CorporateGolfXtra 2023
+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Divots

I'm a regular em69 is on a distinguished road em69's Avatar

Divots

Is it better to replace a divot or fill it with sand/seed? FYI - I Always carry a sand/seed bottle. When I take a nice divot, I always question which to do. I hate leaving the divot just lying there if I decide to fill it.

3 Wood MarcArt is on a distinguished road MarcArt's Avatar
    At our course, yours and mine EM69, we have a policy that states this...

Replacing the divots or repairing them is designed to get the turf growing again quickly.
    In the case were a divot is not replaced or repaired, it adds to the time taken by the turf to heal.
    Repairing divots is one of the most important duties of the golfers who create them. Repairing it makes it easier to recover fast.
    There are two ways in which you can repair a divot. You either fill the scar with a mixture of sand and seed or retrieve the sod patch and use it.
    Here at Hylands it’s requested that all players use the sand and seed mixer provide by the course to fill the divots, the mixture will be available to you in a carafe that looks like a large cylinder. Fill the divot with it and use your foot to smooth it and tamping it down.

Hall of Fame jvincent is on a distinguished road jvincent's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by em69 View Post
    Is it better to replace a divot or fill it with sand/seed? FYI - I Always carry a sand/seed bottle. When I take a nice divot, I always question which to do. I hate leaving the divot just lying there if I decide to fill it.
    It depends on the size/depth of the divot.

If it's large enough and deep enough that you get right to the dirt and the roots are intact it should heal if you replace it.

If it explodes into a bunch of pieces and is shallow, sand/seed is best.
    Not fat anymore. Need to get better at golf now!

I'm a regular em69 is on a distinguished road em69's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by MarcArt View Post
    At our course, yours and mine EM69, we have a policy that states this...

Replacing the divots or repairing them is designed to get the turf growing again quickly.
    In the case were a divot is not replaced or repaired, it adds to the time taken by the turf to heal.
    Repairing divots is one of the most important duties of the golfers who create them. Repairing it makes it easier to recover fast.
    There are two ways in which you can repair a divot. You either fill the scar with a mixture of sand and seed or retrieve the sod patch and use it.
    Here at Hylands it’s requested that all players use the sand and seed mixer provide by the course to fill the divots, the mixture will be available to you in a carafe that looks like a large cylinder. Fill the divot with it and use your foot to smooth it and tamping it down.
    Perfect. I assumed that was the preferred method. I always have my sand/seed mixture.

Thread Information