CorporateGolfXtra 2023
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    Need a Caddy slash is on a distinguished road

Senior intersectional

Our club is playing senior intersectional at royal Ottawa. Usually there is a practice round. Not this year at royal Ottawa. Anyone knows if other private clubs are not allowing practice round. Not sure if the regular intersectional in july had the same issues.It seems none private clubs are allowing practice round. Anyone members at private clubs or others could chime in.

Hall of Fame jvincent is on a distinguished road jvincent's Avatar
    The same was true for the regular intersectionals.
    Not fat anymore. Need to get better at golf now!

July might still have been an issue for covid vaccination. I don't know a single senior golfer over 50 years old that doesn't have both dose of the vaccine. Why would non private courses allowing practice round then. Just trying to figure out the logic behind their decision.

My guess is that it has more to do with full tee sheets at the clubs than Covid at this point.

Most clubs tee sheet are pretty full. Were talking about 9 tee times only till September 7th. It's the worst excuse a club hosting this event could come up with.
    If my club was hosting and they were not letting other teams having their practice rounds, I would be knocking on my general manager office.
    Thanks for the feedback .jv

Hall of Fame spackler is on a distinguished road spackler's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by slash View Post
    Most clubs tee sheet are pretty full. Were talking about 9 tee times only till September 7th. It's the worst excuse a club hosting this event could come up with.
    If my club was hosting and they were not letting other teams having their practice rounds, I would be knocking on my general manager office.
    Thanks for the feedback .jv
    It's 9 tee times in advance of September 7, and then another 9 that day. It's a not insignificant inconvenience for the hosting club, especially at a time when daylight hours are getting shorter, further squeezing already full tee sheets. You shouldn't feel singled out, most of the clubs are not currently allowing reciprocal play, and also have limited guest privileges compared to pre-covid times.

That said, our club allowed practice rounds in advance of the regular intersectionals. I have no idea if they will allow them for the seniors.

I don't feel single out, it's sportsmanship to allow other club the opportunity to play a practice round. Nine tee times in a 3 weeks period shouldn't be an issue.The intersectional been going on for so long, that clubs know in advance if they host,they are expected to allow practice round.
    Which club are you a member.

Shotmaker Johnyc is on a distinguished road
    Quote Originally Posted by slash View Post
    I don't feel single out, it's sportsmanship to allow other club the opportunity to play a practice round. Nine tee times in a 3 weeks period shouldn't be an issue.The intersectional been going on for so long, that clubs know in advance if they host,they are expected to allow practice round.
    Which club are you a member.
    I suspect most if not all clubs in the city allow guest play now. We didn’t for the longest time but just opened up three weeks ago, allowing guests to play on Sat/Sun/Mon after 1pm. I trust these rounds aren’t free. It wouldn’t make any sense for a host club to welcome 9 guys who aren’t paying a dime. We are charging $140 plus tax to walk. No chance they are giving those spots away for free right now when demand is this high and people are on the waiting list ready to gain entry to the club.

Non private clubs are allowing those practice round. Private clubs mentality. Hope non private clubs can return the favor one day.

Posting Sensei justsomeguy is on a distinguished road
    Quote Originally Posted by Johnyc View Post
    I suspect most if not all clubs in the city allow guest play now. We didn’t for the longest time but just opened up three weeks ago, allowing guests to play on Sat/Sun/Mon after 1pm. I trust these rounds aren’t free. It wouldn’t make any sense for a host club to welcome 9 guys who aren’t paying a dime. We are charging $140 plus tax to walk. No chance they are giving those spots away for free right now when demand is this high and people are on the waiting list ready to gain entry to the club.
    Sorry, but I'm not buying this at all. The reason is strictly to maintain a competitive advantage over the visiting clubs by making them play a totally new course that they have likely never seen before (because its a private course, after all). Depending on the course this could be a slight advantage or a big advantage, but it is an advantage none the less...

... and yes, I agree that it is certainly poor sportsmanship. And the fact that more private clubs are doing this does not make it any less so.

Quote Originally Posted by justsomeguy View Post
    Sorry, but I'm not buying this at all. The reason is strictly to maintain a competitive advantage over the visiting clubs by making them play a totally new course that they have likely never seen before (because its a private course, after all). Depending on the course this could be a slight advantage or a big advantage, but it is an advantage none the less...

... and yes, I agree that it is certainly poor sportsmanship. And the fact that more private clubs are doing this does not make it any less so.
    Well, if anyone feels it’s such a disadvantage connect with a member, set up a game, pay the green fee and play the practice round.

Moderator Big Johnny69 is on a distinguished road Big Johnny69's Avatar
    Forever stuck between single digit and trunk slammer!
    Well, if anyone feels it’s such a disadvantage connect with a member, set up a game, pay the green fee and play the practice round.
    But that’s never been the way to play a round at a host club, historically!!
    "A life lived in fear of the new and the untried is not a life lived to its fullest." M.Pare 10/09/08

Quote Originally Posted by Big Johnny69 View Post
    But that’s never been the way to play a round at a host club, historically!!
    Unprecedented times. Golf was dying two years ago, now it’s thriving. Initiation fee has doubled and there is talk that it will triple. And yet the wait list continues to grow. Used to be afternoons were completely dead, now the sheet is nearly full. Giving up 9 spots wouldn’t be an easy sell. We’ve already accommodated the Tunis and hosted Men’s A class intersectional matches. Club events that are huge earners like member guest and beef and greens were cancelled. So no, this has nothing to do with trying to gain an advantage in a senior match, it’s about an unprecedented demand. I cannot speak for other private courses but this is what I’m seeing.

Singles Match Play Champ 2012 Wilster is on a distinguished road Wilster's Avatar
    Isn't the Hunt hosting the LPGA next year ?
    You really think it's a money issue ....

Unprecedented times. Golf was dying two years ago, now it’s thriving. Initiation fee has doubled and there is talk that it will triple. And yet the wait list continues to grow. Used to be afternoons were completely dead, now the sheet is nearly full. Giving up 9 spots wouldn’t be an easy sell. We’ve already accommodated the Tunis and hosted Men’s A class intersectional matches. Club events that are huge earners like member guest and beef and greens were cancelled. So no, this has nothing to do with trying to gain an advantage in a senior match, it’s about an unprecedented demand. I cannot speak for other private courses but this is what I’m seeing.
    Golf has thrived and had its lulls over the years, but a constant in the Ottawa area has been the Intersectional and hosting clubs offering up practice rounds to the competition. Like people have said, over the course of a few weeks/months, offering up the historical practice rounds would have a negligible impact on the bottom line if golf is thriving, as you claim.
    "A life lived in fear of the new and the untried is not a life lived to its fullest." M.Pare 10/09/08

In any event someone asked for feedback from a private club member. Feedback provided. I don’t even know if our club hosts this year. I’m only providing some insight. Again, the tee sheet has never been this busy. We have suspended all reciprocal play which to tell you the truth really sucks. We have limited guest play available so this just isn’t ordinary times. We didn’t allow any practice rounds for the Tunis so It will be up to each host course to make their own call on what they permit and what they don’t.

Good luck to all participants; if the Hunt is in fact hosting I have yardage books I can give anyone but in all honesty there is nothing tricky about the course.

Putter 7Out is on a distinguished road
    I will also add that pre-Covid the Hunt and Royal extended practice round invitations to participants when hosting any Intersectional event and even for the Tunis. These are exceptional times as Johnyc has pointed out.

I'm a regular em69 is on a distinguished road em69's Avatar
    Has OVGA provided guidance on what is required when hosting Inters?

Posting Sensei justsomeguy is on a distinguished road
    The "economic" argument being advanced in this thread is total BS!

The "A" and "B" divisions in the OVGA Inter-sectionals are dominated by private clubs and always have been. Ottawa Hunt, Royal Ottawa, Rivermead, Rideauview, Camelot, Carleton - they're always in the mix because they offer the best course conditions/layouts that attract the best golfers in the city. Nothing new there - and all power to them. All of the members of these clubs pay a premium price to play at these courses, and when you join them then you don't play anywhere else.

But don't try and convince me that a practice round at Ottawa Hunt is sooooooo much more valuable than a practice round at Rivermead that they can't possibly spare 9 or 10 tee times over the course of a few weeks. C'mon, even Augusta National comps two practice rounds on Tuesday and Wednesday of the Masters to amateurs that have qualified to compete there. This is all about giving the home team the biggest advantage possible - and it reeks of bad sportsmanship!

The "A" and "B" divisions in the OVGA Inter-sectionals are dominated by private clubs and always have been. Ottawa Hunt, Royal Ottawa, Rivermead, Rideauview, Camelot, Carleton - they're always in the mix because they offer the best course conditions/layouts that attract the best golfers in the city. Nothing new there - and all power to them. All of the members of these clubs pay a premium price to play at these courses, and when you join them then you don't play anywhere else.

But don't try and convince me that a practice round at Ottawa Hunt is sooooooo much more valuable than a practice round at Rivermead that they can't possibly spare 9 or 10 tee times over the course of a few weeks. C'mon, even Augusta National comps two practice rounds on Tuesday and Wednesday of the Masters to amateurs that have qualified to compete there. This is all about giving the home team the biggest advantage possible - and it reeks of bad sportsmanship!
    It’s COVID. It’s been done before and it will be done again when this all passes. This is the exception, not the rule. Right now the tee sheets are jammed packed. Could it be done, sure, it could. But as I’ve said things are on pause right now including huge club events and reciprocals so the decision isn’t surprising. What I can tell you is that blinding other clubs in the spirit of poor sportsmanship isn’t even a consideration. It’s a reach at best. It would be the same as me saying you’re crying foul when it’s clear all you’re hoping for is a free round at a nice course when there are proper channels in place to get on and play via connecting with a member of the host course in which you wish to play. And trust me when I say members don’t just play one course.

1 Iron BARGEGOLF is on a distinguished road BARGEGOLF's Avatar
    Ultimately it is an “access to the course” issue for the private course members. In this COVID era, private club members who pay �� are not getting anything close to their preferred teetimes or can even be shut out from getting a time, even on weekdays. People are quite p@ssed about this and if a club was going to takeaway more times for a practice round, the club GM would be barraged with complaints.

Monday Qualifier 314314 is on a distinguished road
    So instead of appreciate the offer to still have some events given current conditions with COVID, people still complain. - Wow! who's poor sportsmanship are we concern with.

It’s COVID. It’s been done before and it will be done again when this all passes. This is the exception, not the rule. Right now the tee sheets are jammed packed. Could it be done, sure, it could. But as I’ve said things are on pause right now including huge club events and reciprocals so the decision isn’t surprising. What I can tell you is that blinding other clubs in the spirit of poor sportsmanship isn’t even a consideration. It’s a reach at best. It would be the same as me saying you’re crying foul when it’s clear all you’re hoping for is a free round at a nice course when there are proper channels in place to get on and play via connecting with a member of the host course in which you wish to play. And trust me when I say members don’t just play one course.

This is all about giving the home team the biggest advantage possible - and it reeks of bad sportsmanship!
    Sorry but you are way off base. You are right, there's no economic argument because there is no lost revenue. It is just about this not being normal times. In normal times, the private clubs not only provide tee times, but they provide post round food and beverages as well. I know because I have been on the committees and we set aside a decent budget for these events when we are hosting as we try to be gracious with our hospitality.

This is not about competitive advantage, clubs aren't that petty or trying to be that clever. When very active membership results in no reciprocals, limited guest play and long wait lists, things are different.

We go from last summer where there was no events at all including Intersectionals to at least getting the events back on the calendar albeit slightly scaled back at some clubs (no practice rounds) and some people are still complaining and coming up with conspiracy theories over an event the overwhelming majority of members quite frankly don't care about. Members care about getting access to the tee sheet with their friends and family. The management and Board need to prioritize that and you are seeing the results with no practice rounds.

To give you another example, there's a fairly decent share of members at the Hunt who don't want to host the LPGA Canadian Open because of the loss of access to the tee for 2 weeks. They don't care about the money or reputational prestige it provides the club, they just want to play golf. That's a completely fair statement and many clubs who host big events go through the same internal debate.

Quote Originally Posted by 7Out View Post
    Sorry but you are way off base. You are right, there's no economic argument because there is no lost revenue. It is just about this not being normal times. In normal times, the private clubs not only provide tee times, but they provide post round food and beverages as well. I know because I have been on the committees and we set aside a decent budget for these events when we are hosting as we try to be gracious with our hospitality.

This is not about competitive advantage, clubs aren't that petty or trying to be that clever. When very active membership results in no reciprocals, limited guest play and long wait lists, things are different.

We go from last summer where there was no events at all including Intersectionals to at least getting the events back on the calendar albeit slightly scaled back at some clubs (no practice rounds) and some people are still complaining and coming up with conspiracy theories over an event the overwhelming majority of members quite frankly don't care about. Members care about getting access to the tee sheet with their friends and family. The management and Board need to prioritize that and you are seeing the results with no practice rounds.

To give you another example, there's a fairly decent share of members at the Hunt who don't want to host the LPGA Canadian Open because of the loss of access to the tee for 2 weeks. They don't care about the money or reputational prestige it provides the club, they just want to play golf. That's a completely fair statement and many clubs who host big events go through the same internal debate.
    You would be surprised how much weight and reputational gain is wanted from winning your Intersectional flight. If you have been part of the competition, especially at the higher divisions, it is a very serious competition.

Quote Originally Posted by Big Johnny69 View Post
    You would be surprised how much weight and reputational gain is wanted from winning your Intersectional flight. If you have been part of the competition, especially at the higher divisions, it is a very serious competition.
    I agree there's prestige around it especially the top tier where basically it has been Rideauview and the Hunt dominating the top over the last decade. I was saying most members don't actually care about it or similar type things other than it may interfere with their tee times.

I Just Won't Leave big easy is on a distinguished road
    Wisdom says…make sure your club doesn’t finish second in its flight so that you don’t have to host the subsequent year…! Although this rule I believe doesn’t apply to the «*A*» flight but you get what I mean…��

Played in the Montreal Intersectionals and although we played a public course - which I know has a pretty packed tee sheet and translated into real $$$ loss - the hosting club provided complimentary practice rounds, practice balls and sincerely apologized for not providing a dinner after the competition given the applicable sanitary rules. This is what I call respecting the spirit of this competition even in unprecedented times…

Quote Originally Posted by big easy View Post
    Wisdom says…make sure your club doesn’t finish second in its flight so that you don’t have to host the subsequent year…! Although this rule I believe doesn’t apply to the «*A*» flight but you get what I mean…��
    I believe the rule for all divisions is that you can't host more than two years in a row. So if you win two at home the second place team hosts the next year.

I Just Won't Leave big easy is on a distinguished road
    When you finish second, you host the subsequent year except if you hosted two years in a row. The first goes up in the next flight, the third visits and the fourth goes down. As for flight «*A*», I believe the first place hosts but the rule that it can’t be more than two years in a row rule applies as well.

The information found on GolfQuebec.org for the Montreal section sums it all…

Interclub History
    The Interclub is one of golf’s oldest competitions dating back to the end of the 19th century while the annual meeting opposed the Royal Quebec and Royal Montreal clubs. It was the inspiration for many similar competitions around the world. The first interclub took place in 1876 at the Cove Fields course in the region of Quebec (part of the Plains of Abraham adjoining the Citadel that stretched to the Martello Tower). Quebec City defeated Montreal after 12 holes. The first inter-provincial competition was also held when Royal Ottawa met with Royal Montreal.
    From the beginning of the last century, new clubs were added, and the interest grew. So much so, that over the years, in group 1 alone, Royal Montreal has won the title 31 times, followed by Kanawaki with 20 wins.

Beyond these numbers, the main reason for the interclub has remained the same: to be a healthy and respectful competition and especially a unique opportunity to meet golf friends from other clubs once a year.
    __________________________________________________ ____________________________

The Habits and Customs

Of the participants:
    They submit to the rules of the Regional Association of Montreal.
    They honor the sportsmanship between opponents.
    They act in all circumstances, as Gentleman.

Of the Host clubs:
    They offer complimentary green fees for the competition as well as practice rounds for each participating team.
    Like the tradition of this event, they host with pride and respect.
    They organize a reception, at their convenience, for the festive celebration of the honors of the day, thus resulting in a memorable souvenir for the participants.

Of the competition:
    It is organized annually by a council of volunteers.
    For more than 30 years, it has taken place on fixed and predetermined days.
    Its purpose is a competitive meet, in a friendly atmosphere.
    __________________________________________________ ____________________________
    Finally, respecting all Habits and Customs, the participants, whoever they may be, have the greatest task, that of preserving as best as possible the values that have always made this competition a success through the years, that is to say:
    Generosity, Gratitude. Humility, but above all, Friendship.

Got a response from ovga on the subject. Private clubs not allowing guest at this time or very limited guest since tee sheets are full. Same would apply for practice rounds and would be at their own discretion how to allocate them this year.
    The two host private clubs in our area this year are Rivermead in the A division and Royal Ottawa in the B division. Not sure if Rivermead are allowing practice round.
    As for non private clubs I assume they probably have more green fees playing and can squeeze in those practice rounds.
    Hopefully next year will be back to normal.
    Last edited by slash; 08-19-2021 at 09:10 PM.

I'm a regular em69 is on a distinguished road em69's Avatar
    But don't try and convince me that a practice round at Ottawa Hunt is sooooooo much more valuable than a practice round at Rivermead that they can't possibly spare 9 or 10 tee times over the course of a few weeks.
    Except, it is more than 9 or 10 tee times when you consider how many divisions there are....Mens, Womens, Juniors, Mens, Seniors, Womens Seniors and Super Seniors.

Thread Information