CorporateGolfXtra 2023
+ Reply to Thread
    1 Iron john8888 is on a distinguished road

Golf is booming in 2021

wow ... here is a note from Clublink today

Over the last two weeks, Member rounds have increased by just over 6,000 rounds per week or 18.5%, compared to the same time last year. When comparing to the last two weeks to the same timeframe in 2019, Member rounds are up 71.8%.

7 Iron Kyaku is on a distinguished road
    Wonder how many are annoyed with the increase. I guess we were spoiled with 2 man tee times and 3-3.5 hour games for a long time now. I'm happy for the sport, and I'm sure as things get back to normal well see a decrease eventually and calm down just a tad.

Moderator Big Johnny69 is on a distinguished road Big Johnny69's Avatar
    Forever stuck between single digit and trunk slammer!
    Was Clublink doing two man tee times? Everywhere I have played since last year during the pandemic was allowing foursomes.
    "A life lived in fear of the new and the untried is not a life lived to its fullest." M.Pare 10/09/08

Moderator Team Match Play Champ 2013, 2014 BogeyGolf is on a distinguished road BogeyGolf's Avatar
    When I was playing Renfrew the other day, someone mentioned Whitetail in Eganville saw a big increase and had to cap membership at 250 Members... and Renfrew saw a big increase as well, with people moving to Renfrew or joining from Arnprior.

Putter JDoy16 is on a distinguished road
    Golf is definitely booming, which is great for the game!! Even with the dry weather lately, I think that course conditions across the city are about as good as they've ever been (yes, lockdown helped) and I wonder if the extra money pumping into courses last year and this year has allowed them to hire more staff to take better care of the course.

There are, however, some definite concerns with pace-of-play, in my opinion, given the packed tee sheets and more newcomers to the game. I have seen a large amount of the following, that in my opinion are really hampering pace-of-play:

- Bag placement. E.g. next hole is forward and to the right, player places their bag near the front left of the green. Hole over, they have to walk back and then go all the way around the green (with push cart). Or, they leave their bag 15 yards back in the fairway from where they pitched from, then have to walk back to get it.
    - Not being ready to hit when it's their turn (including just standing and talking instead of chat & walk...stop...hit...continue chat & walk)
    - Playing the blue tees when they aren't ready yet
    - Lack of enforcement by Marshalls
    - Groups of 4 less experienced golfers all playing together - which I'm not knocking at all, think it's great! However, without anyone to teach good pace of play habits, or enforcement from Marshalls, it's tough for them to learn how to pick the pace up, without feeling "rushed"

Now - I'm not to one to bring up a problem, without offering a solution, so I think it's important that more experienced golfers - when bringing/teaching newbies the game, make a point of it to talk about pace of play. As well, courses should have marshalls (especially on weekends), and instruct the marshalls to enforce as well as provide some friendly pace tips to those groups who are obviously struggling to keep up, and therefore holding up the course. If certain courses continue to have pace issues, they may also want to consider spacing the times out an extra minute or two at certain times (say on weekends after 10 AM).

Caddy Gofish2 is on a distinguished road Gofish2's Avatar

Excellent points

I too have noticed golfers leaving their bags or parking their carts in front of the greens. Perhaps a sign posted in the clubhouse would help.

Posting Sensei justsomeguy is on a distinguished road
    Metcalfe capped membership this year and maintains a waiting list now.

Moderator Big Johnny69 is on a distinguished road Big Johnny69's Avatar
    Forever stuck between single digit and trunk slammer!
    Quote Originally Posted by justsomeguy View Post
    Metcalfe capped membership this year and maintains a waiting list now.
    Champlain is the same as I tried to join.
    "A life lived in fear of the new and the untried is not a life lived to its fullest." M.Pare 10/09/08

In the Zone 1800Duffers is on a distinguished road 1800Duffers's Avatar
    Line ups at Golftown East.

Postmaster General big mac is on a distinguished road big mac's Avatar
    OK---so who wants to build another EQUINELE ?
    Does the 2nd hole-n-one come easier ?

Sand Wedge Bobbert is on a distinguished road
    Last year I played with a group and a number of times a player parked their cart 30 yards short of the green and walked up to putt at the back of the green which was about 10 yards from the cart path. I tried to help direct them to me more efficient, but sometimes you just can't fix stupid....

Hall of Fame jeffc is on a distinguished road jeffc's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by BogeyGolf View Post
    When I was playing Renfrew the other day, someone mentioned Whitetail in Eganville saw a big increase and had to cap membership at 250 Members... and Renfrew saw a big increase as well, with people moving to Renfrew or joining from Arnprior.
    noticed that Whitetail's tee sheet is pretty open most days where as Renfrew was booked pretty has minimal times available. Whitetail's pricing seems to be on the higher side when compared to Renfrew which surprises me a bit.
    I got a fever. And the only prescription is more golf equipment.

Bogie ladygolfer13 is on a distinguished road ladygolfer13's Avatar
    Yes I was camping up in Eganville last week and Whitetail not to busy and also played Renfrew very busy. No marshals out but pace of play was not to bad. And price was a lot less then whitetail. And Renfrew was in very good shape

Bogie Kak is on a distinguished road
    Golf is a lot more expensive in the last 2 years. I'm with Golf Select and prices have gone sky high with less courses. I've played 500 games in the last 8 years, but if this goes on, I'm goinfg to go back to cycling, canoing, fishing etc.

Bogie ladygolfer13 is on a distinguished road ladygolfer13's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Kak View Post
    Golf is a lot more expensive in the last 2 years. I'm with Golf Select and prices have gone sky high with less courses. I've played 500 games in the last 8 years, but if this goes on, I'm goinfg to go back to cycling, canoing, fishing etc.
    Yes and courses are switching there memberships allowing only 60 games and after they you have to pay to play. Although is a discount but still. Will end up almost $3k for the year

Postmaster General big mac is on a distinguished road big mac's Avatar
    Could not agree more, 72.00 to play Cassel View vs 41 for Renfrew ????? I have found the more reasonable prices out of town. Most of us are not scratch golfers but just want decent prices for what they pay. I don't see too many big improvements being made for the increases---actually a lot less. Oh Well-as my brother says "it is what it is"
    Does the 2nd hole-n-one come easier ?

Posting Sensei justsomeguy is on a distinguished road
    Quote Originally Posted by ladygolfer13 View Post
    Yes and courses are switching there memberships allowing only 60 games and after they you have to pay to play. Although is a discount but still. Will end up almost $3k for the year
    If you are playing 50+ rounds per season then you really should be considering getting a membership somewhere. Yes you will lose some of the variety that you get with the discount clubs, but you will probably save money and get a lot of perks with membership that you may not have considered. I was a former discount club member, but I don't think I would go back to that unless the number of rounds I could play in a season was significantly reduced for some reason...

Pitching Wedge MS1 is on a distinguished road
    Loch March is $80. I would become a member if my buddies went as well but they won’t. I don’t want to risk joining and being stuck on my own.

3 Wood Jasonreg is on a distinguished road
    Depends on the course I suppose but you will find you will not be on your own for long. Add yourself to open tee times and after a few weeks you might be surprised how many options you will have going forward. YMMV.

Thread Information