CorporateGolfXtra 2023
+ Reply to Thread
    Postmaster General big mac is on a distinguished road big mac's Avatar

What ball to use ????

I am a "bogey player" . I still play from the whites (must be an ego thing) 76 years old and can drive an average of 220----with roll on most fairways-------------longer on the downhill ones . Swing speed of 96 measured at Golf Town (if that is accurate). Lately I have noticed that the balls I have been using-- Pinnacle Gold and Callaway Soft don't have the same accuracy or distance. Yesterday I played Nations with a found ProV1 just because it was in the bag. I hit all fairways and the distance was great----shot an 88 in the Scottish mist Any thoughts on whether or not this is indicative. I have only ever played the Callaway or Pinacle and play the ProVs only when I find them Yep---I am Scottish and still froogle
    Does the 2nd hole-n-one come easier ?

Singles Match Play Champ 2012 Wilster is on a distinguished road Wilster's Avatar
    Wilson duo soft are great balls, low compression and great response around the greens , I use them in cooler weather , but they are just as good in summer and they're reasonably priced. I personally use Callway Chrome soft and find them to be good all round , but they are premium balls.
    At the end of the day ... It gets dark

Hall of Fame jeffc is on a distinguished road jeffc's Avatar
    Duo soft are good, Srixon Soft Feel are good as well, neither will break the bank.

ProV's are great but expensive, and may spin more than you want off a driver but are great around the greens.

I play lots of different balls and don't find a huge difference for my game but won't spend $60 on a box of balls.
    I got a fever. And the only prescription is more golf equipment.

2 Iron scrollerpete is on a distinguished road
    I am 79 and I really like Titleist Velocity and True soft. Good distance and nice around the green.
    scrollerpete

9 Iron rutkay is on a distinguished road
    Saw your post and thought that I would chime in. Interesting that you said that your SS is 96 mph but you only get 220 yds with a lots of round. At a SS of 96, you should carry 220yds with any roll being a bonus. Just an observation, and I'm guessing that you have some doubts about how fast you swing as well. But like anything in golf, how/where you strike the ball on the club face matters too.

As to your question about what ball to use, the accuracy part of the ball flight ought to depend more upon your club face than the ball. But the getting the ball to stop part of accuracy and the overall distance is influenced by the ball. Not to mention the confidence in what's going to happen when you strike it. It sounds like you have some of that already with the Pro V1 but do you want to spend $5 a ball is your decision. I'm currently using the Bridgestone Tour B RX when the conditions are dry for its better spin and good distance (purchased on sale as it's not cheap), and the TM Soft Response when things are softer/wet. This ball is only half the price of the Pro V1 but carries very well and has a great feel when struck. Callaway also has the SuperSoft which is similar to the TM ball at about the same price.

Anyhow, my input for your use as you wish

In the Zone 1800Duffers is on a distinguished road 1800Duffers's Avatar
    One can't beat the value of Kirkland balls.

1 Iron john8888 is on a distinguished road
    Kirkland balls are a great deal and so are the Taylor Made balls at Costco. If you rent some sim time at Golf town in the future, it can be instructive to bring a few different balls (including found pro V1s) and hit some shots changing balls on each shot. Then take a picture of the table. You will see which balls spin optimally for your driver swing. For me Pro V1 spins a lot, Kirkland spins even more and Taylor Made spins very little.

Thanks fellas---appreciate the input

Monday Qualifier 314314 is on a distinguished road
    I could be wrong but I always assume that for bogey player the focus should be short-game (putting and chips).

Quote Originally Posted by big mac View Post
    I am a "bogey player" . I still play from the whites (must be an ego thing) 76 years old and can drive an average of 220----with roll on most fairways-------------longer on the downhill ones . Swing speed of 96 measured at Golf Town (if that is accurate). Lately I have noticed that the balls I have been using-- Pinnacle Gold and Callaway Soft don't have the same accuracy or distance. Yesterday I played Nations with a found ProV1 just because it was in the bag. I hit all fairways and the distance was great----shot an 88 in the Scottish mist Any thoughts on whether or not this is indicative. I have only ever played the Callaway or Pinacle and play the ProVs only when I find them Yep---I am Scottish and still froogle

Caddy Gofish2 is on a distinguished road Gofish2's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by big mac View Post
    I'm in the same age range and also very tight with a buck. Might I suggest you try "Inesis" balls from Decathlon Sports on St. Laurent. I buy the yellow distance ball for $10 a dozen and it travels farther than any other ball I have played with. The ball is hard as a rock and would not suit anyone who works the ball and leaves something to be desired around and on the greens but a great choice for us hackers. They also have more expensive balls for the less "froogle".

3 Wood boylebj is on a distinguished road boylebj's Avatar

What ball to use

1. Wilson Fifty Elite ($29.95 for 2 doz)
    2. Srixon Soft Feel
    3. Titleist Velocity
    4. Top Flite Gamer
    5. Callaway Warbirds

Golf balls are about feel and experience...not price or brands.
    You'll find the ball you like out of one of these five

This is great guys. I rummaged around in the basement and found mixture of Pro vs and played them for my last two rounds. They definitely went a lot straighter and about 15 yds. farther. I did however find them harder to play with around the greens. I am definitely going to try out your suggestions and let you know. I can't believe I had 2 games in a row where I hit most fairways

3 Wood boylebj is on a distinguished road boylebj's Avatar
    What is your miss (left or right)? Most golfers slice (ball goes right). Your swing path is out to in. Try using a neutral grip (thumb goes straight down the grip (not towards the left or right). Aim club face towards target...swing club back just above the the shoulder and swing club down and in an upward motion towards right field. Don't worry, the ball won't go far right. You might experience a draw (right to left ball path). If practicing swing, try slowing down your swing speed to get a feel for the motion. Slowly increase speed while still feeling this motion until you can feel it at your regular speed. You can also try moving your right foot back about 6 inches during setup.
    Another thing that could be occurring is that your body rotation is getting ahead of your swing causing the face to open up to early and hitting right. Again, slowing down your swing speed to get the timing is needed.
    Another thing to consider (as we age) is to investigate the single plane swing method. It reduces stress on back and successfully produces straighter shots. (made popular by Mo Norman and used by Bryson DeChambeau). There are videos on YouTube (Graves academy golf)
    If you are hooking (going left) then your face is probably closed a bit and your facing a little left of target.

I am a lefty and proud of it Most misses are left---off the fairway but not into out of bounds. SLOW backswing and a single plane swing. Too many back problems to try anything else. Close the face a tid bit and it goes right---really right !!!!! I am not trying any more to get below 80-----I'm just hoping to shoot another 80 on my 80th birthday-----I've got 4 years !!

Hall of Fame spackler is on a distinguished road spackler's Avatar
    Previous gen Srixon Zstars are on sale at Golf Town for $30/dzn this weekend. They are comparable to the Pro V1. They seem to be on sale every few months, and even the current generation of Zstars were $25/dzn a month or two ago.

Can always buy used Pro V1s for $1-$2/ball. The costco balls are a great value too.

And if you really like Pro V1s, buy them at the start of the season when they have their 4 for 3 deal, which makes them around $45/dzn. TaylorMade has a similar promotion more often for their TP5/X balls.

Moderator Team Match Play Champ 2013, 2014 BogeyGolf is on a distinguished road BogeyGolf's Avatar
    Callaway Chrome Soft Truvis balls for me, I have an assortment of colours and designs on them....I like the control I get when chipping on greens..

Thread Information