 can yield enough 100+/- yard shots into the green.

I would my pants for a 72 btw

Thread Information