100 Holes of Hope
Closed Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    Administrator MikeRaganold is on a distinguished road MikeRaganold's Avatar

"This isn't what was asked for" Shutting down outdoor activities say Dr Barrett

"Right now, the majority, the VAST majority of new infections are occurring INDOORS, not outdoors" states Dr. Barrett.

"so I'm not sure where the evidence was to shutdown outdoor recreational facilities..."

more can be done, opportunity missed...

see the interview, click here
    Last edited by MikeRaganold; 04-17-2021 at 06:31 PM.

5 Wood hx101 is on a distinguished road
    The Ford and Trudeau governments are a gong show.

Lob Wedge fmbcf16 is on a distinguished road
    Truer words have not been spoken.

9 Iron rajah is on a distinguished road
    My kids cannot play soccer or tennis why should golf courses be open! It's a good decision! We cannot have the privilege play golf, go to their single homes, cottages and "work' from home and the marginalized suffer! Finally a level playing field. My sister is a ICU nurse in Ottawa Hospital, just spend a day with her and you will come down to earth on how serious Covid-19 is. By the way I'm an avid golfer!

Golf is absolutely not essential!

Amateur rview1 is on a distinguished road
    Not sure how "privelege" is relevant (a wide range of people from varied backgrounds play golf).
    I thought health guidelines were supposed to based on logic backed by science, data and the recommendations of the medical community.Restrictions are meant to curb spread by limiting contact in high traffic areas or somewhat confined spaces.
    Comparing to soccer(team sport) or tennis is irrelevant.Each has it's own differing circumstances.
    Stopping one activity (i.e golf) to "level the playing field" is not really a science based thought process.

Golf is still an elitest game! The pandemic has brought in Millennial because they have money and cannot do other activities. Here are other reasons I support the shutdown. Most people are playing golf with people not in their bubble. Carts are shared, not sanitized after every use. The driving ranges are a zoo, same with short game area. None of the employees wear a mask from staff to grounds crew, marshals. . Tee times should be every 15 minutes not every 8 minutes. People hang around parking lots like it’s a tailgate part. These are just a few reason there are many more. Alcohol should not be served until we have covid under control. You don’t need science based evidence just basic common sense!

Not sure where you are playing.
    I guess we will agree to disagree.

Quote Originally Posted by rview1 View Post
    Not sure where you are playing.
    I guess we will agree to disagree.
    Agree. I respect your opinion! I’m work in the medical field. Hence my different opinion.

No problem.we all want this to end,just different views on what is most effective way to get there.

Arrow shooter Chieflongtee is on a distinguished road Chieflongtee's Avatar
    [QUOTE=rajah;570258]a. None of the employees wear a mask from staff to grounds crew, marshals. . . Quote

I understand your point of view however if you head to the Champlain right now you will encounter a greeter waring a mask, the person in the proshop wearing a mask behind an acrylic screen, the marshal wearing a mask if he comes near you and even the hot dog guy at the 11th wearing one and even some golfers. Moreover you have to keep your mask on until you tee off and you can't go up to the tee box until another group has teed off. Where are you playing?
    I should also add that golf and tennis favor social distancing. Soccer, basketball, baseball, cycling in groups don't
    Live as if you were to die tomorrow. Learn as if you were to live forever.
    Mahatma Gandhi

[QUOTE=Chieflongtee;570262][QUOTE=rajah;570258]a. None of the employees wear a mask from staff to grounds crew, marshals. . . Quote

I understand your point of view however if you head to the Champlain right now you will encounter a greeter waring a mask, the person in the proshop wearing a mask behind an acrylic screen, the marshal wearing a mask if he comes near you and even the hot dog guy at the 11th wearing....Where are you playing?

That’s Excellent! Glad to hear. I play at a couple of courses in the East end of Ottawa”.

Ace KOKO72 is on a distinguished road KOKO72's Avatar
    I have yet to encounter a course that does not follow the rules. It is in their best interest to follow the guidelines put forth in order to still have business. I know that I would not return to a course where the rules are lax or not followed.

Gap Wedge CrowdPleaser is on a distinguished road
    Quote Originally Posted by rajah View Post
    Golf is still an elitest game! The pandemic has brought in Millennial because they have money and cannot do other activities. Here are other reasons I support the shutdown. Most people are playing golf with people not in their bubble. Carts are shared, not sanitized after every use. The driving ranges are a zoo, same with short game area. None of the employees wear a mask from staff to grounds crew, marshals. . Tee times should be every 15 minutes not every 8 minutes. People hang around parking lots like it’s a tailgate part. These are just a few reason there are many more. Alcohol should not be served until we have covid under control. You don’t need science based evidence just basic common sense!
    Sounds like quite the circus. I know at my course that the rules are being enforced. Even as a member and we are familiar with all the player assistants, we still have to listen and agree to the rules if we want to play when pulling into the parking lot. All staff have their masks on outside and we are not allowed to take them off until we are on the first tee. There is also a players assistant who is watching the parking lot as well to give golfers gentle reminders in a polite way to not stand around the parking lot afterwards.

5 Wood hx101 is on a distinguished road
    This statement proves you are disconnected from reality and/or you reference another country. I have played 3 rounds and numerous trips to the driving range and everyone is wearing masks and limiting the amount of people in the facility. If we were actually following science and recommendations from our medical experts, the outdoor spread of the virus in this case is next to nothing.

And pulling the "marginalized" card is quite weak and very popular in political circles unfortunately.

Monday Qualifier 314314 is on a distinguished road
    Raised a lot of useless points....

Sand Wedge retired is on a distinguished road
    Please do not generalize. The people I play with, some worked as public servants but not at the chief, director or director-general level. I play with people who were bulldozer operators, truck or bus drivers, lots of blue-collar workers. not elitist, they play for the exercise and socialize, In this covid-19 era they all wear a mask at the tee off and when walking they keep a distance of more than 2 meters. I am not a professional either even though I have a university degree. in other words, we agree to disagree

Sand Wedge retired is on a distinguished road
    Also in Quebec, THe CAC of Francois Legault is also a gong show as Doug and Francois are buddy buddies

Scratch Player Gobble_It is on a distinguished road Gobble_It's Avatar

Can you explain to me what is an elitest game ?

I'm a regular em69 is on a distinguished road em69's Avatar
    I have never seen any of things you mentioned happen. Courses have been very strict.

If golf is practically risk free, what's the point of closing it....the Ontario government has permitted many non-essential services to remain open.

Moderator Team Match Play Champ 2013, 2014 BogeyGolf is on a distinguished road BogeyGolf's Avatar
    Carts are shared if you reside in the same household, otherwise they are not shared. Everyone who works at our course wears a mask. Kids should be able to play tennis outdoors, as they are only 2 people, and more than 2m apart.

Caddy Gofish2 is on a distinguished road Gofish2's Avatar
    Have only played Pineview this year but they do an excellent job of protecting their staff and clients.

Singles Match Play Champ 2012 Wilster is on a distinguished road Wilster's Avatar
    Lol , you sound like a fun guy

Postmaster General big mac is on a distinguished road big mac's Avatar
    Let's face it fellas---the governments are running around like chickens with no heads---they have NO IDEA what to do. We have military that have not been used to their full potential----staff and vehicles just sitting, as well as planes not being utilized. The Red Cross just now being asked to participate. I honestly just shake my head when I hear some of the things going on. Just too much political patronizing and back slapping as far as I am concerned. GOD DAMM IT----listen to the doctors and forget the bloody politics---do the job you were elected to do !
    Does the 2nd hole-n-one come easier ?

Moderator Team Match Play Champ 2013, 2014 BogeyGolf is on a distinguished road BogeyGolf's Avatar
    First time I have been called "Elitest" for playing golf.

1 Iron john8888 is on a distinguished road
    Indoors + Close + No Fresh Air = Bad

Outdoors + Far Away + Lots of fresh Air = Good

In the Zone 1800Duffers is on a distinguished road 1800Duffers's Avatar
    Played 5 times and each course had everybody wearing masks until you got to the first tee.

Lob Wedge fmbcf16 is on a distinguished road
    Golf courses OPEN in COMMUNIST CHINA and COMMUNIST CUBA but CLOSED in FORMERLY FREE Ontario. You couldn't make this up-you'd be sent to the nuthouse.

7 Wood yjustin is on a distinguished road yjustin's Avatar
    Not sure how soccer and tennis are compared with golf since we don't share balls, and shake hands or touch flags anymore.
    Totally disagree ...
    and also not sure where you heard or played during pandemic, carts are not being sanitized after each use ? Not correct at all...

I totally understand the more strict lock down since numbers of new infected ppl are high, but closing down the outdoor activity like golf ? Come on.... how ignorant it is ....

9 Iron rutkay is on a distinguished road
    I appreciate how the appearance of allowing golf to continue may come across to the general public. But the public health measures are not intended to be punishment. I have yet to hear of any cases directly linked to playing golf. If the intent is to apply science to curb the spread, then target those business where spread is occurring. We all need to be responsible to play our part because the best rules are useless if not followed or enforced. If there are tailgate parties happening, then clubs need patrol the parking lots periodically to ensure that people depart. But I suspect that this not a common occurrence.

Hybrid jimmyc is on a distinguished road
    Its comical to me that someone is saying level playing field. This is not about being fair to your kids. This is about stopping using blanket restrictions that have no backing in science. Not 1 case has been traced to a golf course transmission.

No offense but comparing your kid's soccer to golf is apples and spaceships. If there an activity that is safe, provides some level of economic support and alleviates mental stress it HAS to be open. The "This is not fair" angle you have taken is simply childish and completely irrelevant.

Thread Information