+ Reply to Thread
    Hopelessly Addicted broken27 is on a distinguished road broken27's Avatar

Crosby = Tiger???

"Tiger Woods is good, but he wants to be the best and wants to do everything to get better and I think Sidney has the same mindset," Normand Poisson, Atlanta Thrashers scout, said.

So, let's continue to propagate the hype surrounding this superlatively talented kid. This way we'll make sure he can't live up to expectation, and he'll become Daigle II.

Seriously, is it fair that this kid is touted to "break Gretzky's records" or whatever? Is the Tiger comparison fair considering he hasn't played a single pro game?

Yes or no? Opinions?

Personally I believe Crosby is going to be as good as Dany Heatley, Jason Spezza and Rick Nash, but will never be as dominant as Kovalchuk and potentially Zherdev or Hossa (Marian) or Havlat. The latter two will have to assert themselves in a hurry to even be in the comparison group, but the new look NHL promises to be a haven for this type of player...

Thoughts?

Dan
    [URL=http://www.sportsfiend.ca/]Sportsfiend.ca - Make You Opinion Into News...

Golf Canada Rules Official L4 LobWedge is on a distinguished road LobWedge's Avatar
    He's got a much better chance if all of the proposed rule changes are voted in.

BTW - Not trying to jack the thread here but, if the NHL goes to the shootout, will the goals count in a player's stats?
    When applying the Rules, you follow them line by line. You don't read between them.

Arrow shooter Chieflongtee is on a distinguished road Chieflongtee's Avatar
    hope he ends up with the Habs

Getting Exemptions The Shtick is on a distinguished road The Shtick's Avatar
    Crosby will have a chance to live up to the hype. Will he capitalize? Will he dominate and break records, etc?? Maybe. This kid will be fun to watch and that is good news for the Owners. When the season starts, they will most definetly need someone to help fill the arena seats!!

Only time will tell......

Quote Originally Posted by LobWedge
    He's got a much better chance if all of the proposed rule changes are voted in.
    BTW - Not trying to jack the thread here but, if the NHL goes to the shootout, will the goals count in a player's stats?
    Ironically I think the rule changes will bring the field closer to Crosby... Kovalchuk (IMO) is a much better player talent-wise than Crosby, but not as well rounded, which means in last season's clutch-and-grab-fest Crosby would have fared better, but in a wide-open league I believe you'll really see the top-end Europeans take over the NHL....

Dan

3 Wood 3putt is on a distinguished road 3putt's Avatar
    With the new salary cap, I believe you'll really see the top-end Europeans take over... the European leagues.

Major Poster Chambokl is on a distinguished road Chambokl's Avatar
    Seriously, is it fair that this kid is touted to "break Gretzky's records" or whatever?

When Gretzky was asked 2 years ago if he could see somebody approach some of his record he mention Crosby. This is not hype, this is Wayne himself that said that. I watch him play in Jr. and this kid is awesome.

Believe me, he is the real thing. I saw Daigle at 17, Gretzky at 16, Crosby at 17 and there is no way you can compare Daigle with those 2 guys. Actually you can't compare anybody to Gretzky and Crosby.

I hope he goes to Atlanta or Montreal.

We will se Friday... this will be an interesting night... or sorry afternoon.

How stupid is the NHL. First they are not to going to broadcast this and then instead of putting it at 7:00 PM or 8:00 PM they decide to do it at 4:00 PM. Bettman is as imbecile as he looks.

The Crosby lottery winner wil be .....

Jean-Guy

Quote Originally Posted by Chambokl
    When Gretzky was asked 2 years ago if he could see somebody approach some of his record he mention Crosby. This is not hype, this is Wayne himself that said that. I watch him play in Jr. and this kid is awesome.

Believe me, he is the real thing. I saw Daigle at 17, Gretzky at 16, Crosby at 17 and there is no way you can compare Daigle with those 2 guys. Actually you can't compare anybody to Gretzky and Crosby.
    Gretzky saying the kid will break his record is still placing unfair expectations on someone who is 17. There was the same expectation of Daigle, who broke Mario Lemieux's junior scoring numbers.... THAT is why I CAN compare the two players. I am not saying for a moment that Daigle is as good as Crosby, but their situations are quite parallel.

As for him being "the real thing", at least wait until he sets foot on NHL ice before you say that. So far he's only "the real thing" at the junior level, which puts him just below playing in the Swedish League or AHL for now. Given time, and good coaching, I believe Crosby can be as good as they say, but that's still a ways off in the future.

Dan

Caddy powerlefty is on a distinguished road
    Daigle was a one dimensional player with essentially everything based on speed. When he made the move to the NHL this one factor was not as dominant and exposed his other weknesses.

The following things strike me about Crosby as being vastly superior to any other juniors he has played with or against:

- his vision and ability to see the ice and anticipate plays is Gretzkeyesque
    - he is a superior passer
    - he can play in traffic and does not back down when the hititng starts
    - he does not need to be introduced to his goaltender t the end of the season (vastly different than Kovalchuk who is only now learning there are 2 ends to the rink)

3 Wood wopstergolf is on a distinguished road wopstergolf's Avatar
    I completely agree with the above. One more thing is that Sidney Crosby is a proven winner at ever level he has played. For the best of my memory, I can't remember Daigle winning and going to the Memorial Cup Finals. Sure he won gold with the junior team, but nothing that I can remember with his regular team.

Sidney Crosby will definately be a great player, it might take some time, but there is nothing wrong with that.

Breaking the Great One's records is another thing though, I can't see anyone ever again scoring 200+ points in a season.

Thread Information