100 Holes of Hope
+ Reply to Thread
    Putter modz is on a distinguished road

Best Courses for Walking & Best 9 Holes

As I'm new to Ottawa Golf I'd like to get some thoughts and opinions on the most walkable courses in the region. I'd prefer open and flat, but a condensed hilly course would be okay as well.

I'm also hoping to gather some intel on the best 9 hole segments. Let me know your favourite and most memorable grouping of holes.

I use Google Earth/Golf GPS apps to see layouts and use topographic maps to see elevation change but I figure first hand knowledge is best.

Thanks in advance.

Postmaster General big mac is on a distinguished road big mac's Avatar
    Walking---Casselview--Canadian--Arnprior--Anderson--Emerald Links--Marshes.

Hilly--Nations--Renfrew--Sorcier (I don't think you can walk) Whitetail

That's only 10 of over 100 within one hour
    Does the 2nd hole-n-one come easier ?

3 Wood cruxradio is on a distinguished road
    The the majority of courses around Ottawa are flat and easy to walk. Amongst the best 18 hole easy walking courses with nice layouts and conditioning are Equinelle, Rockland and Emerald Links.

Shotmaker Johnyc is on a distinguished road
    Open and flat would have to be Cloverdale. Basically zero elevation change, super short distance between greens and tees and hardly a tree on the entire golf course. Not the nicest course but checks your boxes.

As for the best nine hole segments, I don’t have much experience with the public courses but I was always partial to Upper Canada.

I'm a regular em69 is on a distinguished road em69's Avatar
    Anderson Links, Cloverdale Links, Emerald Links, Pineview, eQuinelle...all good for walking.

Greensmere can be a tough walk with steep elevations and some long distances between greens and tees (worst I have ever seen).

Thanks for the info. Didn't expect eQuinelle to be so walkable as I avoided even looking at it due to its positioning within a subdivision.

Cloverdale and the other two Links courses definitely seem the most walkable so they're going on my list.

Does anyone try to get out for a quick 9 before/after work? That's primarily why I asked about the best 9 hole layouts.

In the Zone 1800Duffers is on a distinguished road 1800Duffers's Avatar
    Perhaps, White Sands.

Hall of Fame jeffc is on a distinguished road jeffc's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by modz View Post
    Thanks for the info. Didn't expect eQuinelle to be so walkable as I avoided even looking at it due to its positioning within a subdivision.

Cloverdale and the other two Links courses definitely seem the most walkable so they're going on my list.

Does anyone try to get out for a quick 9 before/after work? That's primarily why I asked about the best 9 hole layouts.
    depends what part of town you are in. Meadows is a good option as well, very flat, easy walk, and 4 9's to choose from. eQuinelle is probably the nicest public 18 holes in the region though it's near impossible to get on these days with all the play it is getting and members getting first shot at times. As a single it might not be too bad though.
    I got a fever. And the only prescription is more golf equipment.

Sand Wedge pjm is on a distinguished road
    Amberwood an easy nine hole walk... Irish Hills fairly flat - can do 9 there.. Metcalfe has a walkable 9 too...

Putter GoDaddy is on a distinguished road
    Larrimac in Chelsea is an excellent 9 hole track. Don’t let the scorecard yardage fool you. It play a much longer with lots of risk/reward opportunities.

Quote Originally Posted by jeffc View Post
    depends what part of town you are in. Meadows is a good option as well, very flat, easy walk, and 4 9's to choose from. eQuinelle is probably the nicest public 18 holes in the region though it's near impossible to get on these days with all the play it is getting and members getting first shot at times. As a single it might not be too bad though.
    Meadows looks like a perfect option, what nine hole segment would you say is best? 6 and 8 on the North course look like great holes.

Quote Originally Posted by pjm View Post
    Amberwood an easy nine hole walk... Irish Hills fairly flat - can do 9 there.. Metcalfe has a walkable 9 too...
    I made the mistake of playing 9 at Metcalfe but on the 18 hole track that doesn't come back to the clubhouse, I'll have to give the actual 9 hole a try. Irish Hills is on the list but I wasn't sure about Amberwood but I'll give it a shot.

Quote Originally Posted by GoDaddy View Post
    Larrimac in Chelsea is an excellent 9 hole track. Don’t let the scorecard yardage fool you. It play a much longer with lots of risk/reward opportunities.
    It looks like a fun track from the satellite views, thanks for the recommendation, hadn't looked at many on the Quebec side.

Quote Originally Posted by 1800Duffers View Post
    Perhaps, White Sands.
    I appreciate the reply but feel like Par 3s don't offer me much value when I have a membership at Kevin Haime's place. I usually practice on the range for an hour and then an hour on the short game, which I hope will be open Saturday onwards.

In the Zone 1800Duffers is on a distinguished road 1800Duffers's Avatar
    I'm sure the ranges will be packed if the courses are packed.

Hall of Fame jeffc is on a distinguished road jeffc's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by modz View Post
    Meadows looks like a perfect option, what nine hole segment would you say is best? 6 and 8 on the North course look like great holes.

I made the mistake of playing 9 at Metcalfe but on the 18 hole track that doesn't come back to the clubhouse, I'll have to give the actual 9 hole a try. Irish Hills is on the list but I wasn't sure about Amberwood but I'll give it a shot.

It looks like a fun track from the satellite views, thanks for the recommendation, hadn't looked at many on the Quebec side.
    My favorite 9s in order are: south, east, north, west.

North has 3 par 5’s and can be a fun round
    I got a fever. And the only prescription is more golf equipment.

Thread Information